• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Jmchnaway said:

Hey everyone, I'd like to start my first forum sales post and I read the rules, but was unclear if what I wanted to do below was allowed.

Instead of claims on the thread, I'd like to post direct Paypal "Add to Cart" buttons/links for each of the books so you're essentially claiming by purchasing. I would only post the links on the forum post until it's sold or moved to another sales venue.

What do you all think, is this allowable under the guidelines? Thanks in advance.

It might feel better for potential buyers since this is your first sales thread to just request payment within a day of receiving an invoice/PM or so instead of requesting immediate payment via a paypal button.  You should state that in your deets so no one is caught off guard.  I really think most folks pay quickly.  I know I pay the same day as receiving a PM but usually right after I buy something, I PM the seller and ask for their PP addy unless their deets say wait until you receive an invoice. 

Waiting a day is not a long wait and if something goes awry, just pop it back up for sale.  You can state no probation of HOS list dregs buy but it is your responsibility to review those lists as nothing automatically prohibits them from staying on the boards and participating.  

Good luck. :smile:

2 hours ago, telerites said:

It might feel better for potential buyers since this is your first sales thread to just request payment within a day of receiving an invoice/PM or so instead of requesting immediate payment via a paypal button.  You should state that in your deets so no one is caught off guard.  I really think most folks pay quickly.  I know I pay the same day as receiving a PM but usually right after I buy something, I PM the seller and ask for their PP addy unless their deets say wait until you receive an invoice. 

Waiting a day is not a long wait and if something goes awry, just pop it back up for sale.  You can state no probation of HOS list dregs buy but it is your responsibility to review those lists as nothing automatically prohibits them from staying on the boards and participating.  

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks @telerites @thehumantorch @comicdonna for the replies and tips, they're definitely reassuring! I'll have to keep in mind to review the HOS and probation lists beforehand.

Been a while since I’ve used marketplace for selling.  It seems like a seller used to be able to sell books that were en route from CGC if they wanted to back a few years ago.  Is that still the case?  I have 25 books heading my way and the majority of them will be for sale.

24 minutes ago, comicalgems said:

Been a while since I’ve used marketplace for selling.  It seems like a seller used to be able to sell books that were en route from CGC if they wanted to back a few years ago.  Is that still the case?  I have 25 books heading my way and the majority of them will be for sale.

I don't see why that wouldn't be okay since you know the grades already. After re-reading the rules, Rule #7 below says a scan is not needed and I do not see where the book must be in hand.

My personal feeling is you should have the book in hand with scans.  I assume your thread rules would be I'll Take pending scan which always seems cumbersome to me.  If you have raw scans, I think posting those would be great but if you are having them pressed, that could change the appearance of the raw book.  Also on the rare occasion that a book is damaged or mis-labeled by CGC, then the buyer may not be willing to wait for you to have it re-holdered.

But those are just my thoughts and unless someone knows differently, it certainly seems to meet the requirements.

By the way, are you still in Tulsa?  

7. List scans or an estimated grade of the offered books (additional information giving the rationale for the grade is also beneficial and will help your sale - ESPECIALLY if you do not have a scan - but not required in the initial post).

21 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't see why that wouldn't be okay since you know the grades already. After re-reading the rules, Rule #7 below says a scan is not needed and I do not see where the book must be in hand.

My personal feeling is you should have the book in hand with scans.  I assume your thread rules would be I'll Take pending scan which always seems cumbersome to me.  If you have raw scans, I think posting those would be great but if you are having them pressed, that could change the appearance of the raw book.  Also on the rare occasion that a book is damaged or mis-labeled by CGC, then the buyer may not be willing to wait for you to have it re-holdered.

But those are just my thoughts and unless someone knows differently, it certainly seems to meet the requirements.

By the way, are you still in Tulsa?  

7. List scans or an estimated grade of the offered books (additional information giving the rationale for the grade is also beneficial and will help your sale - ESPECIALLY if you do not have a scan - but not required in the initial post).

I am still in Tulsa 

• Administrator

Hi all, I wanted to mention that we've updated the usage guidelines for the Forum Only Selling Area to include dates for the sub-forums, to help users post in the correct place. Please see below.

