• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

This board is full of condition whackjobs.

I believe this is in the CGC visitors brochure

I hope Swick is sending those out double boxed, double boarded, sheathed in mylar with plenty of packing peanuts. :eek:

Is it time for the I-pack-the-best oneupsmanship posts already?? Okay, then.

It all starts with freshly felled redwood tree and a saw mill. Then [...3,000 words later...]. And that's how I safely pack each and every comic I have ever sold, whether they cost a penny or oodle-thousands.

:insane:

Is it time for the I-pack-the-best oneupsmanship posts already?? Okay, then.

I shipped a few books between two pieces of 3/4" plywood once bound with 1/2" drywall screws. It never arrived for some reason. :sorry:

I thought you didn't know what a Ferengi was and Star Trek wasn't your thing?

If you don't know what it is then how can you equate it to something with enough certainty to lock Jeffro into an implication.

I said had, which implies past tense. There's this little thing on the internet called Google...which I used to find out what that word meant. It also allows people to find other things.... ;)

You went from entirely ignorant of their culture and ways to absolutely certain in just a couple of posts.

From what I saw of the Ferengi on DS9 they were obsessed with profit and trade, but mostly profit.

Does that sound like an incorrect comparison?

Yes....I can read. Big shocker there I know.

It's not necessarily an incorrect comparison..you just chose to leave out other relevant parts, such as:

"They and their culture are characterized by a mercantile obsession with profit and trade, and their constant efforts to swindle unwary customers into unfair deals. They are also known for their business acumen and for rampant misogyny. They also sometimes force their women into the sex trade."

I'd say that's a pretty damning accusation, wouldn't you?

So you read Jeffro's comparison between the Ferengi and your blatant attempt to profiteer off of a movie announcement as him saying you force women into the sex trade?

That might be the absolute worst attempt to play the victim we've seen on the boards this week.

That's the best response you can come up with? Seriously...that's the best?

The fact is you don't have a response other than to continue to hurl insults at me.

I'm not playing a victim....you are welcome to say whatever you want. However, when I ask you how you make your accusations and you result to insults, it shows how small you really are...

Go find someone else to bother boy

What accusations did I make? Exactly what?

Is that the best defense you can make, seriously? Why not just own the mercenary in your heart? Why feign injury and insult? Does a scorpion have his feeling hurt when someone calls it a scorpion? Why would you be so hurt and upset that someone calls you a profit-motivated person? Given your entire persona, actions, and words I would think you'd wear that badge with pride.

You don't have a defense because you and I both know how important that sweet sweet profit is to you. More important than lots of other things that others would prioritize far higher.

You made more headway when you chose to not engage me head on.

Send me a PM...and I'll happily send you my phone number. We can work this out via telephone as men, right?

You've already proved to me, in spades, who you are and what you priorities are.

That's why I am not shrinking from telling you how disappointed I was in how you handled Beau's books after his passing and how you neglected to give those books, and by extension the donations made to help his family, anywhere near the respect they deserved.

Which is why when you call other board members "cheap" or when you rip on other board members for their buying or selling threads and prices I am reminded that sometimes people can only see the faults in others and be blind to their own. In some cases it is completely so.

The way people prioritize their decisions and how they handle seemingly small matters (and what is small to them) are windows into who they really are. I've seen it. I don't need any more proof.

Amen!

(worship)

Has it ever helped anyone to say "No HOS, PL, etc", or any iteration of this at the beginning of their sales thread?

Everyone is so concerned about saying they can't, but has that ever been necessary?

Obviously my experience on the boards isn't as vast as most of you, I wonder if there are any good stories out there.

Has it ever helped anyone to say "No HOS, PL, etc", or any iteration of this at the beginning of their sales thread?

Everyone is so concerned about saying they can't, but has that ever been necessary?

Obviously my experience on the boards isn't as vast as most of you, I wonder if there are any good stories out there.

One aspect of such a statement is an implicit comradery in holding the business of buying and selling to a reasonably high ethical level.

One aspect of such a statement is an implicit comradery in holding the business of buying and selling to a reasonably high ethical level.

... in my early days on the boards I sold to Probies, but mainly because I didn't know a probation list existed. Now I clearly state that I will sell to HOS and Probies, but that they must pay in cash and at triple the asking price. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes... there was an instance two years ago where someone pointed out that someone on the PL had claimed something in a thread.

... all kidding aside, I really did complete two transactions to probies before I knew there was such a thing..... one is now upstanding and the other is still there.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

We've seen all sorts of dealer malfeasance over the years but today I was reminded of an oldie. As old as the hobby itself. Did you guys ever have a seller pass off a book that was missing a page, or a pinup or a chunk of a page, as "complete"?

That happened to me a couple of times when I was a teenager before I learned to check the pages on any book I picked up.

Sure some dealers are just as lax as their buyers and have no idea that their book is missing a piece. Others know EXACTLY what they are doing. Sometimes, when a book is easily identified, you can track it back and see that it was disclosed as missing something before. That's when you know the seller is someone you probably would not want to deal with in the first place.

I am convinced there are some sellers that bank on buyers not taking a close look or being too trusting and they can make a big profit. All they have to do is slip if past someone and they can make way more on the book than they would have being honest.

Amazing what guys will do for an extra buck, fricken' wankers.

Dumb question. Is there a way to do an age verification for posting comics that are of adult nature for viewing/selling? I don't want to be that guy that sales a Noti and Nyce nude cover comic to a kid. I am just gathering information right now on what I can do. I plan on getting them graded soon and after that selling them. I just want to know what I can do verify ages.

Thank you

Again sorry for the dumb question but I cannot find anything in the forums concerning this.

We've seen all sorts of dealer malfeasance over the years but today I was reminded of an oldie. As old as the hobby itself. Did you guys ever have a seller pass off a book that was missing a page, or a pinup or a chunk of a page, as "complete"?

That happened to me a couple of times when I was a teenager before I learned to check the pages on any book I picked up.

Sure some dealers are just as lax as their buyers and have no idea that their book is missing a piece. Others know EXACTLY what they are doing. Sometimes, when a book is easily identified, you can track it back and see that it was disclosed as missing something before. That's when you know the seller is someone you probably would not want to deal with in the first place.

I am convinced there are some sellers that bank on buyers not taking a close look or being too trusting and they can make a big profit. All they have to do is slip if past someone and they can make way more on the book than they would have being honest.

Amazing what guys will do for an extra buck, fricken' wankers.

Never ceases to amaze me what sometimes goes on here, and is going on right now in the selling forum