• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 books in the hobby right now?

42 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Dr Carl said:

If we're talking GA Superhero, I think the top five are certainly:

1 (tie) Action 1

1 (tie) Tec 27

3 Supes 1 

4 Bats 1 

5 Cap 1 

And then things become more debatable:

6 Marvel 1

7 AA16

8 All Star 8

9 Tec 31

10 Flash 1

I think AA 16 is falling in star power with each passing year

Green Lantern.....yawn

13 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

My top ten in overall hobby not just Golden Age because the other ages have more volume and movement.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Captain America # 1

4. Batman # 1 (first JOKER)

5. Amazing Fantasy #15

6. Hulk #1

7.Incredible Hulk #181

8. Amazing Spider-Man #129

9. New Mutants #98

10. The Walking Dead #1

CC is on the right track -- way too many GA books being offered up. I mean, I love 'Tec 31 but no way it should be on a Top 10 Books in the Hobby list, especially at the expense of AF 15 or IH 181 or even 'Tec 38 for that matter. Books like Showcase 4 or B&B 28 should be in the mix as well. (Just realized this is in the Gold thread, not General -- was this specified as GA only?)

Edited by Martin Sinescu

On 3/11/2017 at 9:07 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

l -- was this specified as GA only?)

I think it was implied, cuz of gold section.

However...I think it's important to gauge what is important to collectors overall, across all ages of comics. AF15 is a BEAST right now. I coulda easily got in last year. It's a little late now.

What will it take for horror books to make the list? I see Americans becoming more and more interested in horror & suspense cinema over the next decade or so.

Horror movies will become the new Superhero genre, with muti-million dollar budgets and big directors. Not slasher flicks either...complex characters and deep storylines. What big time movie makers have made a horror film? Has Scorcese? Speilberg? No. Someone will one day.

Horror is still a niche market.

When will horror books begin selling for $20,000+? I see it happening...

13 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

I think it was implied, cuz of gold section.

However...I think it's important to gauge what is important to collectors overall, across all ages of comics. AF15 is a BEAST right now. I coulda easily got in last year. It's a little late now.

What will it take for horror books to make the list? I see Americans becoming more and more interested in horror & suspense cinema over the next decade or so.

Horror movies will become the new Superhero genre, with muti-million dollar budgets and big directors. Not slasher flicks either...complex characters and deep storylines. What big time movie makers have made a horror film? Has Scorcese? Speilberg? No. Someone will one day.

Horror is still a niche market.

When will horror books begin selling for $20,000+? I see it happening...

I would think that big directors had already made big Horror movies, Hitchcock with Psycho, Spielberg with Jaws, and Ridley Scott with Alien.  Maybe it needs to be comic first and then much later a film do drive comic prices?  Don't know for just but just my two cents.

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think FF #1 should also be in the list...

Right, if it's the hobby as a whole rather than GA.  Although I guess it's considered an eccentric position, I think FF 1 was actually the beginning of the Silver Age and, by starting the Marvel Universe, was responsible for the modern comic collecting hobby.  

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, G.A.tor said:

Probably need to define parameters and also separate eras. 

Just valuation, as in the Overstreet lists. Which ain't close to accurate. It appears the consensus here would be that A1 and T27 are tied at #1, then Supes 1 #3, then Bats 1, then Cap 1. That's the five most valuable/desirable books in the hobby regardless of era. What are the next five? Marvel 1 is probably #6, right?

Edited by twmjr1

16 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

So are we talking GA then?  If so, I'd put Marvel 1, AS 8, Pep 22, AA 16, Whiz #2(#1)

No, every book. So AF 15 has got to be in the top 10, but no other non-GA book would be.  A copy of AF 15 has brought $1.1 million. It's a top 10 book, period.

Just to follow up on my 'Tec question.... 31 vs. 38.... I can't believe Robin's first app wouldn't be the third most important Bat-book and deserving to be on a Top 10 GA books, but there is undoubtedly a cult-like reverence for the pre-Robin days. Which one wins, Bat-fans?

