• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With all of the exclusive creator/talent signing deals...
4 4

252 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I have seen it done that way. I have also seen facilitators get signatures by themselves and witnesses get signatures. As long as it is not their own books. If that is the case a facilitator uses another facilitator.

By whom?

15 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I'm just saying if I go to such and such show and a facilitator is there. The witness is not always attached to their hip. The facilitator may come over and watch the book get signed or they may send a witness to watch the book get signed. The facilitator may be getting books signed by such and such talent while the witness is getting other books signed by such and such talent.

There is no trolling here, not from BeachBum and not from me.  

That said, who is doing this?  This is actually very important to me because it affects the integrity of the program which could have a very real impact on my collection.  

14 hours ago, Par2ch said:

Correct, however, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, a facilitator who accepts customer books and or has his own inventory/stock to get signed at a show CANNOT witness these books, NOR can he witness for other facilitators books.  If his witness(es) are off getting books done then the facilitator has to wait until they return OR grab someone from the CGC booth. 

Spoken by one of the absolute best.  

Thank you for reenforcing my understanding of the whole process.  

43 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

I'll put this out there then - I think if customers are sending books out to Facilitators to get sigs done than the Customers should know who the witness is who is handling the books. If the Facilitators are sitting behind a booth the whole time the customer should know who the person is responsible for handling their books during the signing. I would hope these Facilitators are getting responsible people to handle these expensive books and prized possessions.

I couldn't agree more Dre. I would never want my books handed off to someone who is not responsible or accountable for my books.

16 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

There is no trolling here, not from BeachBum and not from me.  

That said, who is doing this?  This is actually very important to me because it affects the integrity of the program which could have a very real impact on my collection.  

I just miswrote just simply trying to point out not every facilitator is with a book when it gets signed and sometimes it is just the witness. It may be nice to have both facilitator and witness there just sometimes it is not feasible. Celestial Comics is the perfect example to where they rep artists and send witnesses out to get items signed.

15 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Then who's watching the books?

God. Remember that next time you're off "killing kittens".

6 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I just miswrote just simply trying to point out not every facilitator is with a book when it gets signed and sometimes it is just the witness. It may be nice to have both facilitator and witness there just sometimes it is not feasible. Celestial Comics is the perfect example to where they rep artists and send witnesses out to get items signed.

That's not what you said but nice back peddle attempt.

4 minutes ago, Evilawd said:

I couldn't agree more Dre. I would never want my books handed off to someone who is not responsible or accountable for my books.

It's called quality control as long as you prep the book ahead of time with great instructions on your end the submitter like windowboxing, sending a marker with submission for correct color, and send a picture of the comic is slabbed where you want it signed then the facilitator can prep the comic for you and give the instructions to the witness. If it is an item getting signed then send a picture of the item and circle the area you want signed leave instructions. A good facilitator can keep control this way without having to be there.

6 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Celestial Comics at most shows have a booth. They also have about 4 staff on the booth and at big shows can have 5+ witnesses going around to get the comics signed. You said that you have seen facilitators get the comics signed themselves with no witness present and we are asking who? As this undermines the whole process.

3 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Right here is the problem everyone - reddwarf666222 has hit on the nail - Do what you want, while you can, by whatever means necessary, break the rules, step over others, openly lie, talk badly about other facilitators/dealers and even your own customers, even if it kills the signature series program. Cool books for everyone.... for now.

We've been here before and survived all the doom and gloom.   In fact, I think it all wound up strengthening the entire program with stricter enforcement and a very public clarification of the rules.  Those of us that were here then remember it all too well and I feel confident that we all hoped it would never happen again.  

Then it started happening again.  Frankly, if this is just a cycle then it's probably time for me to do what I can, while I can by whatever means necessary to dump these books before the program is tarnished.  My interest has been waning again too, so why not?

As for the original thread topic, I'm not a fan of exclusive deals but understand it from all sides and, at least for now, it's just a fact of life.  

4 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Right now facilitators, creators, and companies are making more money while they can and more power to them if they get an exclusivity. The truth is the current Comic Con style market has about 4 years left to live and it is going to have a hard crash. Sure the big 5 may live in a smaller fashion, but the rest will close shop.  The writing is on the wall and they need to make all the money while they still can.

