• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all of the exclusive creator/talent signing deals...
4 4

252 posts in this topic

A list would be helpful..I cant keep track

This Exclusive signing deals at cons have totally ruined the SS community for me...if you set up a  one shot private signing off the Con floor no problem.  But if you are bobby the brain heenan and keep a exclusive stable of talent that is damaging to the overall world of SS.

The actions of some facilitators blows my mind... but hey its not a hobby/ love to most any more.  Not to mention some of the egos Facilitators have are even more insane... but when you break it down its still a sharpie on a funny book. For the noobs these facilitators are not creating miracles just throwing the most $ at talent to "lock them into the stable". 

I have been around for 7 years and the landscape of SS has changed for the worst IMO.. CGC and a handful of facilitators that have been around longer then me are still keeping the true love of SS going while making $. Can not say the same for the newer blood.

Done with

rantrant

Edited by dhurley

9 minutes ago, dhurley said:

A list would be helpful..I cant keep track

This Exclusive signing deals at cons have totally ruined the SS community for me...if you set up a  one shot private signing off the Con floor no problem.  But if you are bobby the brain heenan and keep a exclusive stable of talent that is damaging to the overall world of SS.

The actions of some facilitators blows my mind... but hey its not a hobby/ love to most any more.  Not to mention some of the egos Facilitators have are even more insane... but when you break it down its still a sharpie on a funny book. For the noobs these facilitators are not creating miracles just throwing the most $ at talent to "lock them into the stable". 

I have been around for 7 years and the landscape of SS has changed for the worst IMO.. CGC and a handful of facilitators that have been around longer then me are still keeping the true love of SS going while making $. Can not say the same for the newer blood.

Done with

rantrant

:golfclap::applause:

Edited by Par2ch

Soooooo.... What's the consensus among facilitators & SS customers about this "stable talent" ? It seems to me all it is a facilitator convincing an artist to let he/she rep/facilitate them to line their pockets with more money. I can't really see any of these artists keeping their per sig price the same after signing a "exclusive" with a facilitator - the person benefitting is the facilitator.

Personally, I think if you're the rep of an artist you shouldn't be the exclusive facilitator for the artist. Seems like a conflict of an interest. This was brought up by a major Facilitator recently and I tend to agree.

13 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Personally, I think if you're the rep of an artist you shouldn't be the exclusive facilitator for the artist. Seems like a conflict of an interest. This was brought up by a major Facilitator recently and I tend to agree.

I agree 100% with this 

BTW - what's the deal with all the pre-sales being done here in the sig room and via massive PM threads I've been hearing about? - I understand if you have sig/sketch opp but why are con exclusives/upcoming stuff being sold so openly here as opposed to the Sales Marketplace - I'm seeing blue labels and raws being sold here as well before shows. Seems to me I need to start throwing up sales here in the Sig Room if people are being allowed to skirt the marketplace rules. Only fair.

There are 2 things that really bug me about all this lately. 

1 being prices,  I'm just not sure how facilitators can justify some of these insanely high prices, especially if you have a private signing set up. I'll use J Scott Campbell as an example. Iv'e seen some pre sale and pm threads charging upwards of 225 for a campbell signed book. Where are you pulling that number from? 

A good friend of mine recently attended ECCC and was able to get me a sweet Elektra JSC exclusive signed and graded. Book cost 40 (With the signature!) grading was $30 and shipping to my door was $30. I'm 100$ all in for a book that some guys are charging double for. I understand you're in this to make money, but do you really have to bend me over in the process??

2) When pre selling celebrity signed books, Charging up front and not being honest or upfront about when the signing actually is. Why do you need my money today when the signing is 4 or 5 months away? Im more than happy to pay up front but be honest about when the signing is and let me know why you need my money 5 months ahead of time! I also know for a fact most facilitators, contrary to popular belief, DO NOT have to wait in hour long line ups for these celebs. iv'e seen first hand them flashing an ill gotten dealer or VIP badge and cutting these lines (You know who you are! It's all about backroom handshakes and politics at these shows). So charging 500$ for a sig that actually costs $60 because you have to wait in line is crazy and dishonest. Please stop the price gouging!

I'm at the point where i'm done with facilitators, I attend enough shows that i'll just get my own damn signatures.

I will say having made some recent commitments to some large (IMO) celebrity books, that for those of who live in areas where these celebs never attend, or don't have the time, knowledge or information to coordinate it on our own, it is nice having someone you can trust to get a book done. Yes there is an expense for that, and in some cases that expense is not worth it, but if we want something bad enough and we don't have any other choices what else can we do? Yes paying double is ridiculous, and more often then not WE don't know the true cost so you have to just go with it...

23 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:

I will say having made some recent commitments to some large (IMO) celebrity books, that for those of who live in areas where these celebs never attend, or don't have the time, knowledge or information to coordinate it on our own, it is nice having someone you can trust to get a book done. Yes there is an expense for that, and in some cases that expense is not worth it, but if we want something bad enough and we don't have any other choices what else can we do? Yes paying double is ridiculous, and more often then not WE don't know the true cost so you have to just go with it...

Back before facilitators stabled talent you could ask around the boards for help and people where willing to help and get this........ for free or some extra paypal thrown in for a beer after the show -- I know crazy!!.

I know I dont offer help anymore because I would have to deal with certain facilitators I choose not to give business to. I work with a very select few who I consider friends and have hung out with after the show. 

I also understand these guys need to make money but some of the prices are out of this world compared to what the cost actually is ...some guys are successful with out the crazy amount of greed I see now a

days.

Edited by dhurley

27 minutes ago, Dwitkin82 said:

I'm not sure why "true cost" enters into it.  Do you research the "true cost" of a $50 steak or a $45,000 roadster?  These are luxury items, and it is either worth your discretionary spending dollars or it isn't.  I have paid anywhere between $175 and $350 on numerous occasions for books with free signatures. Why? Because I wanted it, and I wasn't able to get it done myself.  Did I get "bent over?"  No more so than the last time I went to Ruth's Chris.

1 minute ago, dhurley said:

Back before facilitators stabled talent you could ask around the boards for help and people where willing to help and get this for free or some extra paypal for a beer after the show -- I know crazy!!.

I know I dont offer help anymore because I would have to deal with certain facilitators I choose not to give business to. I work with a very select few who I consider friends and have hung out with after the show. 

You can't afford my bar tab  ::martini:

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

I'm not sure why "true cost" enters into it.  Do you research the "true cost" of a $50 steak or a $45,000 roadster?  These are luxury items, and it is either worth your discretionary spending dollars or it isn't.  I have paid anywhere between $175 and $350 on numerous occasions for books with free signatures. Why? Because I wanted it, and I wasn't able to get it done myself.  Did I get "bent over?"  No more so than the last time I went to Ruth's Chris.

shut up noob :p