• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Aliens said:

I did know that the signatures were not authentic and I was willing to risk the collecting community and multiple individuals (comic lovers) hard working and righteously earned money for my own selfish needs. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Still not clear if you were knowingly and willingly selling inauthentic signatures or not. 

It's clear he knew

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

A record of these posts should remain. Deleting everything is not the way to go. 

And banning isn't something that's requested. Banning is imposed, not invited. 

And the record of the persons and items noted here should also stand, unabridged. 

Far too easy to pretend this didn't happen. Doing so allows for the possibility these could end up for sale somewhere else and without this thread a simple google search away. 

I would rather not have these boards and moderation be unwittingly complicit in whitewashing the actors and actions in this case which would only provide cover for this to be repeated elsewhere. 

Edited by comix4fun

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

And banning isn't something that's requested. Banning is imposed, not invited. 

And the record of the persons and items noted here should also stand, unabridged. 

Far too easy to pretend this didn't happen. Doing so allows for the possibility these could end up for sale somewhere else and without this thread a simple google search away. 

I would rather not have these boards and moderation be unwittingly complicit in whitewashing the actors and actions in this case which would only provide cover for this to be repeated elsewhere. 

Here is the proof of these books never entering the market again.
now they will never be considered “authentic” by any one at any time. 

62D5C924-439F-4CDC-B0ED-1AD4BA153B1C.jpeg

F312BB17-74EE-4DCF-A183-0798B3CE0D19.jpeg

273DA22F-410F-43FB-802D-589BDAC436A5.jpeg

60BC78E7-A7E3-4500-99AC-4D909D3199CA.jpeg

Just now, Aliens said:

Noted. 

The thread and mentions/references will remain however. 

3 minutes ago, Aliens said:

So how did you figure out they weren’t authentic?  When we were negotiating last night you went from ultra confident that they were legit to taking them down as not authentic within a few hours. Then you deleted the text from all of your posts and from our PMs. This whole thing is bizarre. I’m not accusing you of anything, as I said in my PMs last night I thought they could be legit myself, just trying to understand how you so quickly determined that they were fakes?

Also do you mind sharing the name of the antiquarian dealer that you bought them from?   Many board members would probably like to hear that so we don’t buy from that person ever again.  

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

So cliffsnotes:

Seller had some books he knew had fake signatures on them (Lee & Ditko). 

Seller ended up in a financial situation where he needed money

Seller tried to sell known fakes on the board as legit. Including some story around the provenance of the signatures. 

Seller got called out for the books (or maybe the provenance) being fake. 

Seller then pulled sales thread and tried to wipe out as much evidence as possible.

Community smells something fishy
Seller goes for big swing a asks for everything around him and his ID  and his comic book existence to be deleted as a show of repentance for selling apparently fake autographs

Community smells something even fishier

Seller confesses, dumps a sob story (real or fake unknown) and admits he was selling comics he knew had fake signatures. 

Community starts digging in on his reasons for wanting all evidence of the books and the transgression to be wiped out. 

Seller posts apparently now defaced copies of the comic with the fake signatures scribbled out to show that they will not be offered elsewhere or attempted to be passed off as authentic elsewhere. 

...did I get it? 

Yeah that would be my take on it too

I guess we still need to know, how did he find out they were fakes and or did he fake them.

I am always sad to see books defaced, they dont look too HG and I guess its better than some poor unwitting soul buying them as signed in the future

Major overreaction asking for account to be deleted I think, unless planning to come back in a new clean ID :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, SkOw said:

So how did you figure out they weren’t authentic?  When we were negotiating last night you went from ultra confident that they were legit to taking them down as not authentic within a few hours. Then you deleted the text from all of your posts and from our PMs. This whole thing is bizarre. I’m not accusing you of anything, as I said in my PMs last night I thought they could be legit myself, just trying to understand how you so quickly determined that they were fakes?

Also do you mind sharing the name of the antiquarian dealer that you bought them from?   Many board members would probably like to hear that so we don’t buy from that person ever again.  

Don't worry about accusing him....

1 hour ago, Aliens said:

I did know that the signatures were not authentic and I was willing to risk the collecting community and multiple individuals (comic lovers) hard working and righteously earned money for my own selfish needs.

He's confessed. 

