• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

What about two sections?  I've been wondering if it's worth having subsections in the sales forum for approved sellers only.  One fixed set of rules, approved by members, written in stone.  Not on the list?  Cant post in these subforums.  Have gold/silver/bronze, and copper/modern/other for approved sellers only.  Brand new members or occasional sellers can do it in "uncertified - all ages".  New members can be voted in based on good behavior in uncertified.

seems like a lot for not much gain. What would be the benefit? We have the PoS and Hall of Shame and we can see post counts as it is.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

seems like a lot for not much gain. What would be the benefit? We have the PoS and Hall of Shame and we can see post counts as it is.

No more rules disputes, everyone uses the same terms.  In exchange, sellers benefit from premium selling space.  Buyers also benefit from doing business with proven members of the community.  It's not perfect, but worth a discussion, I think.

16 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

No more rules disputes, everyone uses the same terms.  In exchange, sellers benefit from premium selling space.  Buyers also benefit from doing business with proven members of the community.  It's not perfect, but worth a discussion, I think.

For something like this to have legs, you have to find a need and then satisfy it.  For most long-term boardies, the Selling area is more than good enough for what it is:  A place to look for what you want and unload what you don't.  Most of the problem threads have come from 3 types of bad actors (1) Pure Charlatans. These guys normally get smoked out quickly, but sometimes they snare the overzealous or the avaricious.  (2) FDQ Sellers. Formerly good Boardies who flame out. Pretty self explanatory. These guys have had good threads and good relations and then they go off the reservation and leave a lot of people hanging. (3) Scofflaws. These people refuse to adhere to norms of the Boards and also refuse to live up to the rules. 

If you can convince the majority of people that you can solve these problems, you might get some traction, but otherwise, I feel like most long time Boardies know how to navigate the Selling Threads to get what they want out of it.  

5 hours ago, Ryan. said:

It seems like the break-up of the different sales sections causes more harm than solving any perceived problems. 

Why am I wrong? 

Maybe narrowing it down to two forums would be doable but I don’t think it is that big of a deal with three. It may help a bit as I often forget to even look in the mixed ages 70% of the time.

A little leeway on adherence to ages could help. If there is a small amount of books that flow from bronze to copper, it shouldn’t be a big deal to have a few here and there. Like everything else, a hard and fast rule doesn’t need to be enforced. More of a “you know it when you see it” type of thing.

Granted, I am coming at this from someone who was around a lot years ago and has only started paying any attention to the sales threads again in the last six to nine months. In reality, are these huge problems or just annoyances? Dale’s thread and the “issues” with some copper books seemed to be completely silly. In other words, some of what I am mentioning may not have any merit towards any long term issues. Just some things that I have noticed.

51 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I just don’t know if the frequency of complaints warrants a kinda big change like that. For every seller that comes in with a complaint on the rules, how many are plugging along?

Granted it is irritating to see a decent amount of space in the sales forums taken up by threads that have been removed but maybe the crux of that issue is not so many people violating the rules as it is the black and white nature of the enforcement of this rules?

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

We'll always have rules disputes (many of those flaunting the rules are established board members) and the proven members stuff is taken care of already with the Probation list and HoS. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Park said:

Maybe narrowing it down to two forums would be doable but I don’t think it is that big of a deal with three. It may help a bit as I often forget to even look in the mixed ages 70% of the time.

A little leeway on adherence to ages could help. If there is a small amount of books that flow from bronze to copper, it shouldn’t be a big deal to have a few here and there. Like everything else, a hard and fast rule doesn’t need to be enforced. More of a “you know it when you see it” type of thing.

Granted, I am coming at this from someone who was around a lot years ago and has only started paying any attention to the sales threads again in the last six to nine months. In reality, are these huge problems or just annoyances? Dale’s thread and the “issues” with some copper books seemed to be completely silly. In other words, some of what I am mentioning may not have any merit towards any long term issues. Just some things that I have noticed.

Maybe the section breakouts aren't a problem at all. The only one that seems to get real traffic is G/S/B but that may be because that's the primary interest of the buyers and sellers of the boards. 

35 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Maybe the section breakouts aren't a problem at all. The only one that seems to get real traffic is G/S/B but that may be because that's the primary interest of the buyers and sellers of the boards. 

Yeah, that is where the most interest and money seems to be and kinda always has been.

Buncha middle aged guys blowing their kid’s inheritance.

