• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Was there a fight last night in Dale's sales thread?  Dale made a comment this morning that sounds like someone was critical of his prices, maybe?

29 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Was there a fight last night in Dale's sales thread?  Dale made a comment this morning that sounds like someone was critical of his prices, maybe?

Yes. Someone came in and said something like "wow, gpa prices minus 5% for raw books? And no back covers and people cannot jump on them fast enough to even look them over!" Plus he mentioned his page wouldn't load due to all the :takeit:s. Did the thread get a cleansing? Many boardies came to his defense, stated they were always happy with purchases from Dale and that the guy was threadkrapping.

28 minutes ago, Gsims718 said:

Posted in the probation discussion and now here.  I won’t be able to add them to the probation list, but this is 1P36DSA on the boards.  Proceed at your own risk.

8A88323A-BCF0-4DE1-B3A0-ADED97F27E2F.jpeg

now on ignore. I never had an issue with him but this is egregious behavior!

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yes. Someone came in and said something like "wow, gpa prices minus 5% for raw books? And no back covers and people cannot jump on them fast enough to even look them over!" Plus he mentioned his page wouldn't load due to all the :takeit:s. Did the thread get a cleansing? Many boardies came to his defense, stated they were always happy with purchases from Dale and that the guy was threadkrapping.

I do agree it can be a bit maddening for new people to see all the action Dale gets in his sales thread but people have to remember people on the boards do not just throw money around like that without a lot of past great purchases for them to buy in a blink of the eye.  I do think people get a little carried away sometimes but it's easy to do in the rush of a popular sales thread.  I think Dale does this full time and he does it well.

35 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Not sure this is true.

Why is that?  You think board members are pulling out their wallets in a heartbeat?  Give the same batch of books (priced the same) to a noob and a few may sell but nowhere close to the number dale is selling. 

14 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
20 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Why is that?  You think board members are pulling out their wallets in a heartbeat?  

Yes. In fact, there is no doubt in my mind.

Double in fact, I believe wholeheartedly that people are buying in that thread simply to be part of the frenzy.

Triple in fact, we discussed this exact thing last year and some buyers chimed in this thread to confirm they purchased items without much forethought just to be part of the action.

Human psychology is a funny thing.

I agree, I think to some extent people want to be part of the frenzy.  Of course there are other factors that have led to this point - well known dealer, good friendly service, good communication, big selection (which means good rates for combined shipping), accurate consistent grading.  And now, people get some satisfaction for being a part of the big sale, and satisfaction from buying the comics they think everyone else wants to buy, and then it spirals.

I myself have bought books to see what the fuss was about, and I got.... books at a reasonable price (not especially great, but certainly fair) that were accurately graded.  Not undergraded or anything, nothing I was going to flip for huge profits.  But in a world like this, consistency and hype counts for a lot.  Like the McRib.  If you see something you want for your personal collection or that you want for your wall display purposes (but little profit), you may as well buy from Dale I think.  I think the chances of being unsatisfied are low.

Edited by revat

45 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Yes. In fact, there is no doubt in my mind.

Double in fact, I believe wholeheartedly that people are buying in that thread simply to be part of the frenzy.

Triple in fact, we discussed this exact thing last year and some buyers chimed in this thread to confirm they purchased items without much forethought just to be part of the action.

Human psychology is a funny thing.

I agree as in the past I have asked potential buyers who were not the first Ill take it if they would like to buy the same book from me at a lesser price since they missed out. Most say no thatnks that they just got caught up in the moment.

1 hour ago, faster friends said:

I agree as in the past I have asked potential buyers who were not the first Ill take it if they would like to buy the same book from me at a lesser price since they missed out. Most say no thatnks that they just got caught up in the moment.

I actually posted in Dale's thread about the threadcapping comment.  I didn't buy anything but I could see folks eager to grab a book in the excitement.  I do think Dale grades conservatively and he is organized with great attentiveness and service.  Even with the quick fingers of some folks, my comment in the thread is that Dale was not holding a gun to the buyer's head.  Some folks may need to practice self-control but Dale did nothing wrong (and I am not saying that someone here has said or implied that).  I have become caught in an auction before for a book I really want and found myself bidding more (too much).

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Not really. 

A guy with 27 posts came and said " I don't get it. People are buying books so fast they can't see them. etc". About 10 people came to my defense saying my prices were good and grading conservative, and there was a long track record of people who were happy with what they bought every year". I never said anything other than they were welcome to discuss, but to do so elsewhere.  I reported the post as thread crapping and the mods removed it. No biggie at all. 

On 12/15/2018 at 12:12 PM, Bird said:

Thanks. Today is a week so I thought I should seek the advice. The PM deadline was considered but he isn't reading the PMs, at least not while on the boards (I know you can see them on your phone, or at least short ones).

if it was a different time of year I might start woreying, but between college/school finals, trabel, holidays, and end of year stuff its at least concievable that someone has taken themselves offline for a week or so (granted if I was about to go offline Id give a headsup to anyone who I was mid- transaction with)

9 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

Not really. 

A guy with 27 posts came and said " I don't get it. People are buying books so fast they can't see them. etc". About 10 people came to my defense saying my prices were good and grading conservative, and there was a long track record of people who were happy with what they bought every year". I never said anything other than they were welcome to discuss, but to do so elsewhere.  I reported the post as thread crapping and the mods removed it. No biggie at all. 

if you dont know dales threads they do seem a bit crazy in comparison to every other thread that moves at a far slower pace... but yeah, a conversation for elsewhere (also when I was a new guy the rule was watch first, talk second, but hey kids these days... ;)

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

if you dont know dales threads they do seem a bit crazy in comparison to every other thread that moves at a far slower pace... but yeah, a conversation for elsewhere (also when I was a new guy the rule was watch first, talk second, but hey kids these days... ;)

Hey, we were all newbies once.  It really was no  big deal. 

3 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

Towards the end of my time selling on the boards actively here people asked similar questions.  They wondered how or why my books sold so quickly.  Admittedly, there were some tremendous deals in my threads, while other stuff was probably closer to market.  There is a psychology to how you do these threads, how you market them etc.  Dale does a good job at it.  There's definitely a blue print.  October (Andy) and I were doing it before Dale, and before we did it, Nik (who some of you will remember) and Nick Beckett did it.  Two key components are putting up some hot/key books and being willing to not max out and to give deals.  That helps sell your other books.  That sentiment is somewhat gone from many of today's sellers here.  I don't blame them but it's a frenzy when you think you might get a WWBN 32 for 25% off but you don't know what book is coming next.  Dale is also the only guy on here where there is a true frenzy anymore, except when October comes back on and does one of his sales.  It's an annual tradition and he's grading fairly and accurately on raw stuff -- listing a huge amount all at once.  

Yes, definitely strategy and that is where it gets crazy. Post some non keys and pause. Then hit with a big key and machine gun post other keys while everyone fights over them like seagulls.