• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, october said:

I was thinking about listing 150 books, but I am going to wait until next month. A ton of nice stuff in the marketplace lately. 

You definitely learned the wrong lesson from these comments. We are sitting here waiting to shower you with money for your books. Act now while we still have it!  :makepoint:

1 hour ago, october said:

I was thinking about listing 150 books, but I am going to wait until next month. A ton of nice stuff in the marketplace lately. 

Even the Kardashians can't keep up when @october rocks a sales thread.

Related image

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

$600 book and the seller can't take it out of the bag?  No grade or back pic either.  

@comicdonna Hey bud.If you have some recommendations for me, please let me know. I dont sale often so its an opportunity to learn and do better. But you definetly dont need to call me out as if im misleading someone. But thanks for teaching me of my areas of improvement.

1 minute ago, Comic Consortium said:

@comicdonna Hey bud.If you have some recommendations for me, please let me know. I dont sale often so its an opportunity to learn and do better. But you definetly dont need to call me out as if im misleading someone. But thanks for teaching me of my areas of improvement.

Posting only front cover pics with the book still in the bag and no grade is misleading.   Especially on a $600 book.  This isn't ebay.  

30 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Posting only front cover pics with the book still in the bag and no grade is misleading.   Especially on a $600 book.  This isn't ebay.  

@comicdonna that 100% valid, but why not tell me or make a suggestion then try to discredit someone. Many people post pics in bags and boards. I didnt claim any grade or condition. simply a book, a title and a price. But I will improve this when i am home. seems kinda jumpy to me.

7 minutes ago, Comic Consortium said:

@comicdonna that 100% valid, but why not tell me or make a suggestion then try to discredit someone. Many people post pics in bags and boards. I didnt claim any grade or condition. simply a book, a title and a price. But I will improve this when i am home. seems kinda jumpy to me.

You posted this and a pic of the front cover in a bag. 

IRON MAN 1 - Unrestored Unpressed. (First solo title)- 600.00

Someone asked why you didn't put a grade on this book, and said it was hard to tell in the bag.  You said you would PM him later.  I haven't seen others do this with a $600 book.  I posted here because this is a community that looks out for each other.  

12 minutes ago, Comic Consortium said:

but why not tell me or make a suggestion

He did. This is the thread where you do exactly that. To do so in your sales thread is considered "bad form" by moderators and to do so via PM doesn't alert other members.

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

Someone asked why you didn't put a grade on this book, and said it was hard to tell in the bag.  You said you would PM him later.  I haven't seen others do this with a $600 book.  I posted here because this is a community that looks out for each other.  

@comicdonna thank you for your feedback. your support to the community is much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Comic Consortium said:
8 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

@comicdonna thank you for your feedback. your support to the community is much appreciated.

How do you put a price on a book with no grade? Things on these boards have been going off the rails for years. People skirt the written rules do what suits them because they have " special books " or whatever. You know like advertising your sales in the wrong place, or going on other message boards and scathing every thing about these boards nine ways to Sunday, etc, etc.

11 hours ago, DR.X said:

How do you put a price on a book with no grade? Things on these boards have been going off the rails for years. People skirt the written rules do what suits them because they have " special books " or whatever. You know like advertising your sales in the wrong place, or going on other message boards and scathing every thing about these boards nine ways to Sunday, etc, etc.

For what it is worth, the rules do say a scan or grade must be posted.  

"7. List scans or an estimated grade of the offered books (additional information giving the rationale for the grade is also beneficial and will help your sale - ESPECIALLY if you do not have a scan - but not required in the initial post)."

I personally think that it should be both.  We are on a comic book board so an estimated grade should be within reason along with adequate scans/pics.  So I feel the rule should be modified.

EDIT - I did think about threads that list lots of lower priced books like the $3 per book thread that have no individual grades - just pics.  So perhaps changing the rule to have a grade range when listing multiple books at similar price points.

Edited by telerites

On 5/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Point Five said:

You definitely learned the wrong lesson from these comments. We are sitting here waiting to shower you with money for your books. Act now while we still have it!  :makepoint:

Don't worry, I'll go through everything first and pick through the good stuff so you don't have to trouble yourself with it.

@october Let's make this happen.

6 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Not to sound crass but if you can’t estimate a grade for a book then you need to move on to other selling venues.

Not true. I have done very well selling here and when I started I couldn't grade worth squat. I am better now but still rely on help to establish grades. Customer service and reasonable pricing go a long way, especially 'round here.

44 minutes ago, Bird said:

Not true. I have done very well selling here and when I started I couldn't grade worth squat. I am better now but still rely on help to establish grades. Customer service and reasonable pricing go a long way, especially 'round here.

The problem is, you can't have reasonable prices if you don't understand grading. There is a huge difference in what is reasonable for each grade.

I'm not saying that you personally don't have good prices, I'm just saying that it makes a difference.

The grading forums are helpful.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

The problem is, you can't have reasonable prices if you don't understand grading. There is a huge difference in what is reasonable for each grade.

I'm not saying that you personally don't have good prices, I'm just saying that it makes a difference.

The grading forums are helpful.

Not being a good grader and not understanding grading are not the same thing. I get a feel for the grade, check prices in grades lower than that and go with those. It is a trade off between grading and pricing. If I was more confident in my grading my prices would likely be higher.

But to say someone who cannot estimate a grade should find somewhere else to sell is a very extreme position to take and does not reflect the boards in my experience. Of course you can find a middle ground and do well. For the high value books, 4 figures and more, grading becomes more important. But giving pictures OR a grade is a good rule and seems to serve the boards adequately, buyers are not forced to buy anything they are not comfortable with.

Please don't take what I said personally, as I have no complaints with you.  However, when someone prices a book  it's hard to price things unless you understand the grading process.

I'm not just talking about 4 figure books, I'm talking about $10 books as well. I don't want to spend $10 on a book that I'm told is NM and find out it's a Good and if you take pictures of books in bags without grades, it's hard to judge anything. Lighting hides defects as well, pictures are not always worth 1,000 words, not in these days of photo shop, cell phone, editing, etc.  Someone I'm very fond of sells here and has stopped posting grades, I don't know why, except I guess he doesn't want to argue grading. I really don't look at his threads anymore.

I buy 4 figure books, I also buy $10 books, or $3 books, I don't think it makes a huge difference to me as a collector. I might not file a complaint about a $10 book, but I want to get what I think I'm buying.

What has changed over the years is all about money.  It's no longer collector to collector, it's entrepreneur to collector a lot of times and many of those entrepreneurs have never even opened a comic to look inside, they are just here to make money because they know that comics have become something that people want.