I had a friend one time that got the flu.  It was really nasty, and we had to take him to the emergency room.  He was in really bad shape, but the doctors said he was lucky that we took him in when we did.

He was a straight laced guy, the type that lived clean and followed all the rules.  A couple years ago, I would never have imagined this could happen to him.

So it got me thinking about how little time we all have.  I should probably live life to the fullest and take care of myself.  So I decided, when no one was looking, to "take care of" my friend.  Afterall, he was already in sorry shape... I speculate he probably only had 4 years left to live anyway.  (And since this isn't a comic from the big 2, he's not magically coming back.)  Then, I harvested all his organs and sold them on the black market.

That was a good day.  I made a lot of money, and no one misses my friend.

3 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Yep, because they are not ruining/killing the business for everyone. They have just tarnished your experience. They have 3 to 4 years left as they know it and it is over.

No, they are killing it for all of us.  Comics as a hobby have been hanging by a thread for more than a decade.  The truth is that if these people can kill the fun and enjoyment of the hobby for us - the hard core, long term collectors - then what hope is there of new fans getting into it and staying in it?  There is the jaded side of it, protecting our investment and such and there is the real hobby side of it, getting creators that rarely appear, finding someone that we remember fondly from our childhood, or finding a book signed by someone that changed the industry or just our view of it.  I think we would all be lying if we said the former doesn't matter at all, just as we would be lying if we said the latter isn't why we're all here.  

10 minutes ago, DomRand said:

Celestial Comics at most shows have a booth. They also have about 4 staff on the booth and at big shows can have 5+ witnesses going around to get the comics signed. You said that you have seen facilitators get the comics signed themselves with no witness present and we are asking who? As this undermines the whole process.

I said I simply miswrote what I meant. The simple fact is only one person needs to be there and that is the witness when the book gets signed and that is what I meant by only one person needs to be there.

What have here with BeachBum is a dealer who can't stand other facilitators who have found a way to lock up a portion of his income he used to get just because the other facilitators played politics and did their homework to lock things up to guarantee themselves a bigger piece of the pie. All it comes across as is whining and troll like. There is no use crying and worrying over spilled milk. It is just how the industry has evolved he can either accept it, learn, and use this to his advantage moving to lock up stuff himself to profit. He can complain, become a dinosaur, and not change with the industry eventually go out of business. Complaining is just not going to change things and makes you look terrible as a seller.

3 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I said I simply miswrote what I meant. The simple fact is only one person needs to be there and that is the witness when the book gets signed and that is what I meant by only one person needs to be there.

What have here with BeachBum is a dealer who can't stand other facilitators who have found a way to lock up a portion of his income he used to get just because the other facilitators played politics and did their homework to lock things up to guarantee themselves a bigger piece of the pie. All it comes across as is whining and troll like. There is no use crying and worrying over spilled milk. It is just how the industry has evolved he can either accept it, learn, and use this to his advantage moving to lock up stuff himself to profit. He can complain, become a dinosaur, and not change with the industry eventually go out of business. Complaining is just not going to change things and makes you look terrible as a seller.

I don't do SS (well very little). All I see is people breaking the rules. Sorry if I'm looking out for the integrity of the program. You apparently don't mind people breaking the rules for their own gain at the expense of the program.

Edited by BeachBum

16 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Wow!!!! When a facilitator goes to a show they are not an employee of CGC they are working for their own company and not for CGC. So facilitators need to do what they need to do to cover the cost of their convention fees, hotel costs, food costs, and etc.. So they accept stuff from clients to maximize sells for profits. Not everything they accept is going to be sent to CGC because some people don't want slabbed comics andsome items can't be slabbed. A facilitator as long as they are approved by CGC does not always need a witness with them. A facilitator also works with the conventions and talent to help both of their sales and make profit. At the end of the day the facilitator needs to be able to put roof over their family's head, put food on a table, and cover the expenses like medical and clothing. DScott, Rich Henn, Par2ch, and Celestial Comics are not employees of CGC. They are all just trying to fill the demand this business asks for and are doing great at it and my hat is off and respect for to them

Thought I'd better quote this before it gets changed.  

A facilitator as long as they are approved by CGC does not always need a witness with them. 

This part in particular.