• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Just now, Bird said:

Regarding the threadkrapping discussion recently...I have a sales thread in mixed ages forum and @vaillant stopped by today. I know he likely isn't buying due to being on the other side of the world and I am selling bulk but we exchanged some posts for a while and I thought it was the best part of the thread so far. I like it when people come by and talk it up. I wish more people would post even if they are not buying. I have sometimes said that I encourage it but it doesn;t seem to help much but being social is the best part of the boards and any chance I get to do so is welcome.

I will come by and add some uselss banter but only if Bomber-Bob does so with me. :sumo::whee:

And to be honest, I hesitate sometimes as you can't be sure how some sellers want to run their sales threads.

2 minutes ago, Park said:

I will come by and add some uselss banter but only if Bomber-Bob does so with me. :sumo::whee:

And to be honest, I hesitate sometimes as you can't be sure how some sellers want to run their sales threads.

it has been fairly quiet in there, sold a short box though. But yes, feel free to be nice, nasty, what have you. It is all in good fun and I'll report your azz if I don't like it! :sumo:

34 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Trimmed comics. Do they fall under the category of restoration or qualified stated grade?

Trimming is "damage" not restoration. You will see them in a Purple label, but there are no "restoration" notes on the book (unless something else was done to it) The "Apparent" grade is noted.

s-l1600.jpg

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Trimming is "damage" not restoration. You will see them in a Purple label, but there are no "restoration" notes on the book (unless something else was done to it) The "Apparent" grade is noted.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Sharon, I should have phrased the question as such: would a trimmed comic get a purple or green label? Just a pet peeve of mine when I see sellers trying to pass off trimmed raw comics as NM without mentioning they are trimmed.

10 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Thanks Sharon, I should have phrased the question as such: would a trimmed comic get a purple or green label? Just a pet peeve of mine when I see sellers trying to pass off trimmed raw comics as NM without mentioning they are trimmed.

No problem, lol. I'm happy to help when I actually know something;) Do you know for sure that they "know" it's trimmed? People miss stuff all the time, especially trimming.

Just now, skypinkblu said:

No problem, lol. I'm happy to help when I actually know something;) Do you know for sure that they "know" it's trimmed? People miss stuff all the time, especially trimming.

Am I saying the sellers knows they are trimmed? No. Am I saying that from the pictures posted that they look trimmed? yes.

10 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe PM them and tell them that. I know if I miss something I appreciate when someone tells me.

Most of them have sold so I won't say anything now. I will leave it up to the boardies that bought them . If they find an issue with them then they can take it up with the seller. If they are happy with the comics then there is no issue.

I had to initiate a return to a seller once who sold me an Amazing Spider-man 430 that was listed as NM. It was moderately priced copy under $20. The pic edges were cropped so I knew I was taking a chance at there being some kind of defect when I received it. It was a nice copy except the top edge had been trimmed. I reported it to the seller. He refused a return and said he stood by his grade. Ebay stepped in and refunded my money and told me to keep the comic. I ended up giving it away because I hated how it looked in a bag and board. It had a terrible slant at the top.

Edited by kairos70

11 hours ago, Park said:

Understandable. I allow myself to do so with boardies which I befriended, or at least that I got acquainted with in an amicable way. :)
And as many know… you can’t ever tell when I strike! ;)

13 hours ago, kairos70 said:

Most of them have sold so I won't say anything now. I will leave it up to the boardies that bought them . If they find an issue with them then they can take it up with the seller. If they are happy with the comics then there is no issue.

I had to initiate a return to a seller once who sold me an Amazing Spider-man 430 that was listed as NM. It was moderately priced copy under $20. The pic edges were cropped so I knew I was taking a chance at there being some kind of defect when I received it. It was a nice copy except the top edge had been trimmed. I reported it to the seller. He refused a return and said he stood by his grade. Ebay stepped in and refunded my money and told me to keep the comic. I ended up giving it away because I hated how it looked in a bag and board. It had a terrible slant at the top.

modern comics are rarely trimmed, even less likely for a low dollar book, what made you think it was trimmed? I only ask because some people work from mis-perceptions of trimming (like if they can see the internal pages sticking out past the cover edge, they assume the edge was trimmed, rather than the more likely cause of a problem with alignment when printing/assembling. 

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

modern comics are rarely trimmed, even less likely for a low dollar book, what made you think it was trimmed? I only ask because some people work from mis-perceptions of trimming (like if they can see the internal pages sticking out past the cover edge, they assume the edge was trimmed, rather than the more likely cause of a problem with alignment when printing/assembling. 

The comics I was referring to are Bronze. If the spines have minimal wear they usually can stand up to a trimming because of their larger size. It wasn't one or two it was the majority of the lot. The tell-tale sign for me is the slant that occurs on the right edge toward the bottom when it is done poorly. The comic appears wider at the top and narrows towards the bottom. It takes on an asymmetrical appearance and less of a rectangular shape.

The trimmed ASM #430 from I bought on ebay and the Avengers 1 that Skypinkblu posted were trimmed on the top edge.  The ASM #430 had a very noticeable slant when in a bag and board. Unfortunately, I deleted the scan after I received the refund. The Avengers 1 trim on the top edge is almost imperceptible to me. I'm not sure how the CGC grader knew it was trimmed.

5 hours ago, miraclemet said:

That's what I was thinking.

A 'trimmed' modern seems highly unlikely.

Is it NOT okay to post links to the sales threads (or posts) that are often the topics of discussion for this Discussion Thread?

Personally, I don't believe it's bad form to include a link to the thread in question, but given the amount of questions asked or comments made here that do not include a link, I think I might be mistaken.

22 hours ago, kairos70 said:

1 hour ago, kairos70 said:

No one said they were modern.

I bolded the part where you said the Asm 403 was trimmed.

A 1995 comic is modern, yes? (eBay categories say yes....)

Edited by miraclemet