• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Another option is to add a new rule that when a person passes they are removed from the PL and HOS lists automatically. No posts are deleted, just the reference to the individual on the list.

Like I said before; it is pretty gross to continue to shame people after they have passed. 2c

I don't want the posts removed or anything,it's board history and is quite the entertaining mess to some I'm sure.

Just don't see how his name being there does any good warning folks about anything.

Don't renage on a 25 000$ deal and act an arse about it,pretty simple.Not like he'll be buying anything from Beechview cemetary

35 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Well,maybe Adam will come around and chime in.If he says okay,then it's off,no poll? I know we couldn't stop folks from talking about it,heck,it might start up with just me bringing it up.

I know Joey was 100% wrong and not trying to take away that it was terrible.Just don't see how him being on the list,being dead,is going to help warn anyone.That's what the lists are for right?He wont be coming back in any form.

If Adam says go,then so be it,if no-well so be it.I'd rather not feed the wolves with another drama from as you said,twelve years ago with a poll.Joeys dead,he can't vote and even though there's no excuse for what he did,he can't speak for himself.

I just don't see why it needs to stay.The man is dead.There's no warning anyone about him or ToS is there?

This is a little touchy emotional for me,so I'll just see what happens.Hopefully Adam doesn't mind a dead mans name being removed as there's no way Joey can make it up to him

If you are asking me, I can't make that decision. I don't even know if I participated in the vote for HOS. I understand you don't want bashing and I can try to keep an eye out for that, but it's a board decision by members, I don't make those. I don't see myself as in charge. I don't believe my  Mod "powers" are ones that would entitle me to change a decision that was made by a community vote.:sorry:

48 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Another option is to add a new rule that when a person passes they are removed from the PL and HOS lists automatically. No posts are deleted, just the reference to the individual on the list.

Like I said before; it is pretty gross to continue to shame people after they have passed. 2c

45 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Well,maybe Adam will come around and chime in.If he says okay,then it's off,no poll? I know we couldn't stop folks from talking about it,heck,it might start up with just me bringing it up.

I know Joey was 100% wrong and not trying to take away that it was terrible.Just don't see how him being on the list,being dead,is going to help warn anyone.That's what the lists are for right?He wont be coming back in any form.

If Adam says go,then so be it,if no-well so be it.I'd rather not feed the wolves with another drama from as you said,twelve years ago with a poll.Joeys dead,he can't vote and even though there's no excuse for what he did,he can't speak for himself.

I just don't see why it needs to stay.The man is dead.There's no warning anyone about him or ToS is there?

This is a little touchy emotional for me,so I'll just see what happens.Hopefully Adam doesn't mind a dead mans name being removed as there's no way Joey can make it up to him

I'm only a single vote, but, I would get behind this. 

Just now, skypinkblu said:

If you are asking me, I can't make that decision. I don't even know if I participated in the vote for HOS. I understand you don't want bashing and I can try to keep an eye out for that, but it's a board decision by members, I don't make those. I don't see myself as in charge. I don't believe my  Mod "powers" are ones that would entitle me to change a decision that was made by a community vote.:sorry:

I'm sorry you've been called into it and didn't want my reply to seem harsh or anything,not my intent.I understand the decision isn't up to you.

I do think that maybe we need a poll for if people should remain on these lists after death,without naming names or infractions.

If they stay up after death then those lists are no longer warnings but links to drama and misdoings.

He's not here,he doesn't care and it's really not huge and life affecting for me....but-

It'd be nice to have a dead persons name removed from forever shame though,no matter who it is.They can't fix anything.

Seance anyone?

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:
2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm sorry you've been called into it and didn't want my reply to seem harsh or anything,not my intent.I understand the decision isn't up to you.

I do think that maybe we need a poll for if people should remain on these lists after death,without naming names or infractions.

If they stay up after death then those lists are no longer warnings but links to drama and misdoings.

He's not here,he doesn't care and it's really not huge and life affecting for me....but-

It'd be nice to have a dead persons name removed from forever shame though,no matter who it is.They can't fix anything.

Seance anyone?

