• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Qua-Brot said:

I thought there already was a one bump per 24 hours rule? If someone is continually bumping their own thread then the mods can warn and then, if it's a real problem child, enforce on a case by case. But if people are having fun on a thread why stop it? 

This is the specific rule. 

1. Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you. ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff.

There is obviously a difference between "thread crapping" when someone posts something that could upset the seller and people hanging out and having fun. 

The problem is that when you encourage thread "crapping" the fun kind, it does bump your thread. Most of the time, it's no big deal. Sometimes the bumps are engineered. I don't think this was the case in Jeff's thread. However, this time, there were complaints. A bunch of complaints.

No the seller does not see who complained.

It might be that the people who complain are unfamiliar with the rules and it might be that the people who complain don't get so much "action" in their threads, but they still have the right to complain. 

People also have the right to have fun. It makes the forum more enjoyable.

From what I can see, all the complaints have been marked as complete (no issue). So hopefully people will continue to have fun, but keep in mind you might be upsetting others if it gets out of hand.

Just be considerate while you are having fun.

21 hours ago, Point Five said:

I always forget about the Probation forum myself and have to go back and binge the previous season. Just caught up on the Rick Starr thread this week; I don't know how I missed it being there since October! That was hugely disappointing as well.

I think you've nailed it on the head.  That board members I've always though of as solid and trustworthy like Rick Starr or Top City can behave this badly really is disappointing.   

This seems like a non-issue. To me, more fun, active sales threads help all sellers.

Maybe if there were hundreds of sales threads going on at the same time, but usually there's how many? About a dozen?

Also, seems like this could be fixed at the software level by adjusting the ranking algorithm. Consider using a time range (last 6 hours?). Within that range, you could even list threads in reverse order of number of posts, to help boost threads with fewer posts. (There's a reason Facebook and Twitter stopped ranking posts simply by newest first...)

Edited by adampasz

I have participated in hundreds of sales threads over 5 years. I can think of just a couple of cases where it seemed like a seller was trying to engineer bumps.

When sales threads are not successful, it's more likely due to some combination of the following:

• Seller does not have a proven track record.
  • Seller is not selling something people here want.
  • Items are over-priced.
  • Listings are not clear - no grades, poor scans, etc.
  • Listings are not updated when items sell, or to adjust prices/offer discounts.
  • Long thread with no summary post.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, adampasz said:

I have participated in hundreds of sales threads over 5 years. I can think of just a couple of cases where it seemed like a seller was trying to engineer bumps.

When sales threads are not successful, it's more likely due to some combination of the following:

• Seller does not have a proven track record.
  • Seller is not selling something people here want.
  • Items are over-priced.
  • Listings are not clear - no grades, poor scans, etc.
  • Listings are not updated when items sell, or to adjust prices/offer discounts.
  • Long thread with no summary post.

Weren't we all complaining about how much the selling had fallen off here? I see the point but it has not been as heavy selling in the past 6 months.

I rarely see sales threads in Gold/Silver/Bronze getting kicked to the second page on day one.

9 hours ago, PKJ said:

Weren't we all complaining about how much the selling had fallen off here? I see the point but it has not been as heavy selling in the past 6 months.

I rarely see sales threads in Gold/Silver/Bronze getting kicked to the second page on day one.

Selling does seem to have picked up over the past week or so. Lots of cool books right when I can't afford them!!! 

In any event, I would hope the Mods wouldn't put in rules to eliminate thread crapping. As long as it's in good fun, I think it's part of the community spirit of the boards.  The more restrictions that are put in place, the less appealing the boards will be as a selling platform and the more it will fall behind other fee free platforms. 

There have been a few cases where the seller politely asked folks to stop or reduce the thread crapping and in my experience those requests have been respected. 

55 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Managing this place would have to be a handful .... but letting folks have fun is also important... I think the MODS do a fine job for the most part... better than I could do. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a frien d of jesus)(thumbsu

No doubt about it. 

