• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Roger66 said:

To argue against the current market is like trying to clap with one hand tied behind your back.  My 2-cents. :preach:

I agree from the standpoint that nobody is listening when you caution against hyperinflation.  Same thing happened 15 years ago with housing. Too many people were echoing the insane temperature of the market, and how it was sustainable, flying in the face of all logic. 

To me, it's extremely simple to assert that current values of comics are unsustainable. Look at their current levels vs a mortgage and cost of living. Add that to what is coming straight towards us, (record unemployment, stock market hyperinflation, devalued currency, and record foreclosure rates) and BINGO. Common sense and logic should prevail. 

8 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

I agree from the standpoint that nobody is listening when you caution against hyperinflation.  Same thing happened 15 years ago with housing. Too many people were echoing the insane temperature of the market, and how it was sustainable, flying in the face of all logic. 

To me, it's extremely simple to assert that current values of comics are unsustainable. Look at their current levels vs a mortgage and cost of living. Add that to what is coming straight towards us, (record unemployment, stock market hyperinflation, devalued currency, and record foreclosure rates) and BINGO. Common sense and logic should prevail. 

I agree but tell that to the numerous individuals bidding up KEYS to incredible highs at all our favorite auctions houses or the online peanut gallery, who make inane droning comments after sales like "wow that was a steal!" or ''dang I knew that wouldn't last long"  or the ever constant "that was a great price!" all of which reinforces the current market.  Truth be told we can all make predictions but only time will tell who was right and who was wrong. All I can say is keep on bidding and let's ride the gravy train.  My 2-cents. :preach:

On 2/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, PKJ said:

I am sure the sellers move to another venue, although usually here if the price is fair it will move in minutes. I sold a couple of GA Tec's this month and they sold in 20 minutes.

I do not find the buyers here as caught up in the hype books like on FB or other groups (although there are times where it happens). I jump on a few live auctions just to see if any off the radar items come up and sellers seem to get mad if you aren't bidding up the flavor of the month or when they ask what you would like to see and you mention non key or hot books, not worth their time and will almost state that directly. I think it has been discussed ad nauseum that sellers see the grade sell for a certain price, then take that price and bump it to what they deem is the new market price. Meanwhile the comp book was a white pager with no chipping, or nicely presented and they are putting a C/ow book with poor registration at that high price.

... and you forgot, when they come here, they assume they've found the mythical Kingdom of Dumb-arses, where all the GPA records are set, and price their item to the Moon. When their book doesn't sell in seconds they boldly state they're moving to other venues, neglecting to mention that their item is ALREADY listed there.... They say ignorance is bliss, why am I not happier ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I know some folks are a fan of trading books and have done it successfully many times...... but man, the current BuscemasAvengers/TopCity situation (see Probation forum) *exactly* embodies my worst fears about trading. Once something goes wrong, it's very hard to undo a situation where one party is happy and the other isn't. Even establishing what a mutually acceptable solution looks like (as opposed to a straight refund or return solution) can be a real challenge.

well, something going wrong in this case is selling the book twice apparently...trading is no different than selling except you both ship at the same time...but trust in the other person is required and if they are trading 2 books and sending one without comment it is more a person problem than a trading problem

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

well, something going wrong in this case is selling the book twice apparently...trading is no different than selling except you both ship at the same time...but trust in the other person is required and if they are trading 2 books and sending one without comment it is more a person problem than a trading problem

,,, either this, or the person who requests the trade ships first ... that's how we used to do it. GOD BLESS,,,,

23 minutes ago, Bird said:

Sure, but it seems like because it was a trade they've had complications on top of the original blunder, where they can't settle on a quick way to resolve it. There's no longer a way to make the exact original deal happen, but one party has also nixed a full return because they were happy with the one book they got.

A trade can also go south because of a problem with a book received (i.e. it has resto, it's missing a centerfold, etc) and then you've got the same problem, where the parties may not agree on how to fix it because one's satisfied and one's not. As you've reasonably said, trust is key, but it seems like for a trade the bar has to be set even higher.

I will add that if it isn’t for @Point Fivei wouldn’t have been aware of the nonsense he was referring to since things get hidden/lost in the marketplace forum from daily views 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I will add that if it isn’t for @Point Fivei wouldn’t have been aware of the nonsense he was referring to since things get hidden/lost in the marketplace forum from daily views 

I always forget about the Probation forum myself and have to go back and binge the previous season. Just caught up on the Rick Starr thread this week; I don't know how I missed it being there since October! That was hugely disappointing as well.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

It's not so much the threadcrapping.   It's not fair to all the other sellers if one thread is continually bumped to the top of the page while no books are being listed.  If this behavior continues, we might have to look into adding a new rule.  

It's a community first, right? One man's crapping is another's bantering.

Nobody pays anything to sell here; what exactly is the standard of fairness a seller is entitled to?  To be as popular as everyone else?  Imo, should have a pretty good reason before adopting new regs.  Even if we lay this at the seller's feet (who might be completely innocent, or just more liberal in their attitude about bantering/threadcraps), there are many ways for seller itself to covertly 'bump' a thread- add a krappy freebie, add a note re: a book listed for sale, and more innocent or benign ways as well.

It seems that some folks believe having their listing at the top is important to making a sale. I've learned over the years that when I list overpriced items that have marginal interest that they usually won't sell.... even if they were to be stickied to the top. Some folks obviously never got belt whippings when they were children ,,, and it shows. GOD BLESS..

I should add that I doubt another rule will ever be added to reflect on this.  I  do believe a few threads have gone too far with the off topic postings.  When I looked at the list of threads last night.  The one linked above was the only one with this type of behavior.  I can only hope a fine line will be drawn to keep the selling forum fun, and respect other sellers and potential buyers, who are not as amused as the handful of people that enjoy the off topic postings are in the FS section.