• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all of the exclusive creator/talent signing deals...
4 4

252 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I just miswrote just simply trying to point out not every facilitator is with a book when it gets signed and sometimes it is just the witness. It may be nice to have both facilitator and witness there just sometimes it is not feasible. Celestial Comics is the perfect example to where they rep artists and send witnesses out to get items signed.

I can't even tease out what you're claiming to have said originally.  I still want to know who is doing it the way you described and at which show you saw it happen.  

3 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's called quality control as long as you prep the book ahead of time with great instructions on your end the submitter like windowboxing, sending a marker with submission for correct color, and send a picture of the comic is slabbed where you want it signed then the facilitator can prep the comic for you and give the instructions to the witness. If it is an item getting signed then send a picture of the item and circle the area you want signed leave instructions. A good facilitator can keep control this way without having to be there.

Reddwarf thank you for explaining how to prep a book and in detail how to communicate with my facilitator on getting my books signed. 

When I send my books for a signing I hold 1 person accountable for those books until turned over to CGC. That is the trust you build up with a facilitator, knowing they will treat those books like they owned them. Rich Henn is a great example of a facilitator owning the responsibility and condition of those books! You never see Rich sitting behind a desk asking for witnesses to take his clients books out to be signed. Accidents can happen to anyone however can you imagine a facilitator giving your books to someone else and they end up damaged? Who then is responsible?

CGC clearly defines what is expected from a facilitator and a witness and who is to be present when those books are getting signed.

these checks and balances are there to keep the integrity of the SS system. Make all the money you want just do it within the rules.

Dre being a troll is a joke! Surely you can understand the rules set in place and why CGC has set it up this way. We all have a love for comics or this conversation wouldn't be happening. 

I think we are still waiting for the facilitators who see you allowing witnesses to take book while they are attending to other business?

With the exclusive deals that SS facilitators have signed up creators it has impacted on the fans in other ways.

Fan has his comic that he wants to get signed, he meets said creator at a signing gets his comic signed for free, and there happens to be a witness there who says, hey would you like that graded. NO HE CANT AS ALL CGC COMICS MUST BE AT SPECIAL SIGNINGS ONLY. So said fan cannot go a meet this creator have his comic signed and graded.

I understand the need for more private signings to deal with the dealers and bulk signings, also what happens if one facilitator doesnt like another, then you will never be able to offer your customers that particular creator.

What about personalised comics, those are for fans so why should they be lumped into the same pot as dealers/retailers/flippers.

Gone are the days of rocking up to creators and getting a free sig or sketch.

15 minutes ago, Evilawd said:

I think we are still waiting for the facilitators who see you allowing witnesses to take book while they are attending to other business?

I think he said that he has seen facilitators having their customers books signed without having a witness present and then accepting it into SS.

Edited by DomRand

8 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

Thought I'd better quote this before it gets changed.  

This part in particular.

Like I said it was a miswrote on my part. Par2ch cleared a misunderstanding on my part and cleared up Beach Bum's misunderstanding that Only witness with book at all times when being signed

These guys need to make a certain amount of money to make profit and make it worth their while to go to a show. So they need to lock up stuff to guarantee profits. You guys are complaining of locking stuff up. Yes you may be paying a lot for a convention exclusive cover, but that is your choice.

Yes some facilitators may charge an actor fee because the wait time can be ridiculous. In the end people are paying these rates still. Until people stop talking with their wallets then it will continue. As far as I am concerned if they can make the money so be it. 

HaHaHa

8 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I said I simply miswrote what I meant. The simple fact is only one person needs to be there and that is the witness when the book gets signed and that is what I meant by only one person needs to be there.

What have here with BeachBum is a dealer who can't stand other facilitators who have found a way to lock up a portion of his income he used to get just because the other facilitators played politics and did their homework to lock things up to guarantee themselves a bigger piece of the pie. All it comes across as is whining and troll like. There is no use crying and worrying over spilled milk. It is just how the industry has evolved he can either accept it, learn, and use this to his advantage moving to lock up stuff himself to profit. He can complain, become a dinosaur, and not change with the industry eventually go out of business. Complaining is just not going to change things and makes you look terrible as a seller.

This is it.  You've clarified that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about since you first started typing in this thread and even if you think that you do, you can't write clearly enough to get it across.  First you "miswrote," then you appear to think that BeachBum sees any of this as a threat to his income which is silly considering how much CGC SS he does compared to the rest of his business.  

BeachBum is one of the best and was here long before you and will still be here when you have found something else to misunderstand.  I buy from him because I know he can grade and that if he says a raw book is a 9.8, it's a 9.8.  I will pay more to him because I know that fact as opposed to saving a buck and hoping for the best with someone else.  He used to do more CGC SS books, as I recall even acting as a facilitator, but changed his focus long before exclusivity became an issue.  I seriously doubt that his interest here has anything to do with lining his pockets.  He has been a steadfast defender of the Signature Series program and CGC in general since he showed up.  He, like most of us that frequent this room, want to see the program and the company continue to succeed.  The practices that you describe and claim to have witnessed hurt all involved: the company, the program, the facilitators that do it right, and the fans and collectors that have invested so much time and money into all of this.  

