• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, greggy said:

Lamont and some family members showed up at a CGC dinner at SDCC one year where I was present.  I remember that Jon Berk showed up at the end of the dinner to have a chat with Lamont.  Mark Haspel had a coverless Larson book signed as well. 

xoxo

greggy

That's awesome!  :applause:

On 5/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, comicdonna said:

That's awesome!  :applause:

I could be mistaken.....but I believe someone at the dinner had a Larson pedigree comic and posted a picture of Lamont flipping through one of his old books.  Not sure if it was Haspel's coverless Larson book that Greggy mentioned above or a different one.

47 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I could be mistaken.....but I believe someone at the dinner had a Larson pedigree comic and posted a picture of Lamont flipping through one of his old books.  Not sure if it was Haspel's coverless Larson book that Greggy mentioned above or a different one.

@nearmint was the person that Larsen's daughter contact so he helped set it up so he should have more details. 

not sure why my thread needed reporting. I clearly stated that I had moved the item to another venue. I did not mark it sold, because it wasn't sold.  (shrug)

@Comical Situations / Troy,

You put up a final post in your MP thread on May 26th which you said you would leave open for a "couple of hours" to give me a chance to respond.  You closed it after about an hour, thus not giving me time to answer. 

I finished my sales thread for the week and thought I'd take the time to respond to you since you said I could. 

I encouraged everyone to read your MP thread.  It will give the reader all the answers they need concerning what happened btw us... and also a lot more info that wasn't needed in the least.  Hopefully this post, while a tad wordy, will at least cut through some of the fluff.

For clarity, let's make my quotations BLUE, and yours can be RED.  I underlined and bolded a few things in your last post that you need to compare to the timeline below.  All of the things I've underlined and put in bold can be researched in Troy's thread in MP.

Troy's last post in that thread that I wasn't given the time to reply to...

"Thank you for the input and opinions received.  It is apparent the vast majority do not perceive the snark I perceived from seller, which started the offense on my part and prompted my snark in responses.  It is also very evident the vast majority disagrees with me and that is noted.  I appreciate your opinions, even though I cannot agree with them.  For clarification, the issue from my end had nothing to do with not receiving a requested or continued discount.  I don't feel entitled to/expect a continued discount from any seller.  I offer what I am willing to pay...then negotiate from there if it seems warranted.  Sometimes it ends in a deal, other times not and both are entirely fine.  Seller in this case perceives lack of requested discount, etc. was what I had an issue with...I've stated several times this is untrueI perceived snark and indifference (I say again...perceived) in response from the seller.  I felt his seemingly lighthearted response had differing undertones.  I completely understand PMs are VERY subject to interpretation (as noted by comments above,) especially without intonation, so that may not have been the intention of seller.  Regardless, perception is a devil and that's how it came through to me, and for what it's worth...still does when I take our communications as a whole. That is the point I decided I wasn't interested in any more purchases.  Up until this point, I wasn't worried about the shipping costs because I usually buy enough from his threads we end up doing bulk shipping.  That's where I screwed up and asked him to scratch the one take so I didn't have to pay to ship just the one...and this I was wrong on and corrected.  The back and forth that followed is what is was and I've already laid out what I took issue with.  There was plenty of snark from both ends and the difference in approaches has already been mentioned in my previous posts.  Not once did I try to dictate how he sell his merch, as he implies above.  I would never advise, let alone dictate to any seller, unless I was asked for advice.  This is my attempt to at least correct some incongruous assertions above.  I agree with all who stated this was not necessarily correct for this forum, as I am not nominating anyone for probation and there is no grounds to do so based on solely a disagreement.  I posted because seller asked me too...again an error on my part obviously.  Again, thank you all for your opinions on the matter.  I will leave this thread open for a couple hours in case seller or anyone else cares to respond, as I feel that is only fair.  After that point, thread will be closed as it serves no further purpose once sounding board portion is over."   

For the record, I never once "told" you to start a thread there.  I reiterated to you that if you truly thought I was "attacking" you below a "modicum of civility" you had the option of starting a thread there.  Everyone has the right to air their grievances either in General Discussion and also to some extent, there.  That said, there was no one in our conversation that "told" you to do this.  You made that choice yourself, more than likely in an attempt to prove you were right concerning the actions you have taken.  Your accusations were mostly acknowledged by the majority of board responders to be baseless, of which you still reject...but I digress.  The point I'm trying to make is no one made you do anything.

Here is what I said...

"Tell you what Troy... if you think calling you childish is below a "modicum of civility" and compares to "attacks", then by all means, please start a thread in the Marketplace Probations section about this matter.   If you feel you've been so erroneously vilified by me, I welcome the chance to explain this to our peers".  

You were given a choice, not "told".  Just want to clarify that, so please do not say I "asked" you to create this thread.  You were given an option to do so if you felt justified ...and then you created the thread.  It's all in the PMs that you posted.  

Your posting of EVERY PM we have ever had made it incredibly confusing for some to follow the complaint you had with me...which I still don't understand either.

Let's just cut through all the talk and back & forth, and just point out what really caused your volatile reaction towards me. 

I'm explaining this because some people actually thought this was over a $10 TPB that you posted a :takeit:upon... and then refused to pay for...due to my lower than actual, posted USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail rates. 

When in fact, the truth of the matter is that it's really over how your perceived sense of entitlement resulted in you wanting to back out of a posted :takeit:... and also your anger towards the fact that you had to be reminded of board etiquette concerning sales.

Let's get to it...

Let's just group our PMs together in a simple timeline of pertinent information instead of the large, continuous, two months of PMs you chose to post in the Marketplace Probations thread.  

