• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all of the exclusive creator/talent signing deals...
4 4

252 posts in this topic

Speaking strictly for myself, and this is something that I've always been transparent about----I do my pre-sales in order to gauge how much inventory I need to order.

Especially when it comes to variant covers.  I've missed out on some really fantastic variants in the past because I didn't get my orders in early enough.

Most recently, the Elektra #2 Adi Granov variant cover.   I had customers contact me about the book, and I couldn't offer it because I didn't request any in advance.

That's just one example----but I'm constantly in touch with my LCS, multiple times a day in fact, placing orders in advance to guarantee that I have the stock available to me.

If I wasn't able to to that, it would be increasingly difficult for me to be able to successfully deliver the product.

If I was to wait until the product is physically in hand, it's extremely unlikely that I'd have enough product, let alone high grade product to offer.

Also, I'm not about to just blindly purchase books that I (think) board members might like, go through the motions getting the books graded, and then throw them out there in the hopes that there are people interested in the book, months after it's been on and off the shelves.  The costs simply do not make this a viable option.

It just makes more business sense to offer various books that I (think) rather than (hope) board members might be interested in, and then based off that interest, I'll place my advance orders with my LCS.   If I throw out there, for example Unworthy Thor #1 standard and variant, and get 3 people interested, I'm going to make sure that I have at least double that waiting for me when I purchase inventory.  Seven to Eternity #1, I couldn't supply enough books past the initial 8 ordered,  because I waited till the book was on the shelves to offer it in the thread.  Had I offered the book earlier, I could have locked in twice that many.

On the other side of that coin, there have been several books with no takers, so I'm not going to even bother getting that book done.

Without the advent of the pre-sales in the signature room, it would significantly hamper the service that I am able to offer my customers and  significantly impact the amount of business that I do with CGC.   

But Rich, why should SS Faciltators be allowed to do this and blue label and raw sellers not?

Taking "shopping lists" is no different than what someone did a few years ago before SDCC - list everything that was going to be available at SDCC than ask people what they wanted in hope they would be able to get it. The thread was yanked from the sales forum.

What happens if you're not able to provide the item you sold? Is it fair for you to pre-sale something, and later not get it in grade or not at all and take away from sales from people who wait to release then sell it when they confirm in hand and grade quality?

I look at it like this. Yes talent has exclusive deals with facilitators. It is all about selling out sketch spots in advance, selling autographs, and maximize profits. In a field in the cons as we know them have only about 4 years left until they die down at most for various reasons. It's simple I represented Ken Kelly at a con of 500 people and he made more than the rest of the vendor room combined. Now I only did this because I was a director on the board. Yet the key was making money. If all your spots and etc are sold ahead of time then boom the rest of the con is just icing on the cake. Now a lot of these people just don't have the time and the facilitators can handle this. Why not just work with one guy? The facilitators know their business is at its peak and they have a limited time. I can't get mad at them for doing what they need to be a success.

14 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I look at it like this. Yes talent has exclusive deals with facilitators. It is all about selling out sketch spots in advance, selling autographs, and maximize profits. In a field in the cons as we know them have only about 4 years left until they die down at most for various reasons. It's simple I represented Ken Kelly at a con of 500 people and he made more than the rest of the vendor room combined. Now I only did this because I was a director on the board. Yet the key was making money. If all your spots and etc are sold ahead of time then boom the rest of the con is just icing on the cake. Now a lot of these people just don't have the time and the facilitators can handle this. Why not just work with one guy? The facilitators know their business is at its peak and they have a limited time. I can't get mad at them for doing what they need to be a success.

What you are describing is what a rep or handler does. If I'm not mistaken a Facilitator is supposed to be taking in books from CGC clients, representing CGC interests at a show, not handling talent. They are supposed to be focused on walking around the show with their witness (paid by CGC) getting signatures done on books to be graded by CGC. If the artists can't handle this they should get true reps or handlers. The Facilitators should not be sitting behind a booth all weekend taking in money for an artist or handling an artist interests but handling CGC books and making sure the books get done properly and not damaged/downgraded.

18 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

The Facilitators should not be sitting behind a booth all weekend taking in money for an artist or handling an artist interests but handling CGC books and making sure the books get done properly and not damaged/downgraded.

Why not? Is there a rule against it? *honest question*

17 minutes ago, newshane said:

Why not? Is there a rule against it? *honest question*

From what I understand there's supposed to be two sets of eyes on a book. Not just a witness. The whole reason a facilitator needs a witness. If this is different I don't know but this is what I've been told. All the facilitators I know and deal with walk around the show with their witnesses.

45 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

What you are describing is what a rep or handler does. If I'm not mistaken a Facilitator is supposed to be taking in books from CGC clients, representing CGC interests at a show, not handling talent. They are supposed to be focused on walking around the show with their witness (paid by CGC) getting signatures done on books to be graded by CGC. If the artists can't handle this they should get true reps or handlers. The Facilitators should not be sitting behind a booth all weekend taking in money for an artist or handling an artist interests but handling CGC books and making sure the books get done properly and not damaged/downgraded.

I disagree a facilitator should be able to do everything to maximize his or her profits that means getting artwork done for clients, getting stuff signed for people, and getting exclusives for people. If that means tying up an artist underneath your wing to rep them or a celebrity talent then that facilitator is doing their job. If your not doing what I listed as a facilitator then you are not going to be successful for long.

