• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Sorry if i say this but the other company seems to be well suited for golden age books since Steve is grading them 

Surely you would agree that CGC can adequately grade GA books as well as them, or am I mis-reading you?

3 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Surely you would agree that CGC can adequately grade GA books as well as them, or am I mis-reading you?

What he is saying is that Steve started CGC way back when 

Edited by comicjack

32 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I know this book is considered to be 'The Daddy' by many, and I do love the cover art, and I love Schomburg period. Church books are amazing as well but I've always thought this book to be over-rated against many others out there. Not trying to be controversial, just my opinion.

Who is you daddy (:

Wow! "Two books enter, one book leaves. Thunder dome" .

Adding to the pay per view worthy showdown of the Church copies of the two big #3's: two different grading houses, two different auction houses. This is one for the ages. This will settle which is the bigger of the two books once and for all. Boardies, place your bets....

1 minute ago, Silver Surfer said:

Good question, would love to know how long this has been buried away for?

One assumes Chuck grabbed it in the 70s and possibly unloaded it in that decade. If so it could have been in someone's collection 40+ years.

18 minutes ago, Sagii said:

Adding to the pay per view worthy showdown of the Church copies of the two big #3's: two different grading houses, two different auction houses. This is one for the ages. This will settle which is the bigger of the two books once and for all. Boardies, place your bets....

Well, if you asked Jon Berk, he would say Mystery Men 3 without a doubt.  lol

My guess though, is that you probably had another fantastic book in mind when you ask this question.  hm

Suspense 3 will fetch more money.  Golden age seems to be favoring cover art more and more  Not too many people are going to be awestruck by the first appearance of Blue Beetle or Samson .  I might be prejudiced since I owned the other two be it vg copies but never had a Suspense 3.    Pretty amazing all these legendary books changing hands after being hidden away so long.  Wish I hadnt taken a decade break from collecting esoteric golden age let alone my decision to sell off my stuff 12 years ago.  Oh well its fun starting fresh and there is still a lot of "undiscovered" or not hyped cool books to seek out

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you asked Jon Berk, he would say Mystery Men 3 without a doubt.  lol

My guess though, is that you probably had another fantastic book in mind when you ask this question.  hm

lol I did. This is gonna be interesting. 

Church vs Church

HA vs CC

Fine by Schomburg

CGC vs C**S

Fantastic vs Suspense

Ultimate classic cover vs. Ultimate classic cover

#3 vs #3

We'll be picking this one apart for years!

1 hour ago, Sagii said:

39 minutes ago, AllStar-Comics said:

Suspense 3 will fetch more money. 

Not sure if this is exactly a fair showdown since Suspense 3 will be out there on its own, while Fantastic 3 will also be competing with all of the other flagship books coming out from Jon Berk's collection at the same time.  hm

Boy I remember reading about the MH copy of Suspense 3 in Comic Book Marketplace and how certain collectors were drooling over it at a presentation. I was quickly told on these boards how I was mistaken and it was never present on Chuck's list, and that no copy ever existed. Apology accepted. 

49 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure if this is exactly a fair showdown since Suspense 3 will be out there on its own, while Fantastic 3 will also be competing with all of the other flagship books coming out from Jon Berk's collection at the same time.  hm

I dont think it matters  Somebody buying six figure comics isnt  exactly budgeting like the rest of us poor smopes.  All are stunning books but the Suspense seems to have been slowly building more and more steam.  Maybe some of the older guys who collected golden age when the other two were already established keys feel different.  I know eventually the audience for some of these books simply wont be there while new keys will emerge.  Then again who knows I would have never guessed trashed copies of amazing fantasy 15 would sell for close to ten grand .  in the 80's when I started seriously collecting silver age Adventure 247 was the grail book now nobody seems to care about that book.   I'd love to just have a copy of Suspense 3 let alone the Mile high