• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, Aman619 said:

That’s the 64 thousand dollar question, and the the answer is somewhat in flux.  To date pence copies and all foreign editions were lumped together, because the understanding was that they were all printed overseas, at a later time from the US editions.

but it’s feeling like many if not all the pence versions may have actually been printed on the same presses as the US editions, and, possibly only hours later. Should this be the case, or, should collectors now - for whatever reason - consider them on a par with the US editions, their values may increase dramatically.

If you look in the Grand Comics Database for instance for Amazing Spider-Man 45 you will see that the US and UK variants are side by side in the US section. These have the same publisher/printer indicia and ads for US goods EXACTLY as the US issue because they were published/printed in the US at the same time..

image.png.0b6f9964fba76c01bc16307c45159bb5.png

image.png.a1ecae74b88058dbba834df760993953.png

All others are reprints and are listed as such in the foreign section and will have a DIFFERENT publisher and printer as well as ads for the country in which the comic was reprinted. The layouts and titles will also be noticeably different. This is as true for foreign language reprints as it is for English language reprints :

image.png.bedb930e82cde072f5194b175db82af4.png

image.png.8023beac97c8a151f06ed9a4c94b523e.png

image.png.7aef36814387ec881a894a86bd4eb78a.png

Sometimes the artwork may even be altered in foreign reprints :

image.png.bdc57967e42a27d16ebf706331c467b0.png

image.png.46a720aaa6a981cd1730b85cc4b46dcf.png

image.png.8793ee41c66e846e25705b819ccfe0cd.png

image.png.b86c0edfba8ce174510ff94d15abadfd.png

Hope this helps.

Edited by Redshade

3 hours ago, Redshade said:

If you look in the Grand Comics Database for instance for Amazing Spider-Man 45 you will see that the US and UK variants are side by side in the US section. These have the same publisher/printer indicia and ads for US goods EXACTLY as the US issue because they were published/printed in the US at the same time..

image.png.0b6f9964fba76c01bc16307c45159bb5.png

image.png.a1ecae74b88058dbba834df760993953.png

All others are reprints and are listed as such in the foreign section and will have a DIFFERENT publisher and printer as well as ads for the country in which the comic was reprinted. The layouts and titles will also be noticeably different. This is as true for foreign language reprints as it is for English language reprints :

image.png.bedb930e82cde072f5194b175db82af4.png

image.png.8023beac97c8a151f06ed9a4c94b523e.png

image.png.7aef36814387ec881a894a86bd4eb78a.png

Sometimes the artwork may even be altered in foreign reprints :

image.png.bdc57967e42a27d16ebf706331c467b0.png

image.png.46a720aaa6a981cd1730b85cc4b46dcf.png

image.png.8793ee41c66e846e25705b819ccfe0cd.png

image.png.b86c0edfba8ce174510ff94d15abadfd.png

Hope this helps.

Yes, that is helpful, thank you.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:53 PM, Marwood & I said:

Cheers Mike / Mark, thanks for your thoughts :headbang::headbang:

I do know they didn't run already printed sheets through and overwrote them, but I'm not an expert. Aman619 knows a lot about the printing process, hence my earlier call out to him, and I hope he'll dive in at some point. He did explain it all to me once, but I can't find it. It might be in the font variation thread somewhere.

Liz - like the new avatar. Very sedate. I will miss the old boy though - remember this one from last year?:

5a515134ba2ec_barry(2).thumb.PNG.6846f139f390cfecf4e0a0109f17e9c4.PNG

Not enough mucking about in 2018 so far for my liking. First Barry sighting though :whatthe:

On the subject of the printing process, which has always interested me, I picked up this pack of an old Alan Class reprint from 1962. The pictures aren't the best, but you should see 'Out of This World' #21 along with the four original cover plates plus COA signed by Alan Class himself (he's still going strong):

20180106_222212.thumb.jpg.973489f396ca7f64a029fa57e7db70a9.jpg

20180106_222328.thumb.jpg.2f4fd76f015e40d3214050a8ad60da3a.jpg

20180106_222518.thumb.jpg.c8da0db42736a34afc7b4f629a7b8041.jpg

Looking at the plates you can kind of see how it was done, with a fairly crude scraping out of the plate in places where no ink was wanted. It's a cool thing and a pence copy (albeit not a Marvel reprint, but it's my thread and I'll post what I like in it)

Anyway, let's see if the printing experts chip in soon. All good fun :headbang:

Not long until Bobby's thread now. Keep 'em peeled.....

But surely mate this IS a reprint ???

30 minutes ago, Redshade said:

But surely mate this IS a reprint ???

Yes, it is a reprint, but not of a Marvel title is what I meant. American Comics Group, I think. 

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

I just wanted you to know that even though I have nothing to contribute, I find this subject matter fascinating. Thanks for the obviously tedious work.

Hi Gaard.

Thank you for your kind comments (even if they weren't meant for me).

I  don't mind researching comics at all.

As a proponent of the hobby I enjoy it very much.

When things get tedious, then that is the time to start a different hobby.

Regards.

Redshade.

9 hours ago, Redshade said:

Hi Gaard.

Regards.

Redshade.

Meant for everyone in this thread.

I was one of those "teenage comic geeks" back in the mid '70s, but I'm still amazed at the things I had no idea about & how much work (<-- that's what it seems like) people put into gathering/sharing this kind of information. I love reading about the history of our hobby, and the subject of this thread just makes me say 'wow' - not just because of the info, but because people took the time to research it.

Mike

8 hours ago, Gaard said:

Meant for everyone in this thread.

I was one of those "teenage comic geeks" back in the mid '70s, but I'm still amazed at the things I had no idea about & how much work (<-- that's what it seems like) people put into gathering/sharing this kind of information. I love reading about the history of our hobby, and the subject of this thread just makes me say 'wow' - not just because of the info, but because people took the time to research it.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Gaard! If you have signatures turned on, there are links to my DC and Miller Pence threads and my Font Variant thread just under the pretty picture. You might enjoy those too. Charlton is next up. It's going to knock the Marvel one for six(d) (thumbsu

17 hours ago, Redshade said:

Hi Gaard.

Regards.

Redshade.

I joke about the 'tedium' of it all often. Well, the cretin Marwood does anyway. Truth be told, I love it :cloud9:

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Thanks for the kind words Gaard! If you have signatures turned on, there are links to my DC and Miller Pence threads and my Font Variant thread just under the pretty picture. You might enjoy those too. Charlton is next up. It's going to knock the Marvel one for six(d) (thumbsu

Hi Marwood. Sorry to bother you again but as you are online at the moment could you explain to this old duffer how to access/activate this "signatures" thingy?

8 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Hi Marwood. Sorry to bother you again but as you are online at the moment could you explain to this old duffer how to access/activate this "signatures" thingy?

Yup.

Select 'Signature Settings' from Settings as below:

a2.PNG.445554d0e38a3186eb87191cb937a3ec.PNG

Turn the 'View Signatures' button (shown below) to on / green:

b.PNG.c26899b8e7f00f468b5f0b07c33ec3f6.PNG

You'll then see what everyone has. Mine looks like this:

5a59126cee461_Sigline_LI(2).thumb.jpg.02624e644f223e012ad1471d8853f9f4.jpg

Once on, you can turn individual ones off (e.g. if they're enormous / horrible, as many are) by ticking this button just under the like button:

c.PNG.9983b94dbc94b6badbbd3b54b537fcc0.PNG

Let me know how you get on!:headbang:

4 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Marwood. Got it. Thank you.

Sooper. Miller thread's me favourite, if you're up for a spell of reading (thumbsu

16 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Sooper. Miller thread's me favourite, if you're up for a spell of reading (thumbsu

Thank you for saying how to turn some off, and once some are off it's just as easy to turn those back on?

I like them on but some people that were new to it got carried away the last I had them on..... mouthful 

I probably won't have one... never got around to figuring it out, I assume or hopefully they're just as easy as avatars lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

If that wasn't clear hahaa 

I like some but newbies to it were over exerting it and I didn't want to be one of those just yet :) I liked looking at other's, but wanted a way to turn some off until they got their act together :sumo:                 jk

I'll always turn those back on, but some were hard to scroll by on the phone :foryou:

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If that wasn't clear hahaa 

I like some but newbies to it were over exerting it and I didn't want to be one of those just yet :) I liked looking at other's, but wanted a way to turn some off until they got their act together :sumo:                 jk

I'll always turn those back on, but some were hard to scroll by on the phone :foryou:

Some people's signatures fill a whole page! They all get turned off. Some are great though, and they give you a clue what interests the owner. I like ones with links to interesting threads / websites etc and those with great lines of cool books. They must be sized right though - no one likes uneven pictures :D

I'm on my phone now, so no 'how to' pictures I'm afraid, but once you've turned off a person's sig you can turn it back on by going to 'ignored users' under settings. 

And creating a sig is as easy as creating a post. Try it. Anything you do you can amend or delete. Settings , signature settings, and you'll find a nice big square to fill with words, pics, gifs and links. Have a go Mark!