3 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Like I said it was a miswrote on my part. Par2ch cleared a misunderstanding on my part and cleared up Beach Bum's misunderstanding that Only witness with book at all times when being signed

These guys need to make a certain amount of money to make profit and make it worth their while to go to a show. So they need to lock up stuff to guarantee profits. You guys are complaining of locking stuff up. Yes you may be paying a lot for a convention exclusive cover, but that is your choice.

Yes some facilitators may charge an actor fee because the wait time can be ridiculous. In the end people are paying these rates still. Until people stop talking with their wallets then it will continue. As far as I am concerned if they can make the money so be it. 

HaHaHa

But there is no choice...if I want X creator I need to go through Y facilitator. So they could charge whatever they want for the privilege. And prices have increased tenfold in the last few years.

17 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

A facilitator as long as they are approved by CGC does not always need a witness with them

16 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I'm just saying if I go to such and such show and a facilitator is there. The witness is not always attached to their hip. The facilitator may come over and watch the book get signed or they may send a witness to watch the book get signed. The facilitator may be getting books signed by such and such talent while the witness is getting other books signed by such and such talent.

You said it in two separate posts - stop back peddling. And do your research on me before you call me a troll and a dinosaur.

Edited by BeachBum

2 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

This is it.  You've clarified that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about since you first started typing in this thread and even if you think that you do, you can't write clearly enough to get it across.  First you "miswrote," then you appear to think that BeachBum sees any of this as a threat to his income which is silly considering how much CGC SS he does compared to the rest of his business.  

BeachBum is one of the best and was here long before you and will still be here when you have found something else to misunderstand.  I buy from him because I know he can grade and that if he says a raw book is a 9.8, it's a 9.8.  I will pay more to him because I know that fact as opposed to saving a buck and hoping for the best with someone else.  He used to do more CGC SS books, as I recall even acting as a facilitator, but changed his focus long before exclusivity became an issue.  I seriously doubt that his interest here has anything to do with lining his pockets.  He has been a steadfast defender of the Signature Series program and CGC in general since he showed up.  He, like most of us that frequent this room, want to see the program and the company continue to succeed.  The practices that you describe and claim to have witnessed hurt all involved: the company, the program, the facilitators that do it right, and the fans and collectors that have invested so much time and money into all of this.  

Medic this could not have been said better!

?

7 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

You said it in two separate posts - stop back peddling. And do your research on me before you call me a troll and a dinosaur.

:signfunny:

just the part where you are a troll and a dinosaur.

Edited by DomRand

16 minutes ago, DomRand said:

But there is no choice...if I want X creator I need to go through Y facilitator. So they could charge whatever they want for the privilege. And prices have increased tenfold in the last few years.

I agree they have increased tenfold because people keep paying those rates. Until people stop paying the demanding rates then sure it is going to tarnish it for some people because it is outside their price range. So that person needs to make a choice which route to go with their funds. Myself I don't buy variants because I see them nothing more than a marketing ploy. As far as cost of signatures going up so be it. That is what the market demands. In 4 years conventions as we know them will die down because the average number of times a person goes to a convention is 4 times in a 4 year span and we have hit market saturation of both conventions and films/tv shows on in this genre.

Edited by reddwarf666222

WE havent hit market saturation until every weekend is filled up with comic conventions.

http://www.comicconventions.co.uk/uk-comic-conventions-expos-and-popular-culture-shows-in-2017/

But thats for another debate when we have the guests like Jabba the Huts left arm and Z rated actors.

In the UK we new comic conventions springing up on a daily basis, that have nothing to do with comics.

11 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I agree they have increased tenfold because people keep paying those rates. Until people stop paying the demanding rates then sure it is going to tarnish it for some people because it is outside their price range. So that person needs to make a choice which route to go with their funds. Myself I don't buy variants because I see them nothing more than a marketing ploy. As far as cost of signatures going up so be it. That is what the market demands. In 4 years conventions as we know them will die down because the average number of times a person goes to a convention is 4 times in a 4 year span and we have hit market saturation of both conventions and films/tv shows on in this genre.

But they have no choice, I understand supply and demand. 

For new fans entering the arena and especially kids do you think that they should be made to pay these prices for signatures that creators are charging?

10 minutes ago, DomRand said:

WE havent hit market saturation until every weekend is filled up with comic conventions.

http://www.comicconventions.co.uk/uk-comic-conventions-expos-and-popular-culture-shows-in-2017/

But thats for another debate when we have the guests like Jabba the Huts left arm and Z rated actors.

In the UK we new comic conventions springing up on a daily basis, that have nothing to do with comics.

In Phoenix, AZ we have a science fiction convention of some type close to every weekend in the area. We are even getting an Outlaw Con put on by Outlaw Comics I beg you guys not to send anything to because it is sponsored by Rival facilitating company with years of bad rep. So the people here are tired. Sure Comicon's numbers went up but they paid for television advertising last year for the first time so that saw a dramatic increase.

6 minutes ago, DomRand said:

But they have no choice, I understand supply and demand. 

For new fans entering the arena and especially kids do you think that they should be made to pay these prices for signatures that creators are charging?

As far as kids go. I believe in the Amazing route which is kids day. I run my own small art Expo in an art gallery based on that one day for kids is focused on them to increase the experience for kids. I also push for vendors and artists to do things for kids. Most of them do and in some cases wave their fees.