• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I am not a fan of it either but it seems like a shift has occurred in board culture regarding this type of behavior. A seller always has the right to say up front that such banter is not allowed in the sales thread.

There hasn't been anything reported recently, so I haven't seen it. But if that is what is happening, if it upsets the seller, they SHOULD report it. 
I think some people see it as free bumps, so they don't care..

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
19 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I am not a fan of it either but it seems like a shift has occurred in board culture regarding this type of behavior. A seller always has the right to say up front that such banter is not allowed in the sales thread.

There hasn't been anything reported recently, so I haven't seen it. But if that is what is happening, if it upsets the seller, they SHOULD report it. 
I think some people see it as free bumps, so they don't care..

I guess that's what it comes down to, does it upset the seller? It seems like most sellers these days just accept it as how its done today. Some encourage it.

I do my best not to get into banter in anyone's sales thread. I just don't think it's the place for it. Others obviously feel differently.

Edited by Jeffro.

5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I guess that's what it comes down to, does it upset the seller? It seems like most sellers these days just accept it as how its done today. Some encourage it.

I do my best not to get into banter in anyone's sales thread. I just don't think it's the place for it. Others obviously feel differently.

Very true, I was pointing out more of the "Wow these go for this now?" "Glad I bought this last summer" "Can't believe this book is still going up". What was interesting especially when I mentioned it, it was the same 3-4 boardies stepping in and giving their two cents. Meanwhile those books did sell but you had people quoting those phrases with their own input on how much smarter they were than the potential buyer by buying a year ago. I think the "great seller", "awesome books" etc seem to create a positive thread.  I just thought it was odd, but agree if the seller has no issue with then we shouldn't either. 

9 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Popcorn emoji in a sales thread drives me nuts.  Several negative inferences can be drawn.  

It is commonly just used to allow someone to follow the thread, since they do not have a follow button.

I do understand where you are coming from on this , but automatically inferring negative connotations is not necessarily what the user intended. 

If someone is specifically abusing it in your sales thread . report it.  You can also add that to your list of rules in a sale thread.. 

No popcorn. 

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It is commonly just used to allow someone to follow the thread, since they do not have a follow button.

I do understand where you are coming from on this , but automatically inferring negative connotations is not necessarily what the user intended. 

If someone is specifically abusing it in your sales thread . report it.  You can also add that to your list of rules in a sale thread.. 

No popcorn. 

There is a follow button.  It's green and to the right of the title.  

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

There is a follow button.  It's green and to the right of the title.  

It doesn't show up on my mobile. Will have to try to be more observant and see if I can find it in the next sales thread I go to watch.

Do not want to unintentionally offend.

Now Internationally... that is a different story, but I usually do not use popcorn for that. :roflmao:

Thank you for the information.  Will definitely keep an eye out for it next time. :foryou:

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So after looking back when the phone is held upright the follow option is hidden, but when rotated that option is visible.  20210405_161511.jpg.1ff63967ab3af0876d493218fc510da0.jpg

20210405_161528.thumb.jpg.de1f1fe0a35e756895f9c91b11b9576c.jpg

I find on a PC, I need a bigger screen to see some "options" must be the same principle, 

Meanwhile, I must be very naive, I always see :popcorn: as eagerly awaiting the good stuff...because when I ate movie popcorn, we always ate it during the previews...because my husband doesn't believe in saving it for the movie;) 

However, some people like quiet and to be professional and neat...so if things bother you when you are running a thread, just hit notify.

Meanwhile, 

Please don't hit notify to have the mods close a thread or "delete" it. I keep asking to have the closed button returned, they are "working on it". For now, you just have to write "closed".

That's a statement to the general public.

48 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I find on a PC, I need a bigger screen to see some "options" must be the same principle, 

Meanwhile, I must be very naive, I always see :popcorn: as eagerly awaiting the good stuff...because when I ate movie popcorn, we always ate it during the previews...because my husband doesn't believe in saving it for the movie;) 

However, some people like quiet and to be professional and neat...so if things bother you when you are running a thread, just hit notify.

Meanwhile, 

Please don't hit notify to have the mods close a thread or "delete" it. I keep asking to have the closed button returned, they are "working on it". For now, you just have to write "closed".

That's a statement to the general public.

Always a pleasure reading your posts. :golfclap:

Definitely agree about all of the points you touch on there. :foryou:

Seems like a good stopping point..

"Closed" 

It's the pessimist in me.  I see :popcorn: as either:

1.  Where is the good stuff? (even when good stuff has already been posted)  as if the items posted aren't yet worthy for the popcorn poster; or

2.  "This ought to be 'good' so I'm going to see what happens" because pricing or grading is way off or because the popcorn poster knows that the seller has violated some rule.

Just now, KPR Comics said:

It's the pessimist in me.  I see :popcorn: as either:

1.  Where is the good stuff? (even when good stuff has already been posted)  as if the items posted aren't yet worthy for the popcorn poster; or

2.  "This ought to be 'good' so I'm going to see what happens" because pricing or grading is way off or because the popcorn poster knows that the seller has violated some rule.

Both of those are valid and completely understandable concerns. 

I could see how that could be read into the popcorn emoji.  

I always enjoy hearing differing opinions and how other percieve things as it gives you insight. 

A lot of time not only are the choice of words used misconstrued, but emojis and text can be even worse,  as they can lack the emotion and subtle nuances of in person conversation.  Which is why several of my posts here , I have started using gifs and other imagery to help with implied meaning.  

200-1.gif.279b998e1c340a56329ab6a34e59816d.gif

Just like when people say this is the truth.. I like to use this reference. 

20210326_013631.thumb.jpg.836a367b15d25399ff068ccc29a7ad43.jpg