• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Point Five said:

Maybe a different food emoji than popcorn would more clearly indicate "quality in this thread". Like a bowl of risotto or something. :D 

The reason I like the gifs.. take your pick . :whistle:

2072313327_200w(7).gif.3487eaa559da98d692ed1affb6eb8e2e.gif2135639465_giphy-1(12).gif.0001f56d6a90b8f9e0daf913dd972271.gifcae3cacd0364f219890d37ce9036d8a1.gif.ae9e639b437b03b0c067a4871146a684.gif

19 hours ago, Point Five said:

Maybe a different food emoji than popcorn would more clearly indicate "quality in this thread". Like a bowl of risotto or something. :D 

I only break out this emoji if I miss out on a book i really wanted...looking at you BOT!

hungry snack GIF by Real Good Foods

On 3/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, skypinkblu said:

I still can't figure out how to quote 2 things, but @thirdgreenham  @porcupine48

Someone asked me to change a title the other day and I found out that you can only edit for the past year, that means the mods can only edit for one year. 

Which means that if a HOS removal vote takes place, it only would take the person off the list for the posts that can be edited.

Just so people know that, so if someone comes back, reforms, saves the world. It's still going to be on those other posts.

I'm not sure that was what you wanted, but be aware if you have a poll and it wins, that's what you'd get.  Doing it that way would probably get more votes, so it might not be the worst thing.

It's really not a huge deal,but it'd be nice.I don't care if he's on the list back when he was alive,it's just a matter that he's dead now,didn't come back for Easter,so isn't going to reform or change the world anytime soonish.

Hope you had a great day,weekend all and all the lil's had a great time getting hyped up on sugar everyone

On 4/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, Jeffro. said:

I guess that's what it comes down to, does it upset the seller? It seems like most sellers these days just accept it as how its done today. Some encourage it.

I do my best not to get into banter in anyone's sales thread. I just don't think it's the place for it. Others obviously feel differently.

Threadcarp mafia represent!

I'll only do it if I'm friendly with the person and they put something encouraging it eh @Readcomix? That being said I'd never be so gauche as to whine about monetary this or that.Maybe give a compliment or say hi,tag someone I know that's had an eye skinned if I don't already have a pm going with them for a heads up

19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Threadcarp mafia represent!

I'll only do it if I'm friendly with the person and they put something encouraging it eh @Readcomix? That being said I'd never be so gauche as to whine about monetary this or that.Maybe give a compliment or say hi,tag someone I know that's had an eye skinned if I don't already have a pm going with them for a heads up

I just try to maintain a fun, conversational atmosphere in the sales threads. I think it provides more of a real-time hangout feel that a lot of us seem to enjoy when someone is selling -- talking smack about takes, discussing the books (which of course is a core part of these entire boards), having a few laughs, etc. When buying, I know there's some sellers who don't like it, so I don't add extraneous conversation, however innocuous, in their threads. 

I've never had a boardie browsing one of my threads for books complain that the conversation makes it less fun/too hard to follow; maybe some avoid them because they don't like it, but it seems a lot of folks here enjoy that type of thread, including me, so I welcome it.

I see more of a 50/50 split between those who like a thread that is either dedicated to one theme (eg - all Marvel silver), or where all the books of each theme hit the thread sequentially (eg - all the Marvel silver, then all the PCH, etc) versus those who like the randomness of a "who knows what genre/era is next?"-type thread. I try to go between both styles, as there's fans of both. But either way I like a conversational atmosphere. It's about the books we share love for, after all. 2c

On 4/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

IMG_131281639811181.jpeg.994ad93350826db56ca5536da82c4bcd.jpeg

A kid in high school did this during class; I was looking right at him when he did it. I think he stuck a paper clip in the socket. It was during typing class, and I watched him fly out of his chair and onto the floor. His hair was standing up, and he just sort of sat there dazed for a moment before saying simply, "woah."

I thought our teacher, Mrs. Layton, was going to have a stroke. She took him to the school nurse and he came back shortly after with his hand wrapped up and grinning.

It was the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed anyone purposely do.

One of my cousins also tried this, but I wasn't there to witness it.

I myself once peed on an electric fence but luckily didn't get zapped. A few times, my friends and I engaged in stupid games that involved grabbing and holding an electric fence for as long as possible.  Not quite the same as sticking a fork in an electrical socket, but shocking nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

A kid in high school did this during class; I was looking right at him when he did it. I think he stuck a paper clip in the socket. It was during typing class, and I watched him fly out of his chair and onto the floor. His hair was standing up, and he just sort of sat there dazed for a moment before saying simply, "woah."

I thought our teacher, Mrs. Layton, was going to have a stroke. She took him to the school nurse and he came back shortly after with his hand wrapped up and grinning.

It was the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed anyone purposely do.

One of my cousins also tried this, but I wasn't there to witness it.

I myself once peed on an electric fence but luckily didn't get zapped. A few times, my friends and I engaged in stupid games that involved grabbing and holding an electric fence for as long as possible.  Not quite the same as sticking a fork in an electrical socket, but shocking nonetheless.

:roflmao:at this a bit as I too have done and witnessed many dumb things. Also adding some visual imagery here for it. 

173203349_giphy(31).gif.2df2f923fb29c4df3415d70c4183ca27.gifgiphy.gif.fc097037abe030d5f023f426e993a7de.gif

On 4/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, skypinkblu said:

Meanwhile, I must be very naive, I always see :popcorn: as eagerly awaiting the good stuff...because when I ate movie popcorn, we always ate it during the previews...because my husband doesn't believe in saving it for the movie;) 

In general I think of the popcorn emoji as a "this is gonna be good" sort of thing, which can be negative (when posted during a, ahem, discussion) or positive (like a great seller's sales thread). As with many things, I think it all depends on the context.

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Complaint: Completed sales threads being bumped by buyers announcing they received their purchases. 

Solution: Bring back the SOLD function. 

It's been brought up to admins a few times.  I will mention it again.