• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Question to the boardies:

The recent debate in the WTB forum about buyers posting their offer price seems to be settled for now.

I took a stance on that, but I am very sympathetic to those who waste a lot of time on low ballers.

To combat this and alert others I have taken to posting the book in thread with asking price. When the OP flakes and never responds it alerts others who think the asking price is fair to consider if they want to waste their time.

My question is : If I get a response from someone other than the poster by PM, am I obligated to wait for a response from the OP? How long is a reasonable period to wait?

Edited by NP_Gresham

7 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

The recent debate in the WTB forum about buyers posting their offer price seems to be settled for now.

I took a stance on that, but I am very sympathetic to those who waste a lot of time on low ballers.

To combat this and alert others I have taken to posting the book in thread with asking price. When the OP flakes and never responds it alerts others who think the asking price is fair to consider if they want to waste their time.

My question is : If I get a response from someone other than the poster by PM, am I obligated to wait for a response from the OP? How long is a reasonable period to wait?

I would say you have no obligations but you could consider when you post in the want to buy thread saying this is good for 24 hours after that anyone can have it

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

I recently bought a book that someone responding to another’s WTB post put up.

I did say that if the other boardie was interested I didn’t want to poach the book from him.  The seller said he had not heard from the other potential buyer and was fine selling it to me.  I think it was about 48hrs that had elapsed.

if you feel the need just shoot a note to the OP that someone else is interested and you’re going to sell the book in x hours if you don’t hear back.

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

I don't see offering a book on a WTB thread as a confirmed deal.  He may not like the grade, or price, or shipping cost, or page quality, or not like it for some other reason.  But just to be friendly, I'd give the guy a day or two to respond.  I can see a lot of butt-hurt if you got an offer higher than your asking price.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, thehumantorch said:
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I don't see offering a book on a WTB thread as a confirmed deal.  He may not like the grade, or price, or shipping cost, or page quality, or not like it for some other reason.  But just to be friendly, I'd give the guy a day or two to respond.  I can see a lot of butt-hurt if you got an offer higher than your asking price.

….. I would consider it like posting a book in a sales thread …. until it's claimed it's available..... although I might be inclined to give the WTB poster a chance to log on and reply....within reason of course. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

20 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Sometimes I do dramatic readings of sales thread titles. My wife doesn't appreciate it, so I encourage you gonna to try it out yourself. Makes sure to read them aloud, dramatically.

That's funny as that is how I imagine it when I write my own. Glad I'm not the only one.