• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all of the exclusive creator/talent signing deals...
4 4

252 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I saw Turtle, Beach Bum, and June Lockhart do this get comics signed without a witness. No one has the heart to approach June Lockhart and tell she is doing something wrong since she was Lassie's owner on the tv show.

As far as any means necessary that means locking up talent, knowing who to know to get books early, and stuff like that. I don't see it as detrimental to the program when people are paying still. The demand is still there so they are filling a void. Good job guys who do this and are innovative 

wildly_fanciful_statement.

I see Dre at every show I work for CGC - when he needs to do SS books, he goes to the CGC booth and gets a witness just like everyone else.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:00 PM, dscott said:

Thanks for the plug! We are at table P50, P51, P52, P53, P54, P55

we are accepting drop offs for cgc signature series and we have a ton of awesome presigned items.

below are our signing times for people wondering. 

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo  

saturday-

10:30am to 11:30am 

5:00pm to 6:00pm

Sunday-

Tom King 

friday-

4:00pm to 6:00pm 

Saturday-

11:30am to 12:30pm

6:00pm to 7:00pm

Sunday-

1:30pm to 2:30pm

Adam Kubert

Saturday-

Sunday-

1:30pm to 3:30pm

We are also taking drop offs for Stan Lee, and Jim Lee. 

Just wanted to remind everyone stop by DScott's booth great facilitator to work with

On 3/31/2017 at 2:00 PM, dscott said:

Thanks for the plug! We are at table P50, P51, P52, P53, P54, P55

we are accepting drop offs for cgc signature series and we have a ton of awesome presigned items.

below are our signing times for people wondering. 

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo  

saturday-

5:00pm to 6:00pm

Sunday-

Tom King 

friday-

4:00pm to 6:00pm 

Saturday-

11:30am to 12:30pm

Sunday-

Adam Kubert

Saturday-

Sunday-

1:30pm to 3:30pm

We are also taking drop offs for Stan Lee, and Jim Lee. 

If this were a show I was going to I certainly would appreciate the organized schedules and clear access to the creators themselves.

I don't know about you but even though I grew up in the Bronx listening to hip hop, rocking the Triple Fat Goose Down, Kangol & Gazelles, I secretly really enjoyed some Fleetwood Mac

Edited by BeachBum

9 hours ago, BeachBum said:

I don't know about you but even though I grew up in the Bronx listening to hip hop, rocking the Triple Fat Goose Down, Kangol & Gazelles, I secretly really enjoyed some Fleetwood Mac

This is the real Fleetwood Mac, that other band is just some kind of wannabee sell out band

Edited by reddwarf666222

Is there a rule against stabling talent?

Is there a rule against taking money as a facilitator to get your book signed and graded, and taking money again reping the talent that provides the sigs?

If there isn't a 'CGC facilitating' rule against this, what are the perceived ethical complaints?

Assuming that its more than... it will now cost all of us more monies to get said 'talent' to sign our books.

I saw at least one comparison with past problems and DWC, but aren't these issues different than what was seen w/ DesertWind?

Legit questions, there is no sarcasm or dry humor intended in my tone, just curious as to what's at the heart of the issue as it seems a little derailed.

Edited by philsbackpack

On 3/31/2017 at 4:32 PM, dhurley said:

...but as i stated the community / family aspect of the program is no longer here 

This is very true and while talent exclusivity certainly plays into it, there are other factors.  The number of players in general, not just facilitators, have increased dramatically and any time a group grows like this, the sense of community will decrease overall.  I think there are still several of us that are still very old school and we look out for the program and each other. I still enjoy growing my collection but over the last couple of years it has felt more like a job than a hobby most of the time.  I've also had trouble with two (maybe just one with two names?) that have reminded me of just how petty and what a pain in the neck some in this hobby can be.  

On 4/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, BeachBum said:

And by the way, everyone should go back and read this thread from four years ago.

Aah the great DWC call out followed by the first of many CGC protect the cash flow locks.  I should be called piratedomas.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:01 AM, BeachBum said:

And by the way, everyone should go back and read this thread from four years ago.

That was when Paulus and I were staying in the same room, and he nearly destroyed a stack of books I was working on for Kieth. He was pissed at something, and came storming into the room and hit the stack with a bag he was carrying, nearly knocking them over (which, of course, would have meant they were no longer 9.8s or anywhere close.)

I about had a heart attack, and said "hey, HEY, HEY!!" and he turned on me and screeched at me, voce piena, "Don't you EVER yell at me! EVER!!"

Such a class act, that one. 

This exclusive nonsense has got to stop, and only the creators and/or CGC can stop it.

It's bad for the creators, it's bad for CGC, it's bad for anyone trying to make SS work as a business, and it's bad for the fans.

"You want that SS'd? You'll have to go through Company X."

It's funny how, out of all the early SS guys, none of them with the exception of DWC, tried to get creators to be "exclusive."

Then, the second wave of "entrepreneurs" came along, and managed to, at best, mislead creators about who was making the money, and convince them that only they could "represent them" in the slabbing community.

It's got to stop, folks. And you "exclusive guys" had better figure out a way to stop it on your own, or you will slay your "golden goose."

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This exclusive nonsense has got to stop, and only the creators and/or CGC can stop it.

It's bad for the creators, it's bad for CGC, it's bad for anyone trying to make SS work as a business, and it's bad for the fans.

"You want that SS'd? You'll have to go through Company X."

It's funny how, out of all the early SS guys, none of them with the exception of DWC, tried to get creators to be "exclusive."

Then, the second wave of "entrepreneurs" came along, and managed to, at best, mislead creators about who was making the money, and convince them that only they could "represent them" in the slabbing community.

It's got to stop, folks. And you "exclusive guys" had better figure out a way to stop it on your own, or you will slay your "golden goose."

A lot of the early "SS guys" were in it for the love of the hobby.  Talking with any of them made that abundantly clear.  Many of them had ample opportunity to "lock up" talent by using connections but I think they realized that such a thing is bad for the hobby they loved.

This wave of stable-makers intent on obtaining as many exclusive agreements as possible doesn't seem to have the same (any?) regard for the hobby as a whole.  As you said, exclusive agreements are bad for creators, bad for CGC, bad for "SS guys", and bad for fans.  The only winners are these stable-makers. 

Look how many once-passionate collectors have been driven out of the SS market as a result.  The Signature Room used to be a hotbed of fan activity.  The posts following a convention were electric...people were excited to post what they got and people were excited to see the books that came out of a show...but no more.  The Sig Room is a shadow of its former self.  It morphed from a place to share enthusiasm for a hobby to a medium on which to conduct business.  From my experience, people won't voluntarily walk away from a money-maker, no matter how bad it is for everyone around them.  Unless CGC intervenes, the Golden Goose's death is inevitable. 

My passion for SS has been diluted due my latest experience at the Boston Con, where there was visible disdain from creators for anyone who had a CGC witness in tow, along with the increasingly absurd "slab fees" being posted on creator tables. Frankly, it wasn't a fun experience.

ahh...the good ole days....i will say I dont miss Cosimos constant calls/emails about getting stuff signed or sketched by artist or writers making their 1st convention appearance for CGC SS

Edited by Par2ch

6 hours ago, Ryan. said:

6 hours ago, Ryan. said:

My passion for SS has been diluted due my latest experience at the Boston Con, where there was visible disdain from creators for anyone who had a CGC witness in tow, along with the increasingly absurd "slab fees" being posted on creator tables. Frankly, it wasn't a fun experience.

Anybody else have a story like this?

Edited by SourGrapes