• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bird said:

well, the mods operate in mysterious ways here and their methods are unknown to us mortals. But it WILL get the thread pulled if someone complains, especially multiple books. Moderns in GSB for sure won't fly.

(I am just chiming in here, I got no horse in this race.)

Whether a thread gets pulled (or the speed at which it gets pulled) is directly proportional to who the Seller is.

2 hours ago, Dale Roberts said:
2 hours ago, Bird said:

There is no hard and fast date but generally 1984 I think.

OK, will try to adhere to that. If it is going to be a rule which causes posts to be moved, probably should be a hard and fast date for it.

Valid point. Whatever the date is, it matters less than having one consistent date, otherwise it just undermines the legitimacy of the rule. I do believe it is important to have these separate sales forums, but it complicates enforcement when you cannot advise a person with any certainty what they should be doing. 

Rule 3 is worded "List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely." 

It is reasonable I think to ask Admin to define the dates for the "appropriate sub-forum", as this appears to be the only actual reference to the rule. How do we know what is the appropriate sub-forum? If Admin has already decided this practically, than it should be posted publicly with the rules. 2c

3 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

Whether a thread gets pulled (or the speed at which it gets pulled) is directly proportional to who the Seller is.

That really shouldn’t matter.  1 post of 100k posts, the rules should apply evenly across the board.  If Dale violates them (and he has), his thread should be subject to the same punishments as every one before him.  

6 hours ago, Dale Roberts said:

Sorry, didn't really know it was an issue. I won't post anymore books from that time period. If you want me to remove the ones still available, I will do so. 

I'm surprised you didn't know, wasn't there an issue a few years ago? I could have sworn you were posting about it and you were pretty upset? Anyway, it's easy to just hide the posts.  That way nothing gets messed up.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm surprised you didn't know, wasn't there an issue a few years ago? I could have sworn you were posting about it and you were pretty upset? Anyway, it's easy to just hide the posts.  That way nothing gets messed up.

Already deleted them.

3 hours ago, crassus said:

Valid point. Whatever the date is, it matters less than having one consistent date, otherwise it just undermines the legitimacy of the rule. I do believe it is important to have these separate sales forums, but it complicates enforcement when you cannot advise a person with any certainty what they should be doing. 

Rule 3 is worded "List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely." 

It is reasonable I think to ask Admin to define the dates for the "appropriate sub-forum", as this appears to be the only actual reference to the rule. How do we know what is the appropriate sub-forum? If Admin has already decided this practically, than it should be posted publicly with the rules. 2c

I don't think there is a mystery. We always in the past went by the eBay dates. Now mind you that was before dealers were allowed to sell here. There was actually less controversy then. The selling forum was not set up for professionals, just collectors. 

So I suppose people were not as worried. Here are the dates eBay posts.

2 minutes ago, october said:

There seems to be bit of a sour grapes undercurrent to recent comments in this thread.

Dale isn't casting magic spells here, the secret to running a successful thread is having a lot of desirable books, grading them accurately and pricing them well. That's it. 

If a seller's thread is a bust it's also no secret why. Either your books aren't in demand, your prices are too high, or your grading is inaccurate. Do better.

Totally agree. 

That still has nothing to do with frenzy behavior. 

It's interesting, is all. No need for the haughtiness. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Totally agree. 

That still has nothing to do with frenzy behavior. 

It's interesting, is all. No need for the haughtiness. 

It has everything to do with it. Dale has run this thread every year. People see desirable, accurately graded books that are priced well. It attracts a lot of buyers who compete. Plenty of other sellers have followed the same model.

What else would it be? Luck?

Edited by october

20 minutes ago, october said:

There seems to be bit of a sour grapes undercurrent to recent comments in this thread.

Dale isn't casting magic spells here, the secret to running a successful thread is having a lot of desirable books, grading them accurately and pricing them well. That's it. 

If a seller's thread is a bust it's also no secret why. Either your books aren't in demand, your prices are too high, or your grading is inaccurate. Do better.

This.  What Dale does on his annual holiday thread is really not different to what he does at conventions -- or on his web site.  His table/wall area at shows usually has plenty of traffic, in contrast to some other dealer areas that are just dead because books area terribly over-priced or are graded terribly -- or both.  Price reasonably and grade correctly and people come back, again and again.

Also, Dale's thread has become a tradition.  Something like 4 consecutive years running?  Plenty of potential buyers, even if they can't "F5" fast enough, have tons of fun.  I got beat plenty on night 1 because I wasn't able to get to a desktop and had to use my phone.  That's my problem.  Still, it was like being a kid in a candy store.

Edited by zosocane

2 minutes ago, october said:

Yeah, FOMO is real, but if you don't have the goods it won't work...and definitely not year after year.

I don't disagree. What Dale does he does very well, and I find his threads entertaining. I also find the discussion generated by his threads entertaining.