• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Long shot here.

A local lcs acquired about 5 boxes of high grade Dell Disney titles. He says they're super nice, the kind where the whites are actually white, clean spines, etc. etc. But finding any references for pricing has been tricky. Does anyone out there know of any resource to serve as pricing? OSPG is there of course, but he knows not to expect guide for these.

17 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Long shot here.

A local lcs acquired about 5 boxes of high grade Dell Disney titles. He says they're super nice, the kind where the whites are actually white, clean spines, etc. etc. But finding any references for pricing has been tricky. Does anyone out there know of any resource to serve as pricing? OSPG is there of course, but he knows not to expect guide for these.

I would just run some searches of ebay completed listings for individual issues. That will gauge if there is any interest.

Having rewatched the majority of Deadwood over the last few weeks, snake oil salesmen are fresh in my mind.  "Soap with a prize inside!"

Over the last few years, I've seen this creep into the sales forum.  It's rampant now.  People baiting you with disingenuous, if not outright untrue, titles.  People telling you about pressable defects in books, as if that should change the price at all.  People telling you about the census, and how the other 3 copies aren't coming to market anytime soon, as if they have inside information.  People trying to create frenzy by putting obnoxious prices on a book, then telling you what a good deal it is.

I'm hereby retiring from even looking at the sales forums anymore.  This is no longer a group of like minded people excited to share this hobby with each other.  I've only been around 8 years and I already miss the old days.  If I ever run a sales thread again, I'm going to have some very interesting rules.

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Having rewatched the majority of Deadwood over the last few weeks, snake oil salesmen are fresh in my mind.  "Soap with a prize inside!"

Over the last few years, I've seen this creep into the sales forum.  It's rampant now.  People baiting you with disingenuous, if not outright untrue, titles.  People telling you about pressable defects in books, as if that should change the price at all.  People telling you about the census, and how the other 3 copies aren't coming to market anytime soon, as if they have inside information.  People trying to create frenzy by putting obnoxious prices on a book, then telling you what a good deal it is.

I'm hereby retiring from even looking at the sales forums anymore.  This is no longer a group of like minded people excited to share this hobby with each other.  I've only been around 8 years and I already miss the old days.  If I ever run a sales thread again, I'm going to have some very interesting rules.

My current favourite is "won't guess on this one. Let your eyes be your guide" followed by a single fc pic of a book in a bag. At $1200 I sure hope nobody is guessing.

Its not a coincidence this trend follows along with the crazy inflation and the willingness of people to throw big money at books that were half or a third of the price a couple of years ago. Better buy that great deal now, because it might be double again tomorrow....or not. lol

I sometimes think about taking a break too, but because there are several sellers I do trust I'm always afraid I'm going to miss out on something from them, so inevitably I'm always watching. That said, and if you are still wanting to buy, there are a lot of good sides to sticking with the online auctions. With an auction finally its you and the book and the price you are willing to pay. You win some, you lose some, but that is that. 

Edited by crassus

Weird. I really don't see that much difference from yesteryear? There are still a lot of great sellers here, and I still see the passion. Glass half full and all that.

21 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I hope you reconsider, Rob.  There are always have been and always will be deceitful sales tactics in any marketplace.  I've been here now almost 12 years and except for the GA forum, the marketplace is the place I frequent the most.  In all of those 12 years, I have never had a purchase or sale go afoul.  I normally purchase from known sellers or those with some credentials.  

We do get a lot more low-post sellers which I guess is a good comment for these boards as they have gained notoriety.  I actually have recommended the boards to some including Ebay sellers I have bought from.  We cannot cure the spurious tactics but our group does a pretty, darn good job of policing and detecting. 

I do miss that some good sellers no long post for whatever reason.  Still lots of good books being posted.  

See you at OAFCON?  Met you at the last one via Mr. B's introduction while we were milling around his booth.  

So here is a new one I ran into today. Curious for the groups opinion. 

On 6/1 at 10:14 pm, a book was posted FS in the G/S/B section.   

On 6/2 at 7:18 am, I claimed said book.  Around 10:30 am, seller posted that the book was sold.  

I received a PM invoice around 11:30 am asking for the book price + shipping.

Fast forward to 11:55 pm, I paid via PayPal for the book. In the sellers rules, he granted up to 3 days to pay, so I’m well within my limit. 

On 6/3 at 2:02 am, I received a refund from PayPal (and a PM from the seller) that the book could no longer be located and therefore, a refund was the only option left.  

I’m a bit confused how a book can be listed for sale at 10 pm (with multiple photos), sold 10 hours later, confirmed by the seller, invoiced by the seller and then once payment is received, the “book goes missing?”

discuss....

2 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

On 6/2 at 7:18 am, I claimed said book.  Around 10:30 am, seller posted that the book was sold.  

Fast forward to 11:55 pm, I paid via PayPal for the book. In the sellers rules, he granted up to 3 days to pay, so I’m well within my limit. 

On 6/3 at 2:02 am, I received a refund from PayPal (and a PM from the seller) that the book could no longer be located and therefore, a refund was the only option left.  

I’m a bit confused how a book can be listed for sale at 10 pm (with multiple photos), sold 10 hours later, confirmed by the seller, invoiced by the seller and then once payment is received, the “book goes missing?”

discuss....

I would like an explanation from the seller at least.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:19 AM, entalmighty1 said:

People telling you about pressable defects in books, as if that should change the price at all. 

I think it's a bit worse than that.  It now seems common, if not frequent, that the assigned grade includes assumption that book will be pressed and that advertised grade is not the comic in current state, but a future hypothetical grade book would probably receive after a pro press/cleaning.  "oh, back cover a little dirty but a cleaning will fix that right up …"

3 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

discuss....

The correct way for the seller to handle this situation (if he did actually lose the book) is to PM you with an explanation, apologize, and ask how it can be resolved to your satisfaction. Not a unilateral, my bad, here's your money back, nothing to see here.

3 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

discuss....

I'd like to know what thread this was?

26 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

41F448FB-C55B-488D-8075-30C2103AE07D.thumb.png.de5b9a96a2722be9932fc9176d32e182.png

Now we know the likely reason why the book "went missing" since GPA is $700.

He set the terms and you paid within the time period.

Whether you believe him or not, you could nominate him for PL.

He could make you whole by providing you with the difference between what you paid and the gpa average of $700.

He could offer you something for free as a courtesy and apology.

There's lots of things that could be done to make it right. Saying my bad, here's your money back, is not enough. 2c

DISCLAIMER - this is of course based on only one side's retelling of the situation and without seeing the PM's.