• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, crassus said:

Its interesting to compare the two issues, as price is in some ways looser and more "it is what it is" than grading, where in theory there is supposed to be some broad guidelines for what is VG vs. F vs VF etc....I agree the grading is more serious, since there is an element of "due diligence" to taking care to grade carefully and accurately, whereas price is more a mix of impulse, opportunity and circumstances. A seller's grading could be tight but still wildly overpriced, equally on another occasion they could be desperate for cash and underpricing it to move, but either way it means nothing if you have no confidence in the grading. 

I agree, Robert.  I was more commenting on making posts within a seller's thread regarding the pricing of an item(s).  The grading issue was just my personal pet peeve and is often obtrusively obvious.  In some cases, a seller may welcome advice on grading and even lead to posting in the PGM thread to get comments.  As we all know, grading is subjective.  I kind of like just when someone lists all of the detected flaws with pics/scans and doesn't assign a grade so the buyer can make their own assessment. 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

This brings up an interesting point. Sometimes I think the slab grades are a bit optimistic. Have you ever seen anyone mention that? I know we have sales posts all the time indicating that the slab grade is too low, but mistakes do work both ways.

Oh I agree here as well.  Even with slabs, grading is subjective and I do think you should always buy the book, not the label.  You do bring up a something else that frustrates me, Sha.  When someone does add on a slabbed books, things like should have been, graded too low, looks like, etc.  

There was someone who did sell here who posted the book was overgraded.  I think it was Nick in the UK (owner of comicana) - I don't see him posting here any longer but I believe he did that.

Edited by telerites

These type threads drive me crazy...

They say they want to trade, but what they really want is to not do the work of selling a collection. They want to flip 1000+ books for two very liquid, easy to sell keys. They want 90 cents on the dollar but think mbthey are offering a "deal" to some dealer who can make money on it. Obvlivious to the time it takes to sell that kind of mid-grade volume, oblivious to the carrying costs, and obvlivious to the manpower it requires to schlep it from show to show...

Replying to Miraclemet

Evidently you didn’t read my OP...it mentions local pick up in Dallas/Ft Worth...also it mentions that I know a lot of work will have to be done...if the post is breaking the rules please let me know...i expected if anyone is serious they will PM me and ask for additional pics if not I’ll just keep it...have had most of this collection well over thirty years...what’s another 30?...also, I’m a pretty strict grader and I would say conservatively 18-20k is the floor if sold piece by piece...it may be an opportunity for someone...by the way I have slabbed high grade copies of everything I’m asking for except the Thor...

Edited by JTD

25 minutes ago, JTD said:

Replying to Miraclemet

Evidently you didn’t read my OP...it mentions local pick up in Dallas/Ft Worth...also it mentions that I know a lot of work will have to be done...if the post is breaking the rules please let me know...i expected if anyone is serious they will PM me and ask for additional pics if not I’ll just keep it...have had most of this collection well over thirty years...what’s another 30?...also, I’m a pretty strict grader and I would say conservatively 18-20k is the floor if sold piece by piece...it may be an opportunity for someone...by the way I have slabbed high grade copies of everything I’m asking for except the Thor...

sorry i missed the sentence in the middle of your post about being in DFW and about pickup.

Your post, and all others like this violates rule 6 of the marketplace, which I guess you "evidently didnt read". Rule 6 states:

"It must list specific books with purchase prices"

So to offer up a collection you need to specify what's in the collection, which you dont. 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, skypinkblu said:

... people can ask what they want and pay what they want, but I've seen a few really nice people and avid collectors get burn out  once they found that people were basically taking advantage of them. My concern relates to those kinds of members, I think it harms the hobby if they are fleeced, tricked, too naive? pick a better term, I don't drink coffee, so I have no excuse;) .

