• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Strange times when there seems to be more Golden Age sales threads then Silver & Bronze Age combined. Maybe certain books come in droves but the amount of Golden Age books up lately is much higher then it has been.

Strange times when there seems to be more Golden Age sales threads then Silver & Bronze Age combined. Maybe certain books come in droves but the amount of Golden Age books up lately is much higher then it has been.

Most days, it feels like you can sell any ragged copy of a GA or Atom age book around here, no matter the subject matter, while 95% of all silver and bronze age books are below everyone's notice.

Most days, it feels like you can sell any ragged copy of a GA or Atom age book around here, no matter the subject matter, while 95% of all silver and bronze age books are below everyone's notice.

I wonder if that is just due to the availability of relatively hard to find books here on the boards at good prices. Good luck finding similar books and prices on E-Bay or at a Con.

Whereas almost all Silver and Bronze books are common on E-Bay and definitely at Cons.

Edited by 1Cool

Thanks for all the feedback.

Curious when you say "scan both sides" - I can certainly put them on a scanner, but won't I get glare from scanner's light element off the CGC case? Is there a workaround?

I was thinking I'd photograph them rather than scan.

I wonder if that is just due to the availability of relatively hard to find books here on the boards at good prices. Good luck finding similar books and prices on E-Bay or at a Con.

Whereas almost all Silver and Bronze books are common on E-Bay and definitely at Cons.

That's been my impression. If you pass on a silver or bronze book that you 'might' want, it'll likely show up again at some point. If you 'miss out' on a golden book, you might not see or remember it again for who knows how long.

That's been my impression. If you pass on a silver or bronze book that you 'might' want, it'll likely show up again at some point. If you 'miss out' on a golden book, you might not see or remember it again for who knows how long.

Its been an especially good few weeks if you collect Planets, GGA, and esoterica, and frankly in my own local market (Montreal) this is all pretty much non-existent. You will see a few here and there, now and then, but never a constant stream like the last few weeks here on the Boards. 2c

Thanks for all the feedback.

Curious when you say "scan both sides" - I can certainly put them on a scanner, but won't I get glare from scanner's light element off the CGC case? Is there a workaround?

I was thinking I'd photograph them rather than scan.

Depends on the book and the scanner. Thicker GA books can have a glare problem with some scanners, including the HP 8300 that I use. There are some minor workarounds, including pressing gently on the back of the slab while scanning, but nothing that I know of works to entirely eliminate the glare. Glare is less of a problem for SA and later books in my experience.

Scans typically show more detail than photos and can be helpful in attracting bidders if you are selling mid-grade GA or SA books, particularly keys. Probably not an issue on 9.8 moderns.

And much happy about this. :) My wallet is not, however, as it’s on a diet.

lol, this is why I could never be a successful flipper.

I had the opportunity to buy 2 or all 3 copies. I could have pressed, slabbed and sold the extras and more than paid for my keeper copy.

But the collector me says 'no, you only need 1 copy for your collection, save the money for other issues you need'.

I'm such a dork.

:facepalm:

I had the opportunity to buy 2 or all 3 copies. I could have pressed, slabbed and sold the extras and more than paid for my keeper copy.

But the collector me says 'no, you only need 1 copy for your collection, save the money for other issues you need'.

I'm such a dork.

CAK had the right idea, he was just late to the party.

I'm such a dork.

If it can console you, Number 6, I would have never bought a copy for $55.

My maximum budget for a Hulk #271 is $5. :D

BTW, I am slowly working on a sales thread of non-american wartime comics.

It will take some time but hopefully will contain some unique items. (thumbs u

That will be cool to see.

It will take a bit, but thanks for the interest. If you want, I can add you when I make a list of the boardies interested in the wartime in general (in periodicals, books, papers, etc.) as I will probably start some thread in the GA section as well.

It will take a bit, but thanks for the interest. If you want, I can add you when I make a list of the boardies interested in the wartime in general (in periodicals, books, papers, etc.) as I will probably start some thread in the GA section as well.

Please add me, as well. Thanks.

I'm such a dork.

If it can console you, Number 6, I would have never bought a copy for $55.

My maximum budget for a Hulk #271 is $5. :D

Oh I'm of the same opinion as you on the value of that issue. But I want to fill that hole in my run and the days of getting a nice copy that issue for $5 have probably sailed.

I just thought it was funny. Normally, I always miss stuff like that. And I would have missed if it hadn't been for the fact I was off work sick and was just clicking around trying to take my mind off feeling crummy.

I just happened to click on his sales thread when he was listing them and I though "hey, those look pretty nice, and the price seems reasonable (relatively speaking)." So I took the time to look the thread up on my tablet so I could zoom in on them a bit better. I actually thought to myself "hey, I better hurry up and pick one before someone comes along and snags all of them".

Not once did the thought cross my mind that I should snag all of them so I can pick the one I want in hand and then sell the rest for a profit.

Nope. Picked my copy, claimed it, and then within a couple of minutes someone claimed the rest. As soon as I saw that I thought to myself "See, I knew that was going to happen"

Then I thought "Hey, wait a minute...."

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely admire you for trying to complete your Hulk run.

I’d do the same with the Fantastic Four.

But loving Hulk, but not all the series with the same intensity of the FFs, it did not cost me much to sell my #181 to a board friend. :)

And I would not buy a #271 for more than $5…

On the other topic, i.e. buying for reselling: I am not sure it’s a bad thing on your part. It’s like entering a tunnel, as you start to think you have always to support your purchases with sales. And dealing with comics suddenly takes an enormous amount of time in your daily life. Not necessarily a thoroughly good thing… :P

Please add me, as well. Thanks.

You were automatically in without saying. :D