• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

I am sure there is a thread somewhere about this, but I don't know where to look, so I figured I'll post it here:

What is with people slabbing every low grade GA book around? I get a grail, or very expensive book that even in .5 goes for a couple hundred. But an average Archie from 1951 in 3.0? War books even up to 4.0? Am I missing something in the market? Am I too old? Did I miss the part about reader copies being for (*GASP*) reading?? Will Roy Rogers Westerns in 2.0 (but with WHITE pages!!) be next?

Thanks

On 12/24/2020 at 9:45 AM, Qua-Brot said:

I am sure there is a thread somewhere about this, but I don't know where to look, so I figured I'll post it here:

What is with people slabbing every low grade GA book around? I get a grail, or very expensive book that even in .5 goes for a couple hundred. But an average Archie from 1951 in 3.0? War books even up to 4.0? Am I missing something in the market? Am I too old? Did I miss the part about reader copies being for (*GASP*) reading?? Will Roy Rogers Westerns in 2.0 (but with WHITE pages!!) be next?

Thanks

I'm definitely guilty of slabbing low graders that really have no business in a slab. Often I'll get the package from CGC and say to myself, this would have looked just fine in a mylar. It probably ties into some form of collecting OCD where I want all my books to be "the same". I need to get better about that. It's often a waste of time and money. 

On 12/24/2020 at 9:45 AM, Qua-Brot said:

Thanks

Wait until you venture into some of the Facebook groups where people are of the mindset to press and grade EVERY book ever printed and where quantity of plastic holders is a measuring stick for one's collection. 

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Wait until you venture into some of the Facebook groups where people are of the mindset to press and grade EVERY book ever printed and where quantity of plastic holders is a measuring stick for one's collection. 

I think that's how they measure their friends too....

I don't know where to post this but I'm going to be selling off a bit of my collection to buy a grail. Does anyone collect Steelbooks Blu-Ray or Videogame related (many are superhero)? I would like to give you guys a chance before I put them up on the Bay. Just PM if you are interested, and let me know if there is a better place to post this (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

Man, there are some people posting books at crack level pricing on this fee free venue.  I won't discuss any threads in particular.  

I looked at 3 books the other day, according to gpa 2 were all time high prices and one was $10 below. (Book never sold for more than $450 and he wants $550?) If the book has never ever sold for that price, this venue may not be the place to look for a high water mark. Unless it is a GA key or something, but on SA or BA in mid grade?

4 hours ago, Transplant said:

Man, there are some people posting books at crack level pricing on this fee free venue.  I won't discuss any threads in particular.  

As a buyer for my own collection rather than a speculator or a seller, I often see books for sale on here that make me laugh at how high the price is, then a minute later someone come in with an :takeit:and others follow with "what a great deal" :insane:

I guess I am so out of touch with how expensive books some books have gotten, seems even more crazy to see books going up for big $$$$ when they are only a few years old and to me seem like a manufactured variant, each to their own I think but I would rather have a nice SA/GA book that some hot variant for the same price :preach:

On 1/24/2021 at 7:34 AM, Bird said:

I looked at 3 books the other day, according to gpa 2 were all time high prices and one was $10 below. (Book never sold for more than $450 and he wants $550?) If the book has never ever sold for that price, this venue may not be the place to look for a high water mark. Unless it is a GA key or something, but on SA or BA in mid grade?

You mean nearly 1200 above highest ever GPA (or close to 60% higher) recorded sale is not a good deal?  Usually if MCU is in the ad I keep moving.

You can add $3000 over GPA - and wants F+F payment as well.

That's extracting the urine

Edited by Beige

23 minutes ago, Beige said:

You can add $3000 over GPA - and wants F+F payment as well.

That's extracting the urine

Do you have to supply references as well?

36 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Do you have to supply references as well?

Yeah, I saw that one!

It's like facebook now

Oh well

Oh, and so everyone knows - I most certainly didn't hump the button on that thread that was pulled.

Edited by Beige

On 2/3/2021 at 1:48 AM, Bird said:

oh, maybe I can upgrade my book...OOPS! almost exactly double gpa with last sale 3 months ago...???

The crack pipe just keep smoking here.  Seriously, GPA high asks for books, including GPA high even if the book were a half point higher.  And not even like some super high grade key or rare or smoking hot book.  

When I was selling here, I think last time was about 2 years ago, I didn't just fire sale my books.  But I wasn't looking to trick someone into buying at a nutso price.  

Maybe some sellers are realizing how optimistic they're being as I see threads get closed within 24 hours of being started.  My only question is whether they understand why no one was buying?

Edited by Transplant

On 2/5/2021 at 5:16 AM, Transplant said:

The crack pipe just keep smoking here.  Seriously, GPA high asks for books, including GPA high even if the book were a half point higher.  And not even like some super high grade key or rare or smoking hot book.  

When I was selling here, I think last time was about 2 years ago, I didn't just fire sale my books.  But I wasn't looking to trick someone into buying at a nutso price.  

Maybe some sellers are realizing how optimistic they're being as I see threads get closed within 24 hours of being started.  My only question is whether they understand why no one was buying?

I am sure the sellers move to another venue, although usually here if the price is fair it will move in minutes. I sold a couple of GA Tec's this month and they sold in 20 minutes.

I do not find the buyers here as caught up in the hype books like on FB or other groups (although there are times where it happens). I jump on a few live auctions just to see if any off the radar items come up and sellers seem to get mad if you aren't bidding up the flavor of the month or when they ask what you would like to see and you mention non key or hot books, not worth their time and will almost state that directly. I think it has been discussed ad nauseum that sellers see the grade sell for a certain price, then take that price and bump it to what they deem is the new market price. Meanwhile the comp book was a white pager with no chipping, or nicely presented and they are putting a C/ow book with poor registration at that high price.

"An ECHO CHAMBER refers to situations in which beliefs are amplified or reinforced by communication and repetition inside a closed system and insulated from rebuttal.] By participating in an echo chamber, people are able to seek out information that reinforces their existing views without encountering opposing views, potentially resulting in an unintended exercise in confirmation bias. Echo chambers may increase social and political polarization and extremism. The term is a metaphor based on an acoustic echo chamber, in which sounds reverberate in a hollow enclosure. Another emerging term for this echoing and homogenizing effect within social media communities on the Internet is cultural tribalism. Many scholars note the effects that echo chambers can potentially have on citizens' stances and viewpoints, and specifically implications has for politics. However, some studies have suggested that the effects of echo chambers are weaker than often assumed."

In short the above is how I often (but not always) feel about IG, FB and other comic friendly venues. The insular comic community has in many ways become an 'echo chamber.'  To argue against the current market is like trying to clap with one hand tied behind your back.  My 2-cents. :preach: