• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, faster friends said:

I would like an explanation from the seller at least.

I totally agree with this statement. I don't think any other discussion is appropriate until Brock at least tries to contact him again. There might actually be a reasonable explanation, this boarder as far as I know has never been trouble before. 

57 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

I did reach out to the seller asking for some clarification.  The PM has yet to be read. 

Needless to say, I find it unlikely the book just disappeared. 

I agreed that it probably did not disappear, but it was a short time ago. Maybe send him a new PM and give him 48 hours.?

On 6/2/2019 at 5:19 AM, entalmighty1 said:

This is no longer a group of like minded people excited to share this hobby with each other.  I've only been around 8 years and I already miss the old days.

I would like to think there are still many of us that do like to share this hobby like it should be, and run our sales threads the right way without all the hype and added fluff.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I agreed that it probably did not disappear, but it was a short time ago. Maybe send him a new PM and give him 48 hours.?

This is what I would do I would also say something in the new PM like “people think I should nominate you for the probation list but I wanted to give you a chance to look for the book and let me know what’s up”

On 6/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, Point Five said:
On 5/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Long shot here.

A local lcs acquired about 5 boxes of high grade Dell Disney titles. He says they're super nice, the kind where the whites are actually white, clean spines, etc. etc. But finding any references for pricing has been tricky. Does anyone out there know of any resource to serve as pricing? OSPG is there of course, but he knows not to expect guide for these.

I would just run some searches of ebay completed listings for individual issues. That will gauge if there is any interest.

This spring I picked up about 800 1950s Dells, Little Lulu, Uncle Scrooge, Tubby, Bugs Bunny, etc, recently, all with great color and nice shape other that some spine ticks, average grade about fn/vf.  They don't sell quickly but pretty well every show I've set up I've sold $100 to $200 worth.  I price them at Overstreet and then discount them 25%.  These books are very common in  low grade - kids read them to death -  but don't come up enough in mid to high grade and do trickle out.

Interesting covers or great gag covers or holiday themed covers sell better.  Uncle Scrooge actually seem the toughest to sell probably because they guide for the most in decent shape.  Generally the older the better although I've sold a good pile of early 1960s Walt Disney's Comics and Stories primarily because they were nice and I've never seen nice ones before.  For me probably the slowest sellers are Four Colors adapting movies as they seem to be very common and not many people care about these old movies.

41 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I basically laid out the chain of events via PM and stated I find it hard to believe the book vanished.  

I have followed up with another PM asking for an explanation.  I will wait for a reply (if one comes).  My first reply was 5 hours ago and is still unread.  The boarder in question was active 40 min ago...🤔

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

That's not accurate.

It is a PL issue if someone refuses or is unable to complete the transaction. Returning the money does not alleviate the seller of the responsibility to complete the sale.

Amen.  I'd like to hear from the seller but I'd vote yes to PL based on what we know now.

A deal is a deal.  The buyer fulfilled his end of the transaction and the seller did not.  Making the buyer whole means sending him the book he paid for.

3 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

@skypinkblu @Red84

here are shots of the PMs exchanged and the replies 140E2B29-31B6-48D9-9630-03560B3F0077.jpeg.6027b9f12d7b61a9de1d1bfab31b75a5.jpeg748E4E2F-5699-4FC9-A040-E4D5CA472D4D.jpeg.445d927b0b26d395c87ccdd3cad32fff.jpeg9294CF8A-CF04-423E-B6E2-39674B3CA128.jpeg.86bad2f6338058858e8460a4d4128959.jpeg

I don't have any inside info but I have had book occasionally go missing which is never a good thing.  I scan a ton of books and then it may be 3 or 4 months until I get around to posting the books up for sale especially if work gets busy.  The fact that he posted the books up for sale does not mean he had the book in hand on Saturday and it got lost on Sunday.  If he took the pictures on Saturday right before the sale then i agree that is highly suspect.

1 hour ago, Red84 said:

Where is the "So this is embarrassing, but I'm having trouble locating the book. I will keep looking."

Where is the "I'm sorry for this screw up. It won't happen again."

I don't see the contrition. 

I do understand misplacing a book; happens to all of us. It's the immediate refund (as it if will never be found) and the lack of a note saying "misplaced it, we will look, it may take a couple days" that is throwing flags.

12 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I do understand misplacing a book; happens to all of us. It's the immediate refund (as it if will never be found) and the lack of a note saying "misplaced it, we will look, it may take a couple days" that is throwing flags.

Indeed, if I sold a book and couldn’t find it the next day I wouldn’t issue a immediate refund and end the transaction, I’d look for it.  The instant refund and the disinterest in looking for the book tell me it’s not really lost.

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Indeed, if I sold a book and couldn’t find it the next day I wouldn’t issue a immediate refund and end the transaction, I’d look for it. 

bingo, if it's misplaced tell the buyer and look for it. it didn't get up and walk out of the house. Immediate refund? Baah

22 minutes ago, DR.X said:

bingo, if it's misplaced tell the buyer and look for it. it didn't get up and walk out of the house. Immediate refund? Baah

Yep, this is a damning fact that is hard to rebut.  Classic breach of contract here.  

I agree it looks sketchy, but one thing that makes it problematic for the PL especially is that it is impossible on the seller's part to prove that the book is lost. Conversely, how can the skeptic prove something is not really "lost" except by finding it? I realize most people aren't buying the story, but hypothetically speaking, if it really is lost, there is nothing the seller will be able to do to prove its lost. Its going to be a "he said...vs...he thinks its bs" leading to a dead end, and no way therefore for the transaction to be resolved. I also agree with @1Cool and @Bird that it is hard to think of precedents for a PL. 

There is currently one member, MrMysterio, who is the subject of a thread in the PL forum, who did a vanishing act but not before refunding his customers' money. He has not been added to the PL list formally, and I am guessing it is because of reluctance to add someone who has given full refunds... (shrug)