3. List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely. Do not post copper or modern books in Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only, and do not post golden, silver or bronze books in Copper / Modern Age Only. Opinions vary about when the bronze age ends and the copper age begins, so the moderation team considers 1980–1984 an overlap period; books from those years are considered appropriate for either the G/S/B sub-forum or the C/M sub-forum. Books from before that period should be posted in G/S/B, and books from after that period should be posted in C/M. Books from any age are allowed in Mixed Age Threads and Misc.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, CCGmod2 said:

Hi all, I wanted to mention that we've updated the usage guidelines for the Forum Only Selling Area to include dates for the sub-forums, to help users post in the correct place. Please see below.

Thank you!

... this is a fair concession in regards to the much disputed demarcation point between Bronze and Copper. I'm impressed. Good idea from someone(s). GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/29/2020 at 8:23 AM, comicalgems said:

Why not just wait until you have them in hand? What advantage is there in putting them up for sale when you can't actually ship them out yet?  You are taking a risk by selling something that is not yet in your possession. I truly don't understand why people feel like they have to do this instead of just waiting until they have the books in hand. 

Edited by Jeffro.

On October 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM, CCGmod2 said:

Thank you!

I completely agree with @jimjum12's take above; thank you! I have two tangentially related questions:

1) There are many niche Golden Age reprints from the Copper era, as well as Marvel GA reprints of Timelys, etc that would be of far more interest to GSB collectors than copper/modern. Can these be offered in a GSB thread? 

2) Is it ok to offer post-1984 comics as freebies in one's GSB thread? (And vice versa for copper/modern, I suppose, though I can't quite see anyone offering Golden Age freebies in a copper thread, but who knows?? (shrug))

I'm sure I have done both in the past, thinking it was in the spirit of the GSB section. But I wanted to ask in light of the new clarification.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I completely agree with @jimjum12's take above; thank you! I have two tangentially related questions:

1) There are many niche Golden Age reprints from the Copper era, as well as Marvel GA reprints of Timelys, etc that would be of far more interest to GSB collectors than copper/modern. Can these be offered in a GSB thread? 

2) Is it ok to offer post-1984 comics as freebies in one's GSB thread? (And vice versa for copper/modern, I suppose, though I can't quite see anyone offering Golden Age freebies in a copper thread, but who knows?? (shrug))

I'm sure I have done both in the past, thinking it was in the spirit of the GSB section. But I wanted to ask in light of the new clarification.

Thank you!

To best avoid any posting violations, all freebies may be directly mailed to me.

Glad to help:foryou:

my lesson is to not ask if a book is pressed or not, just take it. 

cause if you ask if it's pressed, that gives the non-seller a chance to second guess his listing and decide to pull it. 

I went ahead and took it because even after the non-seller talked about CPRing it (at which point I also said I'd take it in PMs), it was still listed, so I went ahead and took it again in the thread. 

I've had the "Im thinking about sending it back for a press and resub" line used as a tactic to close a deal and to fend off a possible offer under the asking price. So I went ahead and took it. It appears the non-seller is intent on not selling the book so that's all she wrote. 

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

my lesson is to not ask if a book is pressed or not, just take it. 

cause if you ask if it's pressed, that gives the non-seller a chance to second guess his listing and decide to pull it. 

I went ahead and took it because even after the non-seller talked about CPRing it (at which point I also said I'd take it in PMs), it was still listed, so I went ahead and took it again in the thread. 

I've had the "Im thinking about sending it back for a press and resub" line used as a tactic to close a deal and to fend off a possible offer under the asking price. So I went ahead and took it. It appears the non-seller is intent on not selling the book so that's all she wrote. 

I saw that.  I've always taken it for granted that both the buyer and seller were bound by the rules to honor a sale.  This caused me to re-read the rules, and I was surprised to find that there's nothing in them saying that people should honor their commitments. 

If a buyer doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, don't they risk probation?

Shouldn't the same standard hold for sellers?

Oh, and the seller posted a total BS excuse of "I was tired when I posted this."  But if there was a whole conversation about it being pressed or not, the seller had PLENTY of opportunity to recognize a mistake caused by being "tired" and pull the book from sale.  

Edited by SOTIcollector