It would need to be a vote. You would have my vote for sure, but I agree with Sha that what was first done by a community vote can only be undone by a community vote. I would go a step further than Sha and say that not even Admin could unilaterally add or remove a name. Admin could shut the whole thing down for sure, prohibit sales and end the forum for sure, but as I understand it management wants the community to self police the sales area, and so that has been left to the members, and so the decision is the community's. I am not sure about Adam's input. If it was only PL than he would hold the hammer, but HoS is started by vote and ended by vote, I'm not sure even he has a say to be honest, apart from his vote. That said I am always conscious that there may be precedents that say otherwise.  

48 minutes ago, crassus said:

... what was first done by a community vote can only be undone by a community vote. I would go a step further ... and say that not even Admin could unilaterally add or remove a name.

Motion to add new rule in perpetuity that dead members are auto-approved to be removed from naughty list(s).  With only one exception that only applies if we really really don't like a person.

Apologies in advance, I try my best to keep the smartass in check, but just couldn't resist.

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

Motion to add new rule in perpetuity that dead members are auto-approved to be removed from naughty list(s).  With only one exception that only applies if we really really don't like a person.

Apologies in advance, I try my best to keep the smartass in check, but just couldn't resist.

That's what I think would be the most peaceful way,without names and events brought up,just if the person has passed,the name comes down.

Not should person x be removed because they died,but should all persons passed be removed.Leave the misdeeds up of course,just a removal of the name from the list.

Edited by porcupine48

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

That's what I think would be the most peaceful way,without names and events brought up,just if the person has passed,the name comes down.

Not should person x be removed because they died,but should all persons passed be removed.Leave the misdeeds up of course,just a removal of the name.

Exactly.  I was mocking that this is even a question, not mocking what I personally agree are important rules and policies for the Board-Only sales forums.

Edited by grebal
and no disrespect intended to Crassus whom I regard highly

9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Not should person x be removed because they died,but should all persons passed be removed.Leave the misdeeds up of course,just a removal of the name from the list.

I'm not trying to upset  you and I hesitated asking anything, but I have a few  questions, Jimmers. Why is this so urgent now? I don't think any of us visit the HOS on a regular basis? I can barely find it. It will still be on Google, you can't erase that.

Also, are we going to require proof that the person passed? It's not likely that anyone would come here as a relation (with board members who are relatives as a possible exception).

But if they do, do we just accept that the person passed? 

Or do we ask for a death certificate?  I just think that this process is going to be dramatic, where in fact before it was brought up I doubt anyone was talking about the incident, or incidents.

What about if the person somehow redeems themselves while they are alive? They become teacher of the year, or invent something wonderful?

There are a few people on that list that I'm pretty sure I didn't vote to have on it, but to me, it's kind of a sleeping dog (or cat if cats ever sleep) issue.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm not trying to upset  you and I hesitated asking anything, but I have a few  questions, Jimmers. Why is this so urgent now? I don't think any of us visit the HOS on a regular basis? I can barely find it. It will still be on Google, you can't erase that.

Also, are we going to require proof that the person passed? It's not likely that anyone would come here as a relation (with board members who are relatives as a possible exception).

But if they do, do we just accept that the person passed? 

Or do we ask for a death certificate?  I just think that this process is going to be dramatic, where in fact before it was brought up I doubt anyone was talking about the incident, or incidents.

What about if the person somehow redeems themselves while they are alive? They become teacher of the year, or invent something wonderful?

There are a few people on that list that I'm pretty sure I didn't vote to have on it, but to me, it's kind of a sleeping dog (or cat if cats ever sleep) issue.

It's not urgent,just with all the votes and polls and bad stuff going on it made me think of it.I'll drop it because as you mention it'll just get folk going,and there's more than enough drama here lately.

As far as death certificates-I can't see anyone faking a death to have a name removed.Luxx wasn't the most popular here and we accepted that he'd passed when his child came on with the news.We don't always know peoples life names either,just the board handle

With people still alive?Of course put it to a vote.They have the opportunity to redeem themselves.I understand Joey could have made an attempt when he was still alive,but he's not now.

I think it absurd that it's even an issue having someone who's deads name removed from a list and there's even a question about it. Whether it's my family member or not.

It does cause me a little pain when I see it.He's dead,and it's a negative.I'll just suck it up then-but I do think it would be a nice rule that once someone's dead and gone their name is taken off the naughty list.

