• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

He said he didn't have a problem if both buyers and sellers agree it's a good idea.  Personally, I don't like the idea.  

I am not sure about what is proposed, is it that we formally in the rules allow for some % of copper books in threads in G/S/B? Part of the problem of enforcement in the first place is that there is no agreement on what year precisely copper begins, and if that's the case, how will you accurately measure the % of copper books if there is not first a consensus on a hard date to determine what books count as copper? So there would still need to be a consensus date for what is copper, and of course if we could agree on that than the existing rule would be less problematic and fairer for everyone. 2c

Just make another thread! It is 2 additional seconds of work, cut and paste the rules and be done with it. If you want, add a post to the "in other ages sales thread" thread. If the idea is to get people to see it, then two threads are better than one with a link in the first post to the other thread. It isn't that difficult to do. :sumo: No need to go muddying the waters and all that jazz.

10 minutes ago, crassus said:

I am not sure about what is proposed, is it that we formally in the rules allow for some % of copper books in threads in G/S/B? Part of the problem of enforcement in the first place is that there is no agreement on what year precisely copper begins, and if that's the case, how will you accurately measure the % of copper books if there is not first a consensus on a hard date to determine what books count as copper? So there would still need to be a consensus date for what is copper, and of course if we could agree on that than the existing rule would be less problematic and fairer for everyone. 2c

I am in total agreement that @Architecht should list specific cutoff dates for both forums.  

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I am in total agreement that @Architecht should list specific cutoff dates for both forums.  

In his reply he suggests leeway with the bronze/copper date, so a cutoff of 1985 for G/S/B and 1983 for C/M seems like what he means with 1983-1985 being able to be posted in either forum. It isn't those dates that are the issue I think, but later books in G/S/B and earlier books in C/M.

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

In his reply he suggests leeway with the bronze/copper date, so a cutoff of 1985 for G/S/B and 1983 for C/M seems like what he means with 1983-1985 being able to be posted in either forum. It isn't those dates that are the issue I think, but later books in G/S/B and earlier books in C/M.

I think it should read through 1984 in GSB and 1985 to present in Copper/Modern.  

35 minutes ago, Bird said:

Just make another thread! It is 2 additional seconds of work, cut and paste the rules and be done with it. If you want, add a post to the "in other ages sales thread" thread. If the idea is to get people to see it, then two threads are better than one with a link in the first post to the other thread. It isn't that difficult to do. :sumo: No need to go muddying the waters and all that jazz.

I agree with this.  Would this not give the most exposure.

People looking for Copper/Modern books are most likely not going to be looking in the G/S/B forums..

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Or you could just skip over the handful of copper books that you have a problem with. That takes no seconds.

11 minutes ago, october said:

Or you could just skip over the handful of copper books that you have a problem with. That takes no seconds.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I'm not complaining anywhere here. (shrug) I wouldn't report anyone for this but then again I list in mixed all the time.

You could just not participate if the seller is doing something you don’t like. If enough people object, the seller will adjust. 

Again, why is everyone so deadset on policing everything. Market forces usually decide. 

I sold basically every copper book I listed in my thread, so obviously there is interest even in a thread which is 95-96 % old books. To me, it keeps the thread fun, never knowing what might pop up next. I will dare say the hundreds of people that frequent my threads, Andy’s threads, and foolkillers threads in the past would agree with me. 

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Well you did ask for opinions 

I did. So did arch. We need to hear other peoples opinions. We know yours. We know mine. 

I don’t mean that to sound dismissive. I just think that a tiny percentage of the books in a big thread is not a big deal. 

This is why this place is dead. It use to be fun. Now people treat it like a police state. 

Edited by Dale Roberts

10 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

I did. So did arch. We need to hear other peoples opinions. We know yours. We know mine. 

I don’t mean that to sound dismissive. I just think that a tiny percentage of the books in a big thread is not a big deal. 

This is why this place is dead. It use to be fun. Now people treat it like a police state. 

Hey you’re posting more about it than I am And we knew your opinion when you started

I have a lot of fun here and I like it more now than I did a few years ago

16 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

You could just not participate if the seller is doing something you don’t like. If enough people object, the seller will adjust. 

Again, why is everyone so deadset on policing everything. Market forces usually decide. 

I sold basically every copper book I listed in my thread, so obviously there is interest even in a thread which is 95-96 % old books. To me, it keeps the thread fun, never knowing what might pop up next. I will dare say the hundreds of people that frequent my threads, Andy’s threads, and foolkillers threads in the past would agree with me. 

Another scenario is, sellers could follow the short list of rules on this free place to sell.   

I like the idea of set dates. The problem with allowing some copper books in G/S/B is that then someone will want to put some modern books in as well, then magazines, then shoes, then clocks. After all, any deviation would be more work for them...it IS more work, I'm not saying it is not.

I understand where Dale and Andy are coming from, I have some Archives I wanted to list but I haven't figured out where to put them, so I've been lazy about it, but it's not a huge deal.

IF you are going to allow anything in G/S/B, then get rid of mixed and Modern, have one forum, decoupage shoes, purses, superman watches, It would certainly be less work for the mods that way. 

Ebay has splits. @Dale Roberts  and @octoberI don't list much on eBay anymore, I do, but not that often. I find it a pita to switch from place to place, but I find it annoying when I'm shopping and see moderns cluttering up gold so I put the books in the categories where they seem to belong. What do you do when you list there? Do you put them all in one place?

This is what I see...people who have massive threads, or "special threads" who aren't on here much listing or chatting, probably want to have the rules apply more loosely, because it appears their object is to sell and get it done and get out.

For the rest of us, I don't really see many other of the "little" people complaining about that rule. I don't think it's a big deal to most of us, but I might be wrong so I agree there should be a poll. 

BTW, I've never seen a thread pulled for one book. I may have missed a lot, but I've never seen it.

Edited by skypinkblu
added a sentence

24 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

and here I thought it was the "new" software. :tonofbricks: At least that is what we had tons of threads about. I think there are less posters because there are more places to sell and post. Instagram, Facebook, twitter, fritter,  etc.