Scanario1:
If someone posts "ASM #200 CGC 9.4 for $75" and they show a picture of ASM 200 CGC 9.6

is it thread krapping to say "That's a picture of CGC 9.6,  is that a typo?"

Scenario 2:

If someone posts "ASM #200 CGC 9.8 $175, and they also post " recent GPA $235" 

is it thread krapping to say "most recent GPA is $160, and 12 month GPA is $175, is that a typo?"

The first happens without anyone blinking, but it's as factual and clarifying as the second one... which would be considered thread krapping...

(kinda tongue in cheek, but kinda not...)

Personally I would have no trouble with #2, there is a difference I think with absolute claims. Another example might be a seller mistakenly claiming that a given grade is "sole highest" on the census, it would not be threadkrapping to post a correction. I think some may object that the best way to "correct" is first by PM, and only if it remains uncorrected to post. 2c

10 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Here's a vote for pro-threadkrapping! You want to call your F/VF comic a VF/NM (or higher)? I want to call you a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces. Yet, I'm the bad guy!

Why can't I be me??

:cry:

ah but in the case of individual grading it is subjective! So your F/VF might be his VF/NM. You  might be harsher about dust shadows than he, or he may have a personal beef with bug chews and grades them harsher than other bits of degradation. 

All of it is superseded as long as there are photos (where the buyer can make their own decision on grade).

That the difference with GPA, it is (to a degree, depending on how it is used and stated) objective rather than subjective. 

29 minutes ago, miraclemet said:
42 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Here's a vote for pro-threadkrapping! You want to call your F/VF comic a VF/NM (or higher)? I want to call you a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces. Yet, I'm the bad guy!

Why can't I be me??

:cry:

ah but in the case of individual grading it is subjective! So your F/VF might be his VF/NM. You  might be harsher about dust shadows than he, or he may have a personal beef with bug chews and grades them harsher than other bits of degradation. 

All of it is superseded as long as there are photos (where the buyer can make their own decision on grade).

That the difference with GPA, it is (to a degree, depending on how it is used and stated) objective rather than subjective. 

Then we can all have a lively debate about the dust shadows and bug chews in the seller's thread! A two point difference isn't really subjective anyway, if you're that far apart someone is being willfully obtuse IMO.

10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Scanario1:
If someone posts "ASM #200 CGC 9.4 for $75" and they show a picture of ASM 200 CGC 9.6

is it thread krapping to say "That's a picture of CGC 9.6,  is that a typo?"

Scenario 2:

If someone posts "ASM #200 CGC 9.8 $175, and they also post " recent GPA $235" 

is it thread krapping to say "most recent GPA is $160, and 12 month GPA is $175, is that a typo?"

The first happens without anyone blinking, but it's as factual and clarifying as the second one... which would be considered thread krapping...

(kinda tongue in cheek, but kinda not...)

I think both are permitted. They are both correcting a factual statement as opposed to an opinion or the more amorphous out of context statement. 

Have warnings ever been given by the mods for threadkrapping ? There doesn't seem to be an actual stated rule against it in the Sales Thread Rules . It's obvious there are a lot of different opinions as to what even constitues a threadkrap.

- Ever see a sales thread where a book is way underpriced and immediately bought. Then come the comments about how it was a steal. Don't you think the seller feels like 'krap' after seeing these comments. Yet, it seems to be condoned and not considered a threadkrap.

- What about all the commentary about how nice a book is, how good a price it is, why is it still here,etc.. Often, these comments come off as a bunch of 'krap', with the sellers buddies chatting it up. 

I'm all for being respectful and restraining from comment in a sales thread. I'm honestly just confused .

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Have warnings ever been given by the mods for threadkrapping ? There doesn't seem to be an actual stated rule against it in the Sales Thread Rules . It's obvious there are a lot of different opinions as to what even constitues a threadkrap.

- Ever see a sales thread where a book is way underpriced and immediately bought. Then come the comments about how it was a steal. Don't you think the seller feels like 'krap' after seeing these comments. Yet, it seems to be condoned and not considered a threadkrap.

- What about all the commentary about how nice a book is, how good a price it is, why is it still here,etc.. Often, these comments come off as a bunch of 'krap', with the sellers buddies chatting it up. 

I'm all for being respectful and restraining from comment in a sales thread. I'm honestly just confused .

It's kinda like the kudos forum.  Leave out the bad, and pour on the good.