I'm one of those collectors. I'm just really burned out. Fun books with average covers that are just good reads are now going for prices that would have been unthinkable even two years ago. For me, the fun has been drained out of the hobby. I still buy cheap reads when I can(ie, the kind of books Sharon sells), but it's not the same anymore.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

Oh I agree here as well.  Even with slabs, grading is subjective and I do think you should always buy the book, not the label.  You do bring up a something else that frustrates me, Sha.  When someone does add on a slabbed books, things like should have been, graded too low, looks like, etc.  

There was someone who did sell here who posted the book was overgraded.  I think it was Nick in the UK (owner of comicana) - I don't see him posting here any longer but I believe he did that.

Nick (Flamingtelepath)  is one of the strictest graders on earth...and a great guy.

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Nick (Flamingtelepath)  is one of the strictest graders on earth...and a great guy.

Yes he is.  I bought my AF 15 from him several years ago.  One of his inadvertently sent my AF 15 to someone else and I got that person's package which to put it mildly wasn't as valuable as mine.  Nick repeatedly assured everything would be taken care and assuaged my worries.  Needles to say, I got my book.  One of the best in the business and I would buy from him any time.  I am not sure if Paul @Ken Aldred still helps Nick at his shop or not but both are great guys.  Paul still is active member.

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

funny how people always think their book is under graded and never over graded.....

also how people forget that all you can see of a slab is the cover and the grade is for the whole book...

lots of people just grade by the front cover though and that's all they show. how about the back, the centerfold, splash page, tears, any " unseen " defects , they all add up.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Yes he is.  I bought my AF 15 from him several years ago.  One of his inadvertently sent my AF 15 to someone else and I got that person's package which to put it mildly wasn't as valuable as mine.  Nick repeatedly assured everything would be taken care and assuaged my worries.  Needles to say, I got my book.  One of the best in the business and I would buy from him any time.  I am not sure if Paul @Ken Aldred still helps Nick at his shop or not but both are great guys.  Paul still is active member.

I’ve only ever been a customer of Comicana Direct, Jeff. 

Hope all’s well. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, telerites said:
2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I dealt with Nick several times, and had many conversations with him. Just an A+ dealer and all around good guy.

So how long of a sales thread is too long? I am starting to wonder...how many pages will you look through before checking out? My limit is not too many, maybe 4 or so but here I am throwing everything but the kitchen sink on one thread and planning on doing it again soon in the other forum. 

2 hours ago, Bird said:

So how long of a sales thread is too long? I am starting to wonder...how many pages will you look through before checking out? My limit is not too many, maybe 4 or so but here I am throwing everything but the kitchen sink on one thread and planning on doing it again soon in the other forum. 

The more pages, the more recaps I need.  One every 4 or 5 or 6 pages works well, depending how many books are left on those past pages. 

4 hours ago, Bird said:

As long as the material is holding my interest, I'll look through 400 pages.  I don't care really.  The big thing for me is sellers marking things SOLD when somebody claims a book.  It's more work, but it sure helps me as a prospective buyer.

2 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

The more pages, the more recaps I need.  One every 4 or 5 or 6 pages works well, depending how many books are left on those past pages. 

I hate doing recaps!

8 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

As long as the material is holding my interest, I'll look through 400 pages.  I don't care really.  The big thing for me is sellers marking things SOLD when somebody claims a book.  It's more work, but it sure helps me as a prospective buyer.

It isn't work for me, I don't get that many :takeit:s!!!

Thanks for the opinions!

On the long threads, I stop at about 2 pages.  I like it when sellers list all the books/prices in the first or second post, in which case I'm happy to continue on page after page looking for the image.

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

The big thing for me is sellers marking things SOLD when somebody claims a book.  It's more work, but it sure helps me as a prospective buyer.

this, it saves tons of time and messaging and keeps things in order.

6 hours ago, Bird said:

I love recaps on the first page (as long as they updated in a timely manner).  I see when some post they reserve the second slot for recaps.  I hate going through when someone posts something like 10% everything that is left and I have to go through pages upon pages to review which I don't do. 

4 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:
7 hours ago, Bird said:

Try keeping your recap in the first or second post of your thread, that way it's always easy to find and helps navigate long threads. 2c