For the record here are some pictures of the books. I have my doubts that they have been blacked out like he said.  Be on the lookout for these fakes from this scammer. 

D4ACB3BB-75AD-4BA5-8466-DDBDB8A5F85D.jpeg.c201ddd8e8d2a80ea29960af35c02553.jpeg056F3112-7A66-448D-B932-C75BBA6DC60D.jpeg.2600c83646cae36f43481ebf57aa74f2.jpeg

21BF1789-FFCD-423A-A056-8E71AD9970CA.jpeg4B413FB3-26A9-4A3C-B40B-0A98832A09BD.jpeg.3ce2c7b474d0e891952b40d8a0ba970c.jpeg

6A94AE50-B8B8-49B8-8875-9E32AA1B32EE.jpeg.452f190010d2e473955564851d65ab21.jpeg

85D9D738-F0D3-4FEA-B19B-CC67D6330A12.jpeg.ffc79309e7684372fb7eabafbe57868a.jpegCE9F7625-4856-4F77-86CC-5C7A112A1C38.jpeg.68923914f9546bcdc54ed15c55b6ca65.jpeg361EEF7D-5B34-4511-BCEC-BA3043939EAE.thumb.jpeg.caf31c57068887f2d4e7f8bb92c3c1a8.jpeg

5E6992EC-FA5D-4983-8A66-6E7FF6792071.jpeg

Edited by SkOw

13 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

So cliffsnotes:

Seller had some books he knew had fake signatures on them (Lee & Ditko). 

Seller ended up in a financial situation where he needed money

Seller tried to sell known fakes on the board as legit. Including some story around the provenance of the signatures. 

Seller got called out for the books (or maybe the provenance) being fake. 

Seller then pulled sales thread and tried to wipe out as much evidence as possible.

Community smells something fishy
Seller goes for big swing a asks for everything around him and his ID  and his comic book existence to be deleted as a show of repentance for selling apparently fake autographs

Community smells something even fishier

Seller confesses, dumps a sob story (real or fake unknown) and admits he was selling comics he knew had fake signatures. 

Community starts digging in on his reasons for wanting all evidence of the books and the transgression to be wiped out. 

Seller posts apparently now defaced copies of the comic with the fake signatures scribbled out to show that they will not be offered elsewhere or attempted to be passed off as authentic elsewhere. 

...did I get it? 

Pretty much except that maybe he did the signatures himself. 

I'm glad he confessed.

Statement could have been a little more succinct.  

"I faked or tried to pass already faked signatures because I needed money,I'm sorry."

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Yeah, that one is still up in the air, depending on if you want to believe his acquisition story or not.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm glad he confessed.

Statement could have been a little more succinct.  

"I faked or tried to pass already faked signatures because I needed money,I'm sorry."

A little less on the "you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" language 

and 

A little more full disclosure of the important details would have been appreciated. 

I agree with you. 

Also for the record (and he deleted the text from our PMs otherwise I would have posted screen caps) here is what he told me when I asked about the return policy if they weren’t authentic. This is when I figured something was up:

Thank you once again for the compliment, I think they are too.

I have looked over them for many years and am convinced they are authentic, but I did not personally witness them get signed, as I said in the description, I purchased them many years ago from a trusted antiquarian dealer, so my own convincing opinion and honor on that can really only go so far. I hope you understand. Now, on the returning, if this was any other time I would say yes, but with the virus (the reason why, alas, I am letting them go) all the money collected from these sales are going strait to benefitting my current, rather "tragic" situation, and thus getting money back to anyone would be tough. 

I would really say look at the signatures carefully and study them well, and be certain before you do anything. I do not want anyone to be unhappy with this, and god forbid, if any company states them not to be authentic, I would be utterly stabbed with pain. You have the reputation of my honor and dignity on them being authentic, but of course, once again, that only goes so far. 

It is a tricky business, but if you feel confident I hope I can get them to someone who would, indeed, hold it as a "center" piece, as I believe it deserves that very much so, as they are very, very special.

Once again thank you for the interest.

Cordially yours, Vincent

Just now, comix4fun said:

A little less on the "you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" language 

and 

A little more full disclosure of the important details would have been appreciated. 

I agree with you. 

I agree that it should not be deleted. I just wrote to the Admins...:wishluck: