• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 books in the hobby right now?

42 posts in this topic

This is discussed about once a year. I'd say right now T27 and A1 are tied for #1, Supes 1 is clearly #3.  Then? Contrary to Overstreet, I'd then go with Bats 1, Marvel 1, Cap 1. What then? How far down should AA16 really be? How far up should Amazing Fantasy 15 really be, considering a copy has actually sold for well over $1 million?

I wouldn't mind having both a Marvel 1 and a Cap 1, myself. None of the top 10 books is a remote possibility for me anyway, so I don't think a great deal about their relative rankings, other than to say, for me, Action 1 will always be #1 by just a smidge over Detective 27,  just by a hair.

46 minutes ago, Johnny5451 said:

+1

I agree.  It's funny when I started collecting back in the early 70s, Marvel Comics 1 was a book I drooled over.  Even as a youngster, I wanted a copy, knowing of course, I would not be able to sniff a copy's musty odor let alone buy one.  Back in the 80s when I could afford a few low cost GA books, I was drawn to Cap 1 and it has been my holiest of grails ever since.  Not that I wouldn't love to own both.

The only thing that has remained constant is I still cannot afford either and unless my long-lost relative, a Nigerian Prince, comes through, I never will :cry:

Without regard to ranking, 11 books have been named thus far in the thread if I have counted correctly: Action 1, Tec 27, Supes, Bats, Cap, Marvel, AF15, AA16, Fantastic 3, Suspense 3, All-Star 8.

Are the "right" 10 in those 11? If no, who is in? Who is out? I guess that all comes ahead of ranking. That's all rhetorical as yet; would need to think on my own answers. Pep 22 comes to mind for me.

of course, we usually correlate biggest with price tag, but if we look at impact upon the hobby and its creators through the years, it's easy to take many of those grails off the list in favor of much "cheaper" books such as CDNP22 or Mad 1 and All-Star 3.

My top ten in overall hobby not just Golden Age because the other ages have more volume and movement.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Captain America # 1

4. Batman # 1 (first JOKER)

5. Amazing Fantasy #15

6. Hulk #1

7.Incredible Hulk #181

8. Amazing Spider-Man #129

9. New Mutants #98

10. The Walking Dead #1

If we're talking GA Superhero, I think the top five are certainly:

1 (tie) Action 1