• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Lately, I'm having trouble figuring some things out. 

A new person asks about pricing for 2 books, mentions the price he was asked to pay.  A week later the new person has those books for sale on the forum for a higher price. 

Does this mean he doesn't know we can see the old posts?

Price doesn't bother me as much as the pictures of the books in the bags though. Bags hide so many flaws.

10 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Lately, I'm having trouble figuring some things out. 

A new person asks about pricing for 2 books, mentions the price he was asked to pay.  A week later the new person has those books for sale on the forum for a higher price. 

Does this mean he doesn't know we can see the old posts?

Price doesn't bother me as much as the pictures of the books in the bags though. Bags hide so many flaws.

That's why your sales threads are the best :) You know what you're doing. 

Without people and their bags, everyone's sales would be equal. 

PLUS, you offer baked goods. 

8 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

That's why your sales threads are the best :) You know what you're doing. 

Without people and their bags, everyone's sales would be equal. 

PLUS, you offer baked goods. 

You are sweet, but we were all new once. I just think we used to read a little more before having sales threads and we asked a LOT of questions. ;)

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You are sweet, but we were all new once. I just think we used to read a little more before having sales threads and we asked a LOT of questions. ;)

True. Usually the consequence of no sales is reading the rules. It's the circle of the market place. 

15 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

I still get invoices requesting PayPal personal payment

I just ignore it, but how hard is for sellers to read the rules and stop asking for this.

Outing them here would probably put an end to it since they seem to only do it in private messages 

Just a friendly :baiting:,

Twice earlier this week I missed out on some books I wanted to buy because it was not clear if shipping to Canada was available and while I was asking the books sold. In both instances Canadian shipping was available, but not declared in the thread. I have since tried to ask at the outset if shipping to Canada is available if it even looks like there will be something of interest in a thread. It is very frustrating to miss out on something over such a banal piece of information. Just a friendly reminder to remember us foreigners when making your rules for your next sales thread, whether shipping is available or not.   

Thank you :) 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, Patriot6 said:

Twice earlier this week I missed out on some books I wanted to buy because it was not clear if shipping to Canada was available and while I was asking the books sold. In both instances Canadian shipping was available, but not declared in the thread. I have since tried to ask at the outset if shipping to Canada is available if it even looks like there will be something of interest in a thread. It is very frustrating to miss out on something over such a banal piece of information. Just a friendly reminder to remember us foreigners when making your rules for your next sales thread, whether shipping is available or not.   

Its either lazy or stupid to not sell to Canada. Ive never had an issue and have probably shipped at least 100-200 packages up there over the past 10 years or so. 

On the seller end my only expectations is for them not to freak out when they find its not cheap to ship there safely and sometimes it wont get there for weeks.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:41 PM, Patriot6 said:

If it's not clear I just :takeit: and if it's a problem I can just bow out.

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'd hate to miss out on something I want and most sellers will ship to canada if I'm willing to pay the cost and if they trust me

Could it be that some think that there is an extra step to shipping internationally that is somehow laborious, when in reality it is simply answering a few extra questions?

43 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Could it be that some think that there is an extra step to shipping internationally that is somehow laborious, when in reality it is simply answering a few extra questions?

Some sellers don't want to fill out the customs form.  I think the US postal system allows for a sender to print postage at home and drop the package off without standing in line and that's not possible if a customs form is required.  Some Canadian buyers ask for the customs declaration $ amount to be under-declared to reduce GST,  I think it's also harder to track a package crossing boarders as I've seen a number of US sellers complain about packages to foreign buyers disappearing or damaged.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Some sellers don't want to fill out the customs form.  I think the US postal system allows for a sender to print postage at home and drop the package off without standing in line and that's not possible if a customs form is required.  Some Canadian buyers ask for the customs declaration $ amount to be under-declared to reduce GST,  I think it's also harder to track a package crossing boarders as I've seen a number of US sellers complain about packages to foreign buyers disappearing or damaged.

Got it. Thanks for the reply (thumbsu.

I got nailed with GST today....hard...almost paid more in duty than what I paid for the books. Win some, lose some.