With all of the division in the world right now, it's remarkable how much comradery we all find here. The mods do an amazing job keeping this place fun while filtering out the stuff that doesn't belong. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:52 AM, jimjum12 said:

Managing this place would have to be a handful .... but letting folks have fun is also important... I think the MODS do a fine job for the most part... better than I could do. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a frien d of jesus)(thumbsu

They should make me a high paid mod.I'd take pay in low priced no one wants GA esoterics too.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:13 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’ve done a few trades and prefer to only do it with people in person or an established customer 

I've had some really great experiences in some higher value trades with @thehumantorch(hey Dave,we should catch up friend) and @thirdgreenham(I hope he's around and doing well?)but we're all Canadian and know each other eh? They'd ttc skidaddler on down to Chinatown and spill hot pho on me if I mucked about.

I've been away a while and it was sad catching up on the topcity debacle-and Rick Starr?I got one of my fave books from him.

Would someone kindly link me to that please?

On 2/28/2021 at 5:11 PM, crassus said:

@grebal thanks for moving that over, and thanks @comicdonna for taking up the discussion. I would have my doubts too about any new rules in this respect, which would be very hard to define and very contentious to enforce. I could understand Moderation shutting down dead threads somebody resurrected from years ago (book long sold no chance of getting that hot new key for 2014 prices etc) or any thread where the business is long past concluded....but if the seller is ok with banter and still actively conducting business it should be left alone, its a big page 1 actually and room for everybody to live and let live.

For me the necessary rules are those that ensure the safety and security of transactions in the marketplace and along with that the seller's specific rules should always be respected. Some seller's don't like horseplay in their threads and that should be respected. Some like it and some actively cultivate it, and that should be their business. I would be strongly opposed to any rule that empowers or enables other sellers to have Moderation intervene in other sales threads. That could have the reverse effect of encouraging a different kind of bad behaviour. 2c

I will always threadkrap your threads and @Readcomix,even if it resulted in pernts against me.

10 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I've had some really great experiences in some higher value trades with @thehumantorch(hey Dave,we should catch up friend) and @thirdgreenham(I hope he's around and doing well?)but we're all Canadian and know each other eh? They'd ttc skidaddler on down to Chinatown and spill hot pho on me if I mucked about.

I've been away a while and it was sad catching up on the topcity debacle-and Rick Starr?I got one of my fave books from him.

Would someone kindly link me to that please?

Cliff’s notes - STARR reneged on a deal so he could sell the book for more money elsewhere.  Probation well earned.

26 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Made it more accurate.

H.png

I am genuinely curious on how this was an improper exchange on my part. I inquired about a price that Mijael would take, and he interpreted that as a claim or "I'll take it" which I never did. When I asked to hang a sec he got really upset and reports me to this board? That seems a bit irrational to me. And now, mischaracterizing my honest statement of consulting a friend on the purchase as if I was trying to flip it? Come on, that is not what I was doing at all. I'm a collector, not a speculator. Not here looking to make a fast buck at all, here because I love comics and have been collecting for over twenty years... just new to these boards... In any event, I believe this exchange stands as not a testament to me as a buyer, but to Mijael as a seller... Buyer Beware... he is a very difficult person to work with. Glad I was on the fence about this purchase as who knows what other shenanigans could have happened down the road if he's pulling this kind of stuff on these boards. 

2 minutes ago, Hongalez said:

I am genuinely curious on how this was an improper exchange on my part. I inquired about a price that Mijael would take, and he interpreted that as a claim or "I'll take it" which I never did. When I asked to hang a sec he got really upset and reports me to this board? That seems a bit irrational to me. And now, mischaracterizing my honest statement of consulting a friend on the purchase as if I was trying to flip it? Come on, that is not what I was doing at all. I'm a collector, not a speculator. Not here looking to make a fast buck at all, here because I love comics and have been collecting for over twenty years... just new to these boards... In any event, I believe this exchange stands as not a testament to me as a buyer, but to Mijael as a seller... Buyer Beware... he is a very difficult person to work with. Glad I was on the fence about this purchase as who knows what other shenanigans could have happened down the road if he's pulling this kind of stuff on these boards. 

So you admit to sending Mijael the equivalent of an eBay "Bro, what's your lowest price?" message, then try to dog him for calling you out, even though he's been a well respected board member for almost 8 years?

Nice way to intro yourself to this community :golfclap:

6 minutes ago, Hongalez said:

You didn`t inquired you made an offer i accepted and then backed off. Thanks to people like you the market place is going south

Screenshot_20210305-121415_Chrome.jpg.6d6d63afde708296f6e9d1cb18d6d357.jpg

Edited by Mijael.Levy