• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, KPR Comics said:

Is it "excessive" bumping when a sales thread adds a book or two every day or so?  Certainly helps w/keeping the thread on page 1 in G/S/B

It could be. Is it against the 'letter of the law'? Probably not. Is it against the 'spirit of the law'? Yeah, maybe and it could be a loophole to be exploited by a seller who likes to push the envelope. I do not believe that most sellers here would do that but some definitely would. No question about it.

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

It could be. Is it against the 'letter of the law'? Probably not. Is it against the 'spirit of the law'? Yeah, maybe and it could be a loophole to be exploited by a seller who likes to push the envelope. I do not believe that most sellers here would do that but some definitely would. No question about it.

Yeah assume if it is a pattern, it can be yanked.  I looked back at the rules but nothing that I see about listing books within a certain time period.  Below are the two rules that are related.  

• No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.
  • Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you. ALSO HIDING YOUR POST AFTER BUMPING WILL NOT SAVE YOU. Yep, we can see that stuff.

13 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Does it drive anybody else completely insane when sellers edit out the prices when a book is sold?  What's the point of deleting the price?  Even if it sold per PM for less, at least the price is probably a ballpark figure of where it ended. 

YES, it drives me crazy...I mean, is it a State Secret? 

I just don't understand the point.  It helps me figure pricing (whether I'm selling or buying) to see the prices. I asked one frequent seller here why he does that, I never got answer, but someone else said he was concerned about "data mining"...we are not the CIA, lol.

I even leave the prices up when I lower them, I cross out the first price so people can judge.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

I just don't understand the point.  It helps me figure pricing (whether I'm selling or buying) to see the prices. I asked one frequent seller here why he does that, I never got answer, but someone else said he was concerned about "data mining"...we are not the CIA, lol.

I even leave the prices up when I lower them, I cross out the first price so people can judge.

I do the same thing when I cut prices!  I think it helps the community overall.  It kind of lets you know where you started, and what finally got it sold.

Also, data mining?  I can barely keep track of my inventory, much less know anything about data mining.  Also, who cares if somebody is data mining price information?  Isn't that what GPA does to a certain extent?

3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I do the same thing when I cut prices!  I think it helps the community overall.  It kind of lets you know where you started, and what finally got it sold.

Also, data mining?  I can barely keep track of my inventory, much less know anything about data mining.  Also, who cares if somebody is data mining price information?  Isn't that what GPA does to a certain extent?

I just figure I have nothing to hide. 

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

100% agree.  If anything, it will help your sales if you show what the actual price reduction is.  Just saying price reduced, but not showing what it was reduced from is pointless.   Not that someone's $25 reduction on a $500 book is going to close many sales, but it allows us to perceive that a deal is to be had.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Does it drive anybody else completely insane when sellers edit out the prices when a book is sold?  What's the point of deleting the price?  Even if it sold per PM for less, at least the price is probably a ballpark figure of where it ended. 

I could not agree more with you. I never do that.

1. No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

Ive been wondering about this rule, yet I see alot of single book (or 2) threads and when its sold (and sometimes even when its not sold), another thread is started. There have been times where I have seen 2 or 3 threads from the same seller on the front page. 

10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I keep the prices in so I can go back months/years later and beat my self up for selling a book so cheaply...

I've occasionally run a google search for a super scarce GA book, hoping against hope to find a copy somewhere, and found that the only hit that comes up is....... me, selling that book on the boards for peanuts five years ago.  :facepalm:

18 hours ago, CCComics said:
  1. No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

Ive been wondering about this rule, yet I see alot of single book (or 2) threads and when its sold (and sometimes even when its not sold), another thread is started. There have been times where I have seen 2 or 3 threads from the same seller on the front page. 

Once in a while I will do this. I think as long as the old sale is marked closed it’s not an issue. 

Its easier to keep track for me one sale thread at a time.