• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sagii said:

Church vs Church

HA vs CC

Fine by Schomburg

CGC vs C**S

Fantastic vs Suspense

Ultimate classic cover vs. Ultimate classic cover

#3 vs #3

We'll be picking this one apart for years!

Well, if I was picking, I would most likely go for the Fantastic 3 myself.

Especially since the Fantastic 3 is a higher grade at 9.4, while the Suspense 3 is slightly lower at 9.2 and also with a Penn Copy in 9.0 graded condition nipping right at its heels.  In addition, the Fantastic 3 has been graded by the more established grading company with a bigger brand name at this point in time, as compared to both of the Suspense 3's which have been graded by the other company.

In addition, the Fantastic 3 seems to be a relatively tougher book to find in comparison to the Suspense 3.  If you take a look at the Heritage archives, it almost seems like there have been more copies of Suspense 3 sold by them then all of the other Suspense issues combined, albeit in lower grade.  Of course, this might also be skewed by Fishler scarfing up most of the Fantastic 3's before they even hit the marketplace.  lol

Finally, although both of these titles are not part of the mainstream names known to the less sophisticated collectors, I feel that the Fox family of books are still more well know and will provide a stronger supporting base from which Fantastic 3 can benefit from going forward.  Especially when you compare it to Suspense 3 which is published by Continental Magazines and is really much more of a niche publisher as compared to Fox. 

So, put me down for Fantastic 3 since the market has been aching for a high grade copy of this book much longer than a Suspense 3, which was already available in the marketplace a mere 2 short years ago.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if I was picking, I would most likely go for the Fantastic 3 myself.

Especially since the Fantastic 3 is a higher grade at 9.4, while the Suspense 3 is slightly lower at 9.2 and also with a Penn Copy in 9.0 graded condition nipping right at its heels.  In addition, the Fantastic 3 has been graded by the more established grading company with a bigger brand name at this point in time, as compared to both of the Suspense 3's which have been graded by the other company.

In addition, the Fantastic 3 seems to be a relatively tougher book to find in comparison to the Suspense 3.  If you take a look at the Heritage archives, it almost seems like there have been more copies of Suspense 3 sold by them then all of the other Suspense issues combined, albeit in lower grade.  Of course, this might also be skewed by Fishler scarfing up most of the Fantastic 3's before they even hit the marketplace.  lol

Finally, although both of these titles are not part of the mainstream names known to the less sophisticated collectors, I feel that the Fox family of books are still more well know and will provide a stronger supporting base from which Fantastic 3 can benefit from.  Especially when you compare it to Suspense 3 which is published by Continental Magazines and is really much more of a niche publisher as compared to Fox. 

So, put me down for Fantastic 3 since the market has been aching for a high grade copy of this book much longer than a Suspense 3, which was already available in the marketplace a mere 2 short years ago.  (thumbsu

Lou, your analysis of posts are some of the best. Always thoughtful, and thought provoking. I am inclined to agree with you on most of what you said because of your very arguments. However, though i'm in the tank for FC3 taking it, there seems to have always been some 'mystique' about a Church copy of SC3 existing or not. Now we know. That just may hold some allure for a buyer to want the copy from the most revered pedigree in fandom, and driving a wedge between the hammer price of the Woo copy and it. 

9 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I know this book is considered to be 'The Daddy' by many, and I do love the cover art, and I love Schomburg period. Church books are amazing as well but I've always thought this book to be over-rated against many others out there. Not trying to be controversial, just my opinion.

Yes, but it's only over-rated when you actually read it.

5 hours ago, Sagii said:

Lou, your analysis of posts are some of the best. Always thoughtful, and thought provoking. I am inclined to agree with you on most of what you said because of your very arguments. However, though i'm in the tank for FC3 taking it, there seems to have always been some 'mystique' about a Church copy of SC3 existing or not. Now we know. That just may hold some allure for a buyer to want the copy from the most revered pedigree in fandom, and driving a wedge between the hammer price of the Woo copy and it. 

This copy will blow the Woo copy out of the water because it is the Mile High but i'll vote for the FC3 to be hot on its heel.

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Yes, but it's only over-rated when you actually read it.

Who does that (:

Edited by comicjack

In this scenario where we are at the window at the horse track placing our bets, I agree with Lou_fine's argument. But if you tell me I'm outliving all you guys in my mostly 50+ collector cohort by a freakishly long time, I get unsure. This is really a commentary on my part about the uncertain future of the hobby based on the expensive niche status of new comics today. (Not a thread jack, hear me out.)

To Lou's point, sophisticated collectors are made, not born. I can look back at myself as a little kid in the early 70's and see the machinery that made these books (and so many others, like all of you, I'm sure) aspirational for me. For us, it goes beyond the first hero appearances. 

But barring a scenario where young dealers and others foster that mindset, I'd have to fall back on Suspense #3 as the one of the pair more likely to land in the "classic American pop culture" camp and hold value even if comics become a quaint memory in the past. This book, like a Cap 46, has a crossover appeal that a museum curator could appreciate. I would worry that absent a pipeline for sophisticated collectors into the future, a Fantastic #3 has the greater chance of being too esoteric. Heck, a book like AA16 could easily suffer that fate under this scenario. But it is a specific scenario, and not a guarantee, of course. Just my 2-cent view of the long term, and I'd like to be wrong about my underlying theory, but that probably starts with a change in the new comics marketplace.

Wow, just Wow. The Church Suspense #3 finally surfaces! I would love to know the back story on it. It was probably one of the earliest books Chuck sold. I asked him once about it and he remembers selling it very early on before he made up the original list so I was sure it existed. Probably sold it for very little. I don't use the term of "Grail" lightly, but if I could only have one book, this might be the one for me...

Neither book is going to close without turning heads on price since they are both the best copies available right now on the market. A 9.4 should trump a 9.2 if they were equal keys too.

Suspense comics #3 has such a history now and being a Mile High/Church copy with its own "suspense" around its existence and given that last sale of a 9.0 really "popped" I'll take the Suspense comics #3 this time.