45 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I disagree a facilitator should be able to do everything to maximize his or her profits that means getting artwork done for clients, getting stuff signed for people, and getting exclusives for people. If that means tying up an artist underneath your wing to rep them or a celebrity talent then that facilitator is doing their job. If your not doing what I listed as a facilitator then you are not going to be successful for long.

Well all you're doing is facilitating your pockets then instead of facilitating for CGC.

Listen - I have nothing against making scratch and competition in the marketplace but the rules of the program should be followed at all times. There are some really great Facilitators out there who do a great job yet still manage to make money on the side while honoring their commitments to the program. Then there will alway be some who are too busy looking out for themselves and create chaos in the program. It's simple - if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time don't do it. Concentrate on what you're good at and make sure the customer is taken care of. And when you fall short don't lie and blame everyone but yourself for your own mess up. I can say this from the outside looking in and from what all these Facilitators and mutual customers are telling me. What I'm seeing right now is bunch of disenfranchised customers and the maybe the coming collapse of the program yet again unless the ship is righted... but what do I know? I wasn't right the last time... Oh wait, I was. Angry customers and Facilitators, & Angry Exhibitors, Publishers, and Retailers over boorish behavior at shows... not a good recipe for the program IMHO.

Edited by BeachBum

26 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Well all you're doing is facilitating your pockets then instead of facilitating for CGC.

Wow!!!! When a facilitator goes to a show they are not an employee of CGC they are working for their own company and not for CGC. So facilitators need to do what they need to do to cover the cost of their convention fees, hotel costs, food costs, and etc.. So they accept stuff from clients to maximize sells for profits. Not everything they accept is going to be sent to CGC because some people don't want slabbed comics andsome items can't be slabbed. A facilitator as long as they are approved by CGC does not always need a witness with them. A facilitator also works with the conventions and talent to help both of their sales and make profit. At the end of the day the facilitator needs to be able to put roof over their family's head, put food on a table, and cover the expenses like medical and clothing. DScott, Rich Henn, Par2ch, and Celestial Comics are not employees of CGC. They are all just trying to fill the demand this business asks for and are doing great at it and my hat is off and respect for to them

15 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

A facilitator as long as they are approved by CGC does not always need a witness with them.

Really? Who runs their facilitation this way?... please do tell. Are you a Facilitator?

Edited by BeachBum

4 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

Huh...everybody I know has been doing it wrong.  

I'm just saying if I go to such and such show and a facilitator is there. The witness is not always attached to their hip. The facilitator may come over and watch the book get signed or they may send a witness to watch the book get signed. The facilitator may be getting books signed by such and such talent while the witness is getting other books signed by such and such talent.

Just now, reddwarf666222 said:

I'm just saying if I go to such and such show and a facilitator is there. The witness is not always attached to their hip. The facilitator may come over and watch the book get signed or they may send a witness to watch the book get signed. The facilitator may be getting books signed by such and such talent while the witness is getting other books signed by such and such talent.

Who's the Facilitator doing this?

3 minutes ago, inthehottub said:

From what I have seen and heard it is only the witness and it must be the witness who witnesses the signatures. The Facilitator can stay at his booth all day long but the witness must be present for all signatures.

I have seen it done that way. I have also seen facilitators get signatures by themselves and witnesses get signatures. As long as it is not their own books. If that is the case a facilitator uses another facilitator.

Just now, reddwarf666222 said:

I have seen it done that way. I have also seen facilitators get signatures by themselves and witnesses get signatures. As long as it is not their own books. If that is the case a facilitator uses another facilitator.

From what I have heard that is wrong.  A facilitator cannot witness signature. A witness would need another witness if they were their own books.

5 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Again, who is the Facilitator(s) doing this?

9 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Again, who is the Facilitator(s) doing this?

Hmmm from all the posts I have read here so far from you. All you want to do is troll the facilitators and witnesses for trying to make a living to the point all you want to do is discredit them and see them all go away because you think they only work for CGC. All I can say is when I go to a show I follow the facilitator's exact instruction and do not argue. If that means a line is busy and call them up when I am at a certain point that is what I do. As far as answering your question here not going to because your screen name says you are a Beach Bum that wants to be a troll and try to destroy a legitimate way facilitators make money just because they figured out how to make money to maximize profits and you are jealous you didn't come up with it yourself. WaWaWa 

1 minute ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Hmmm from all the posts I have read here so far from you. All you want to do is troll the facilitators and witnesses for trying to make a living to the point all you want to do is discredit them and see them all go away because you think they only work for CGC. All I can say is when I go to a show I follow the facilitator's exact instruction and do not argue. If that means a line is busy and call them up when I am at a certain point that is what I do. As far as answering your question here not going to because your screen name says you are a Beach Bum that wants to be a troll and try to destroy a legitimate way facilitators make money just because they figured out how to make money to maximize profits and you are jealous you didn't come up with it yourself. WaWaWa 

Yeah that's me lol

you're the one coming in here talking about faciltator behavior that is breaking the rules and now trying to deflect and call me a troll... Not a good cover up but carry on.

Edited by BeachBum