• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Yes, this is where people are actively buying and selling, but there was discussion some time ago about being able to warn others about sellers and some of the selling tactics they were using to take advantage of members that may not be aware of some of the "bad" sellers.  What I'm trying to get is why, besides it derailing a thread, is it frown upon to post a caution in a sales thread.  

A caution note can always be posted, it will not be censored. What is stygmatized is "thread crapping".
It’s clear that when sales tactics are "shady" or problematic, you have difficulties in pointing something out and at the same time avoiding "thread crapping".

But what is often done is addressing new sellers which are posting incorrectly and/or tendentiously or without previous references (and small number of posts) by pointing them to the marketplace rules.

I think it works as it is, it just takes the effort from the community as a whole, and especially not encouraging dubious sales.

4 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

What do you find when you read PayPal’s ToS?

Their TOS indicates that they do, but if the seller states they don't offer refunds for a non-eBay transaction then will Paypal honor it? 

A seller on the board indicated they'll take Paypal with Buyer's Protection, but also mentions no refunds on the books in the thread.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

Another new sales thread here:

A new seller I'm not familiar with, a join date in September, a deal that looks well under GPA, and no PayPal protection, but payment in Bitcoin and Ripple.

Ripple -- isn't that what Fred Sanford used to drink? ???

Maybe it's something about the holidays that brings out these "unusual" sales threads ...

Some sellers don't understand when they come here we are not easy prey here. The seller's forum is pretty unique to almost everywhere else, but it requires good
our Mods to monitor it well.

These punks usually come in on the weekends when they know Mods aren't here as much.

Bitcoin and ripple what a joke.

1 hour ago, Columbia Comics said:

Is it just me or do others find it in poor taste to offer up a sizable 5-figure book then wanna tag you for $20 to $40 for shipping?

I don’t understand this either. Just eat the shipping cost. I do free shipping on everything.

5 hours ago, faster friends said:
7 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

Is it just me or do others find it in poor taste to offer up a sizable 5-figure book then wanna tag you for $20 to $40 for shipping?

I don’t understand this either. Just eat the shipping cost. I do free shipping on everything.

I don't think it is poor taste, just poor marketing.  Definitely has the scent of cheap-@zz 

The%20Great%20Stink%20[Webimage%20800%20x%20600].jpg

15 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

I don't find anything shocking lately. I see people selling expensive books all the time with no back cover pictures, blurry cell phone pictures and the one that really bugs me...No returns.

I try to use free shipping as an incentive on lower priced books. Sometimes it hurts when  you realize that the person lives 2,000 miles from you and you are giving an additional 25% discount on already discounted cheaper things, duh;) ...but I'm thrilled with how much it helps sales.

Bitcoins, ripple (I thought that was a cheap wine before the sales forum), people with one post selling who have obviously been here for a while, so you are not sure if they are shills or just nice lurkers, it all adds up to an interesting day in the marketplace;) 

Otherwise we'd just be bored;)

I DO appreciate the vigilance here, and I read all the posts in this thread, it helps me as a buyer and a seller.

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I don't find anything shocking lately. I see people selling expensive books all the time with no back cover pictures, blurry cell phone pictures and the one that really bugs me...No returns.

I try to use free shipping as an incentive on lower priced books. Sometimes it hurts when  you realize that the person lives 2,000 miles from you and you are giving an additional 25% discount on already discounted cheaper things, duh;) ...but I'm thrilled with how much it helps sales.

Bitcoins, ripple (I thought that was a cheap wine before the sales forum), people with one post selling who have obviously been here for a while, so you are not sure if they are shills or just nice lurkers, it all adds up to an interesting day in the marketplace;) 

Otherwise we'd just be bored;)

I DO appreciate the vigilance here, and I read all the posts in this thread, it helps me as a buyer and a seller.

Fair point on the "nothing new and shocking" lately.  Just seems a bit off if you're going to sell a $20k+ book and then nickel someone for another $20 or so. 

It's my opinion, it's unnecessary at that price level.   Again, my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

Fair point on the "nothing new and shocking" lately.  Just seems a bit off if you're going to sell a $20k+ book and then nickel someone for another $20 or so. 

It's my opinion, it's unnecessary at that price level.   Again, my opinion.

I wouldn't do it, but I guess they figure if you are spending $20k on a book, you can afford $20 more $$;) or maybe that's the big negotiating point. Pay full price for the book but ask for free shipping;)?

On 1/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, Shadow Images said:

So much for people not breaking the new surcharge rule for PayPal.

The greed is real.  No fees for selling here and you still can't eat the 3%?  And then when they're called on it, the response is, "Okay, I'll just inform the buyer via PM after they take the book."  :banana:

On January 22, 2018 at 9:19 AM, entalmighty1 said:

The greed is real.  No fees for selling here and you still can't eat the 3%?  And then when they're called on it, the response is, "Okay, I'll just inform the buyer via PM after they take the book."  :banana:

Lets say hypothetically this happened, could one back out of the deal and not be crucified by the boards for backing out of a deal? What I mean is, if I took a book and someone slid additional fees in at the last second like that, like buying a used car or something, I would be rather steamed. Are you locked in at this point?