• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

what the heck is going on here...  

guy lists a low grade GA Cap with an image. Someone calls out that it looks like there's something weird going on  (" What's going on the yellow on the "N" and some of the other letters in the title. Is that color touch on the cover or a yellow block added to the pic?")  and he's all like "oh good catch" and says that "It was some lettering that was cut out and placed on top.  I just removed it, I'll post a new photo shortly of what is underneath." But when I look at the original post it doesnt look like lettering placed over the top, it looks like someone did a bad MS Paint job on covering up the writing and paper loss in those letters, and then he "removed it" (the lettering I guess" and then posted a new photo, which is the same photo, just pre-doctoring or whatever... 

Plus he hasnt mentioned the other tape on the cover (just the tape down the length of the spine)... the seller isn't new (since 2013) but man this particular listing seems very odd at the least (and to further complicate things he leaves the thread an hour later after posting more books and says that he just found out his grandmother was "not making it out of surgery") 

I dont know what to make of this... 

6 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

True.

Still plenty of books go to auction for what I am looking for.

7000 books is plenty to choose from.

but of those 7000 only  about 1300 have a bid, which is how I tell if it's a real auction or not... plenty of sellers list, and relist, and relist their "auction" at a full BIN price (I assume there's some benefit to listing it this way)... 

I wish there was a way to parse out new listings vs re-listings (and re-listings at same price vs re-listings at new price). 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

but of those 7000 only  about 1300 have a bid, which is how I tell if it's a real auction or not... plenty of sellers list, and relist, and relist their "auction" at a full BIN price (I assume there's some benefit to listing it this way)... 

I wish there was a way to parse out new listings vs re-listings (and re-listings at same price vs re-listings at new price). 

agree 100%

37 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

If you have a store they offer the same number of auctions as BINs.  So it makes sense to run a bunch of books as auctions since they are technically free if you want the BINs.  I'll call those "wait around to hit my BIN" or "hoping to get the auction only guys to see my books" auctions.

I'm actually trying to decide what's the best way to use up the auctions each month.  If I get the 1,000 BINs a month they also give me 1,000 auctions.  I'm not desperate enough to go the $1 and lose your shirt route so I'm considering listing 250 books to run via auction each week and add books from unsold BINs as books sell.  Switching back and forth from auction to BIN is a pain even in the bulk format.

Edited by 1Cool

27 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

People would just play the game of dropping a book by $1 and then adding $1 each month to get around the filter.

10 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

People would just play the game of dropping a book by $1 and then adding $1 each month to get around the filter.

Im sure some would, but the fact that doing so would require more intervention than just the autorelist function would probably limit the number of sellers who use the "trick" and even then it would still parse out a ton of listings that never get adjusted (I follow one item that has had it's price adjusted every time it is relisted, down $20, up $15, $down $50, up $70, never gets to my "buy it" price, but it does keep me paying attention, and the guy has to actually do something. 

3 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Im sure some would, but the fact that doing so would require more intervention than just the autorelist function would probably limit the number of sellers who use the "trick" and even then it would still parse out a ton of listings that never get adjusted (I follow one item that has had it's price adjusted every time it is relisted, down $20, up $15, $down $50, up $70, never gets to my "buy it" price, but it does keep me paying attention, and the guy has to actually do something. 

I'm assuming you don't do a lot of selling on E-Bay.  Always comes down to which side of the table (buyer vs seller) you are standing on.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

I agree, this is beyond strange.

CapA.png.0c4b75b68202fe2e450bbbb5489a61b9.png

CapB.png.82e1bd4195936928012ba58bad43d79f.png

18 hours ago, cmcfan said:

I can't believe I missed that.  Great eyes streyouttacomics.  It was some lettering that was cut out and placed on top.  I just removed it, I'll post a new photo shortly of what is underneath. 

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

what the heck is going on here...  

guy lists a low grade GA Cap with an image. Someone calls out that it looks like there's something weird going on  (" What's going on the yellow on the "N" and some of the other letters in the title. Is that color touch on the cover or a yellow block added to the pic?")  and he's all like "oh good catch" and says that "It was some lettering that was cut out and placed on top.  I just removed it, I'll post a new photo shortly of what is underneath." But when I look at the original post it doesnt look like lettering placed over the top, it looks like someone did a bad MS Paint job on covering up the writing and paper loss in those letters, and then he "removed it" (the lettering I guess" and then posted a new photo, which is the same photo, just pre-doctoring or whatever... 

