• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, charging an extra 3% on Paypal transactions is legitimate on the Boards Sales Threads. It's getting scary because I am seeing it quite frequently, seems to be catching on with all the new kids here. The Boards are essentially free of fees, no auction or E-Bay fees at all. Why nickel dime buyers for an extra 3% ? Why do sellers here feel entitled to not take on any of the costs of doing business ? I am making a statement, a 'protest' of sorts and hope others follow my lead. If I see the extra 3% in the sales thread, I am not buying from you.  I really think, to keep the Boards a fee less venue, this practice should not be allowed. It's so easy to simply embed in the price anyway. 

My guess is that a number of buyers are already doing what you're doing, and have been for a while. I buy a ton of stuff here, and I can pretty much say that once I see the "add 3% for PP" in the terms, I'm immediately out of the thread (I have no problem with someone offering a discount when paid by check, as that's a different concept, IMO, as any PP costs would presumably be built into the asking price already).

On my sales threads, I always have assumed the PP fee as a cost of doing business, as you said, and have factored that into whatever I'm asking on something. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:
4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, charging an extra 3% on Paypal transactions is legitimate on the Boards Sales Threads. It's getting scary because I am seeing it quite frequently, seems to be catching on with all the new kids here. The Boards are essentially free of fees, no auction or E-Bay fees at all. Why nickel dime buyers for an extra 3% ? Why do sellers here feel entitled to not take on any of the costs of doing business ? I am making a statement, a 'protest' of sorts and hope others follow my lead. If I see the extra 3% in the sales thread, I am not buying from you.  I really think, to keep the Boards a fee less venue, this practice should not be allowed. It's so easy to simply embed in the price anyway. 

My guess is that a number of buyers are already doing what you're doing, and have been for a while. I buy a ton of stuff here, and I can pretty much say that once I see the "add 3% for PP" in the terms, I'm immediately out of the thread (I have no problem with someone offering a discount when paid by check, as that's a different concept, IMO, as any PP costs would presumably be built into the asking price already).

On my sales threads, I always have assumed the PP fee as a cost of doing business, as you said, and have factored that into whatever I'm asking on something. 

I think its ok to allow it.  I just don't think its a 'best practice', and like many others I'm turned off by it.  But I think some sellers like the idea of potential customers seeing the 'lowest' possible prices when they go through a sales thread.  Just a matter for preferences for both buyers and sellers.  If you're not lying or misrepresenting something and make the terms clear, I think the rest should be allowed.

I'm not sure I'd buy a book from someone who says here are the pictures, but I don't have the books yet and they may look different;)  Seems to be in too big a rush wait until he can actually show how the books look? I mean waiting till he "had" the books would be silly, right? 

14 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm not sure I'd buy a book from someone who says here are the pictures, but I don't have the books yet and they may look different;)  Seems to be in too big a rush wait until he can actually show how the books look? I mean waiting till he "had" the books would be silly, right? 

(thumbsu

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

image.png

Edited by DR.X

On 10/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.  It's ridiculous to see so many sellers in this place trying to avoid every fee possible for selling.  There is a cost to doing business so conveniently on the internet and this new breed of seller is clueless.  They won't get very far with their tactics and absolutely no business sense. 

If I can also add, learn to grade.  I see some long term board members that must be grading in the dark while the comic is in the bag.  It's worse then eBay at times.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:46 PM, Red_Hood said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.  It's ridiculous to see so many sellers in this place trying to avoid every fee possible for selling.  There is a cost to doing business so conveniently on the internet and this new breed of seller is clueless.  They won't get very far with their tactics and absolutely no business sense. 

If I can also add, learn to grade.  I see some long term board members that must be grading in the dark while the comic is in the bag.  It's worse then eBay at times.

The poor grading is usually obvious right away. Once I see that “9.2” that loooks like an 8.0, I back out of the thread and don’t even bother looking at it again.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

The poor grading is usually obvious right away. Once I see that “9.2” that loooks like an 8.0, I back out of the thread and don’t even bother looking at it again.

Or when a "6.0" looks like it was just fished out of a dumpster.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:31 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Since PayPal bans charging buyers more, then how is it ok to sell here by breaking PP terms of service

paypal does not allow using “personal” payments and it is correctly forbidden here. By the same measure PP will not allow you to charge more for a PP payment than other accepted forms of payment. So why is this tolerated here?

Just state no PP payments or follow the rules of the service you are using.

Edited by NP_Gresham

8 hours ago, Red_Hood said:
17 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Or when a "6.0" looks like it was just fished out of a dumpster.

Maybe you and I are thinking of the same recent sales thread in gold/silver/bronze.

The prevailing position on this issue has been that disputing assigned grades is 'thread-crapping' and therefore frowned upon. But the flip side is that sellers with no compunction to over grade and thereby over charge are permitted free reign to list and sell in this free forum and try to take advantage of boardies who may think, especially if they are new to the forum, that sellers who sell here know how to grade. From that perspective, these sellers are taking advantage of the forum good will which to me makes them fair target for calling out their over grading.

But that opinion is the decided minority one here, so it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

The prevailing position on this issue has been that disputing assigned grades is 'thread-crapping' and therefore frowned upon. But the flip side is that sellers with no compunction to over grade and thereby over charge are permitted free reign to list and sell in this free forum and try to take advantage of boardies who may think, especially if they are new to the forum, that sellers who sell here know how to grade. From that perspective, these sellers are taking advantage of the forum good will which to me makes them fair target for calling out their over grading.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :golfclap:

2 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

I believe that "thread crapping" just pertains to calling out people in their sales threads. 

Doesn't mean I'm advocating starting a ruckus on this thread, but I don't see how it could be "thread crapping". 

Just not sure how it could be done without explosions. Explosions usually don't solve the problems. They just create hard feelings, so I have no idea what the right answer would be.

6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Since PayPal bans charging buyers more, then how is it ok to sell here by breaking PP terms of service

+1

This place is pretty straight and usually dictates that sellers and buyers follow terms of service. I always figured that the "add 3%" people would eventually get beaten down by those demanding that terms of service be adhered to. There is no ambiguity to be exploited here (as I believe there is in the media mail discussion for instance) and I am surprised that the "add 3%"ers (should I refer to them as addled?) seem to be winning out.