• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't really need one.  I should have dealt with it in a pm.  My bad.

However, I will always wonder if the reaction I got would have been any better that way - not sure.

I don't think sending an easily identified frankenbook like that to CGC to prove it was unrestored was the best method of action to support a "libel case". 

I probably would have asked someone to point the restoration out to me, and checked it out myself, using the situation as a learning experience.

I think everyone here probably has a story of being fed books with undisclosed restoration, and advanced collectors are probably finding new examples in their collection once in awhile.

Restoration detection skills are good to have if you're actively engaged in buying or selling raw books, especially with the cost of books these days.

If a book is listed in the marketplace and CLEARLY has undisclosed resto, I think it's ok for a member to point this out, alerting others.  With that said, i'm off to take care of the wife, kids and lawn.  

Edited by comicdonna

15 hours ago, Bejack3 said:

Book graded from CGC, had restoration and I will own that. Resto was not disclosed to me at the time of purchase but I am temporarily transitioning out of comics so no use going down that rabbit hole. I will discontinue selling raw books on here.

I commend you for admitting you were wrong.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
8 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I think the seller lost all chances for a resto detecting job at CGC.  

Possibly some friendship opportunities.

Lots of em

31 minutes ago, DR.X said:
33 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
40 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Lots of em

Nobody wants to be friends with us lawn mowin', kid spankin', spouse bangin' ne'er-do-wells.

3 minutes ago, DeadOne said:
37 minutes ago, DR.X said:
39 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
46 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Lots of em

Nobody wants to be friends with us lawn mowin', kid spankin', spouse bangin' ne'er-do-wells.

I've been doing great mentally since I got that psychiatric advice!!! :insane: 

At least, after the lawsuits were withdrawn.... :eek:

Bangin', spankin' and mowin' - what else is there to life?  :cloud9: 

2 minutes ago, grebal said:

Still, can we afford to mock into a state of embarrassment (i.e. drive away) a young person at least man enough to acknowledge their error publicly in the face of a lukewarm (at best) crowd ?

I mean, our country's turning out new jerks all the time, that's pretty obvious (and there are plenty of old ones like myself or Mike, too, although in this case Mike is better characterized as a savior, if not a downright superhuman for spotting that resto). 

But how common are youngsters with a shred of character?  And yes, law students are still forming into adults, so it's fair to condescendingly refer them to them as "young".

Ah,I think he drove himself away with his own words and actions.Showed plenty of character with his nasty replies and threats,insults.

So he admitted that the book came back restored,it was pretty obvious to the naked eye.

7 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
7 hours ago, grebal said:

Still, can we afford to mock into a state of embarrassment (i.e. drive away) a young person at least man enough to acknowledge their error publicly in the face of a lukewarm (at best) crowd ?

I mean, our country's turning out new jerks all the time, that's pretty obvious (and there are plenty of old ones like myself or Mike, too, although in this case Mike is better characterized as a savior, if not a downright superhuman for spotting that resto). 

But how common are youngsters with a shred of character?  And yes, law students are still forming into adults, so it's fair to condescendingly refer them to them as "young".

Ah,I think he drove himself away with his own words and actions.Showed plenty of character with his nasty replies and threats,insults.

So he admitted that the book came back restored,it was pretty obvious to the naked eye.

As I told the aspiring lawyer, he made the situation what it was, with his words, threats and actions, and finally launching the book to CGC to prove it wasn't restored.

To be honest, I was not the first one to spot the restoration, as I probably never would have looked at the thread had I not received a PM - there were PMs going on prior to me posting in the thread.  And afterwards, when the photos were deleted, I found someone else who saved them all..., for my defense in the pending libel suit.

Anyway, as far as spotting of resto goes, I don't know how you could look at that frankenbook and not think something was up.  Many around here do have an eye for spotting resto - I know I've been burned enough in the past 40 years that a lot of it just "pops" to me, just like particularly outstanding color strike.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

As I told the aspiring lawyer, he made the situation what it was, with his words, threats and actions, and finally launching the book to CGC to prove it wasn't restored.

To be honest, I was not the first one to spot the restoration, as I probably never would have looked at the thread had I not received a PM - there were PMs going on prior to me posting in the thread.  And afterwards, when the photos were deleted, I found someone else who saved them all..., for my defense in the pending libel suit.

Anyway, as far as spotting of resto goes, I don't know how you could look at that frankenbook and not think something was up.  Many around here do have an eye for spotting resto - I know I've been burned enough in the past 40 years that a lot of it just "pops" to me, just like particularly outstanding color strike.

I will admit I was possibly the offending pm'er.Only cause it sounds kinky and sordid tho'

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I will admit I was possibly the offending pm'er.Only cause it sounds kinky and sordid tho'

Meet you behind the dumpster for a quickie?  :D