So,unless Domo would like to set up a poll about dead members in general,not just a particular name coming off the list or heck,even for just Joey,TFL,GhostRider,ToS this so people can have their fun,I'm out.I don't understand this resistance to it,so....let it be what it will be

19 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

We don't always know peoples life names either,just the board handle

I suppose that is really my point, only the people here and basically the ones who were involved will even know the incidents  the board name refers to, we usually don't know "life names". 

So if you had an uncle Joey, I would never normally know that person was also TFL.  I didn't even remember a lot of what had gone on until you brought it up and I looked it up only BECAUSE you brought it up. I had forgotten all about the shill issue, which brings up another problem...someone creates a shill and asks to have their deceased relative removed. I don't know what good that would do for the person, but I'm not sure anymore what is going to happen, it's been that kind of year.

It's not a matter of my  being resistant, unless you are talking about my saying I couldn't do what you wanted. For me it's a matter of  I'm feeling there is a hard push going on, and as I said, I didn't understand it. If we had a regular poll, that's fine, but there seemed to be additional requirements, like "no drama"  no discussion, which is pretty hard to promise. People should be able to voice their views unless they are violating the terms of service.

I know nothing about this incident but getting in the HOS takes some effort. It seems that bringing it up when someone passes only brings more eyes to the incident than if it was just left alone. Typically when someone passes, whatever is out there is already out there and no way to delete history. I can understand why friends and family would want it removed though.

It's not the end of the world,and I don't want to stop people from talking about it,not my intent to have it removed or anything.I just thought doing it without a name as a blanket for anyone that's passed would cause less fuss and or uproar.It's highly entertaining and a little sad and dog knows I've had my entertainment reading about others meltdowns and tragedies and all the fixins',deep fried for extra lama flavour.I don't want to deprive anyone from reading it and heck hash it out again just coz he's my uncle or for any reason.It is what it is.

I wondered if the name could be taken down because he's dead.I'd vote yes for removal for anyone that's died.It's turned into more trouble than it's worth for the amount it really bothers me,so no push here @skypinkblu.Let it be.I'm not sour or bitter or whatever and if I came across as abrasive or angry that wasn't my intended tone.It's not worth arguing myself into a tizzy over.He did the bad,the name stays forever,I get it.

I wondered aloud and it's not worth any big hoohaw that I didn't get the answer I hoped for.Maybe at least I gave someone some entertainment and confused reading with the pages and pages nuked lol and the multi thread jumping and secret identities revealed by the secret holder :ph34r:

I'll read some comics and rub the dog behind her ears,I'll be fine.

Thank you to the folk that voiced support.

19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

It's not the end of the world,and I don't want to stop people from talking about it,not my intent to have it removed or anything.I just thought doing it without a name as a blanket for anyone that's passed would cause less fuss and or uproar.It's highly entertaining and a little sad and dog knows I've had my entertainment reading about others meltdowns and tragedies and all the fixins',deep fried for extra lama flavour.I don't want to deprive anyone from reading it and heck hash it out again just coz he's my uncle or for any reason.It is what it is.

I wondered if the name could be taken down because he's dead.I'd vote yes for removal for anyone that's died.It's turned into more trouble than it's worth for the amount it really bothers me,so no push here @skypinkblu.Let it be.I'm not sour or bitter or whatever and if I came across as abrasive or angry that wasn't my intended tone.It's not worth arguing myself into a tizzy over.He did the bad,the name stays forever,I get it.

I wondered aloud and it's not worth any big hoohaw that I didn't get the answer I hoped for.Maybe at least I gave someone some entertainment and confused reading with the pages and pages nuked lol and the multi thread jumping and secret identities revealed by the secret holder :ph34r:

I'll read some comics and rub the dog behind her ears,I'll be fine.

Thank you to the folk that voiced support.

I'm not sure why this needs a vote.  Just copy/remove your uncle's name/paste.  (shrug) 

What is it with all the current market commentary in sales threads lately? That used to be viewed in very bad taste but in the past 48 hours non buyers have been sharing their thoughts on price run ups, incorrect labels, market correction predictions etc. This used to be heavily frowned upon, did something change?  The complaints that sales have slowed here certainly will hold true if the peanut gallery has to comment on every "hot" book being listed, better to just put on IG or ebay where comments are less common or not at all.