45 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Just to follow up on my 'Tec question.... 31 vs. 38.... I can't believe Robin's first app wouldn't be the third most important Bat-book and deserving to be on a Top 10 GA books, but there is undoubtedly a cult-like reverence for the pre-Robin days. Which one wins, Bat-fans?

I would agree with you and go with the 38,but the pre Robin guys are adamant and that may certainly sway their views.  I would put More Fun 52 in my top ten books but I would certainly admit that would be a minority opinion.

4 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

31 wins and it's not even close. 

On 3/13/2017 at 8:39 PM, Sqeggs said:

Right, if it's the hobby as a whole rather than GA.  Although I guess it's considered an eccentric position, I think FF 1 was actually the beginning of the Silver Age and, by starting the Marvel Universe, was responsible for the modern comic collecting hobby.  

I'm in agreement with this school of thought Tony, regarding FF 1. I never bought into Showcase 4 as the beginning of SA. 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:
6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

31 wins and it's not even close. 

From the point of view of the past 10 years, you are most definitely right!  (thumbsu

For the next 10 years going forward, I believe the 'Tec 38 is going to win out from a valuation percentage increase point of view.  :whatthe:

I have always held to the belief that the comic book market moves in cycles.  And in this sense, the hottest area within the GA market during the past 2 to 3 years has clearly been the classic covers, with 'Tec 31 being one of the key books leading this march.  But what is hot right now does not mean that it will stay hot indefinitely.  And right now, I am starting to see some heat turning back up on the long cold dead traditional keys such as Whiz 2, All-Star 3, and the likes.  This latest heat was probably ignited by the recent movie hype phenomenon that has swept parts of this market, as evident by the trio of Wonder Woman related keys which are now definitely on fire after being stone cold dead for the past couple of decades prior to this phenomenon.  And the embers of this fire is starting to spread back to some of the traditional GA keys, of which Detective 38 is definitely one of them. 

If you look back to 20 years ago in the Overstreet guide, Detective 38 was either tied for 2nd or at least the 3rd most expensive book in the Batman run of Detective, and always well behind 'Tec 31.  Definitely not the case anymore as 'Tec 31 is now clearly ensconced in 2nd place, while 'Tec 38 has fallen all the way to #6 spot.  Although Overstreet prices are not necessarily market prices as we all know, they are still useful as a guide in terms of relative prices. 

Collector interest in classic covers is definitely the main factor that has pushed prices up for 'Tec 31, to the point that it is now the 2nd most valuable Detective book by far.  Interesting to note though, that it was only 20 short years ago that a survey was conducted by the readers of CBM in which they elicited something like 175 separate votes for the Top GA Cover of all time.  Guess what....'Tec 31 received only 1 single vote out of the 175 votes cast, and if I had not voted for it as one of my Top 5 covers, it would have been shutout completely.  Definitely not the case anymore as a recent survey conducted by Heritage placed 'Tec 31 now clearly at the top of the poll for Top GA Covers.  Amazing how collector interests are so finicky and changeable over time.

As the old saying goes, it's best to buy when something is out of favor, as opposed to buying when something is scorching hot and you are going to have to pay top dollar.  In this scenario, 'Tec 31 is most definitely scorching hot and it's going to cost you big money to pick one up.  Although on a price per point basis, it does appear to have plateaued a bit or not quite increasing at the rapid pace it was.  Detective 38, on the other hand, was definitely a relatively cold book a couple of years ago.  Doesn't appear to be the case anymore as there are now clear signs of life with increasing price per point being seen on this book over the past year or so.

I strongly believe anybody picking up a decent presenting copy of 'Tec 38 in today's marketplace will not regret their purchase in a few years from now as the flames seems to be growing with increasing strength on the traditional keys after having rested in the doldrums for an extended period of time.  Although 'Tec 31 will still beat it from an absolute dollar valuation increase point of view due to its current big head start, I feel that 'Tec 38 will win out from a percentage valuation increase point of view going forward.  hm