Plus he hasnt mentioned the other tape on the cover (just the tape down the length of the spine)... the seller isn't new (since 2013) but man this particular listing seems very odd at the least (and to further complicate things he leaves the thread an hour later after posting more books and says that he just found out his grandmother was "not making it out of surgery") 

It's very odd, he keeps mentioning that it's Cap 7, too, when it's obviously Cap 9.

Maybe he was just very stressed out and posted the wrong book. It's possible there were cut out letters pasted over the ones that were there, and he pulled them off. I've actually seen a book like that.

17 minutes ago, Foley said:

I agree, this is beyond strange.

CapA.png.0c4b75b68202fe2e450bbbb5489a61b9.png

CapB.png.82e1bd4195936928012ba58bad43d79f.png

I've seen a lot but that is probably the weirdest.  How do you see the indent in the second 2 A in Captain?  Thru the coverup so it would have to be pressed down pretty hard.  The tape pulls on the I and N extend past the black border but you can still see the stress line (crease) mid way between the two letters.

Edited by 1Cool

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I've seen a lot but that is probably the weirdest.  How do you see the indent in the second 2 A in Captain?  Thru the coverup so it would have to be pressed down pretty hard.  The tape pulls on the I and N extend past the black border but you can still see the stress line (crease) mid way between the two letters.

Wait a second, what if those were letters pasted on top and the pulls happened AFTER he pulled them off the letters and he just showed the wrong picture?

12 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Wait a second, what if those were letters pasted on top and the pulls happened AFTER he pulled them off the letters and he just showed the wrong picture?

Yep - I think you are correct.  You can really see the color "tape" over the large A in America.

14 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Now the big question - is the book worth more with the "tape pull" or with the tape and the restoration distinction?  It was of course prettier with the tape but is a low grade unrestored worth more?

I don't know, I know personally I would have left the tape. I have quite a few books with Amateur resto, that I bought knowingly and that I love. I was just struggling with this very question.  I champion_3_0001.thumb.jpg.8f5922a48fbe29a7b08efeb696bba7e0.jpgjust saw a Champion 3, 4.0 with tape inside the cover, CGC 4.0 sell on the boards for $700. I think this book is nicer than 4.0, but it has a tiny bit of black marker at the end of the spine and I mean about 1/8th of an inch. If I have it removed, there will be a piece of missing cover there, so is it worth "more"?

19 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

That sounds like a reasonable assumption Sharon. Hopefully just an honest mistake with the picture upload. I doubt anybody would attempt a deception that's so overt. 

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't know, I know personally I would have left the tape. I have quite a few books with Amateur resto, that I bought knowingly and that I love. I was just struggling with this very question.  I champion_3_0001.thumb.jpg.8f5922a48fbe29a7b08efeb696bba7e0.jpgjust saw a Champion 3, 4.0 with tape inside the cover, CGC 4.0 sell on the boards for $700. I think this book is nicer than 4.0, but it has a tiny bit of black marker at the end of the spine and I mean about 1/8th of an inch. If I have it removed, there will be a piece of missing cover there, so is it worth "more"?

All good questions but not my area since I stay far away from Golden Age books where I see most restoration.

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

All good questions but not my area since I stay far away from Golden Age books where I see most restoration.

I just like the books, I don't care about the resto so much as long as I'm told about it first.

With a book like that Cap? I don't think people (at least on eBay ) care as much when it's so low grade to begin with. It's different when resto is used to deceive you into thinking something is high grade.

Most of that kind of GA resto seems to be from kids who were playing with their toys. I'm not old enough to have done this with GA books, but I sure decorated some SA ones as a small child. If you find a book with silver nail polish with sparkles...it might have been mine.)

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I thought that indent was a little strange as well.  Just a weird listing...

23 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Yep, nothing but over-priced books on the boards lately.

Much better deals on eBay. Have not bought anything here since the change-over.

Keep looking, but not much to see here.  

If I am reading this statement wrong I apologize but I also disagree. I always run my sales at under market values. 

And most times I take a best offer. So please don't lump every seller as overpriced.

Edited by faster friends