Please note that each line is a separate PM to alleviate any confusion.  Again you're RED and I'm BLUE.  I also put a PURPLE in there for additional pertinent information only...plus I like purple.

FRIDAY 8:05 PM - Great thread again!  If you can do 130 for the ASM, X-Men, GL and Batman books I'm a player.

FRIDAY 8:37 PM - Which ASM?  Already discounted a lot on these, but something to think about.  Hope you're doing well during all this pandemic stuff.

FRIDAY 8:38 PM - The AF15 cover

FRIDAY 8:40 PM - All the large omnis I've bought I paid around 45 regardless of title or subject, so that's where I'm looking to buy on the larger ones.  Smaller ones depends on subject, etc.

FRIDAY 8:49 PM - Gotcha  ;) Something to think about :)  xxx ooo Rupp

SATURDAY 4:24 PM - The ASM omnibus that was part of Troy's offer sells in the thread to another buyer.

SATURDAY 9:44 PM - You can go ahead and scratch my take from the thread please.  I won't be buying anything else and just realized the shipping is 14 bucks for the one book and I'm not paying to ship one.  thanks

These seven lines are the basis of this entire debacle.  This is everything said between Friday at 8:05 PM and Saturday at 9:44 PM concerning your issues with me.   This is the point where you had decided you weren't going to honor your placed :takeit:on another item in the thread and not make anymore purchases.

You state in my last response above that you perceived "snark and indifference", correct?  I cannot understand how one could see this as snark?  The "Gotcha" covers your statement that you can get the items cheaper elsewhere... while the "something to think about" leaves the low offer request open for discussion.  The indifference is implied since I didn't take you up on your offer.  

Instead of you realizing this might be a low offer, especially since I didn't immediately agree to it, you were struck with the revelation that I just had to be answering you in a snarky manner? 

That's incredibly presumptive especially since we have gotten along fine and I've appeased your need for discounts in the past.  Please add in the fact that approximately 11 minutes prior to your ill-conceived perception of my response, I enquired about your well-being concerning the pandemic.

You state that my "lighthearted response had differing undertones"?  Troy the only undertone any civilized adult could take from that was that your offer of $130 for $265 worth of discounted merchandise may have been to low.  To appease you, I still offered to think about it.

I could ask why you let this fester almost 25 hours before trying to contact me to cancel the sale? 

I could ask you why you didn't follow up with a higher offer? 

I could guess that you saw one of the items you wanted sell to someone else (that's the PURPLE above), and due to some sense of entitlement due to your expectations of a discount, you took your disappointment of losing that item out on me?  Only you know the answer to these questions Troy.

I'd like to add I never made a single "incongruous assertion" towards you or your actions.  Your PM dated 2/28, where you state how you've built up goodwill and then proceed to offer 40% off the listed price of posted merchandise is one example.  You send another PM the same day offering $42 for $70 worth of posted merchandise, that's another example.  Most of which you were appeased with.  If I made an assertion, it's that you expect discounts... and hey that's ok.  It's part of business and dealers "deal" with it.

You state that you  "don't feel entitled to/expect a continued discount "...yet don't see how the context of what you had written in the quote below doesn't support that assertion? 

"...since Im buying what I figure has to be about 80-85% of your thread straight out (making offers and waiting for response was putting us too far behind 👍) if you felt like throwing me a bulk buyer discount at checkout, I wouldn't argue with you"

You said the above to me...which is an expectation of a discount... and I appeased you by doing just that in that previous sales thread.  You didn't want to take the chance of someone else buying what you wanted while trying to get a discount via PM, so you asked for a "bulk-buyer discount at checkout" from me.  Yet you still claim to not feel entitled?

I still feel that all this was a result of you just not getting what you wanted "next time" ... let's not make it into anything more than that.  Remember my quote from your MP thread...

"It is sad that you're only a "good seller" based on what you can do for a buyer "next time".  If you can't fulfill a certain buyer's needs "next time"... then to them, you never were a "good seller" in the first place :("

I feel this statement is true in this case ...and I'm sure that many sellers here have felt the same way at different times in their selling careers concerning many other buyers.  It's just the way things are.

I could drag this out with talking points about what you have said above compared to the reality of what happened literally ad nauseum, but I won't.  It makes no difference.  I've lost a good customer and you've lost an avenue to get discounted items... so neither one of us is a winner here.

Had I known that calling you "spiteful", "harsh" and "childish" due to your refusal to honor your posted :takeit: would have resulted in this reaction from you...  I would never have used those words.  For that I apologize.  

My only request going forward is to ask that you not put too much emphasis into a seller's short, yet polite, reply to low offers... we are just trying to nicely say "it's possible and I’m willing to work with you". 

I might also add that it's very hard to carry on a PM conversation at the beginning of a 30+ page, week-long, sales thread.  I add that just for future reference with whomever you decide to deal with.

Regardless, should you like to try to work this out eventually, my PM door will always be open to you.  I don't in any way think you're a bad person.  This happened, it's over, and we can still be pals if you want.  No obligations expected or required ;) 

xxx ooo

Rupp

-----

PS - yes everyone, I realize this is beating a dead horse... but he gave me the option to reply and then closed the thread.  

Edited by Bio-Rupp

just reading the justification of the "oldest CGC 10.0 from the "X-men" title post over in copper/modern made me feel dirty. 

Just sell your book. 

also, It's issue #3, doesn't that mean the only two books that could be older (of that title) are issue #1 and issue #2? 

On 6/4/2020 at 9:40 PM, Number 6 said:

You know what would make this all better?

Buying my Doctor Who DVDs. 

:baiting:

zzz 

When those feeding frenzy threads are complete, and everyone is done trying to get their takeits down as fast as possible, I assume many of those buyers have immediate remorse when the invoice comes due.