• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, tv horror said:

Here's a question for you, other than keys do you think that it would be cheaper to collect U.K Silver age runs? I'm feeling like it would be nice to start collecting the Astonish Suspense Strange lines as I've always loved their covers.  

If you mean collecting those titles, rather than true UK copies I wouldn't say cheaper I would much harder.  Not sure they exist in great numbers.

2 hours ago, nmtg9 said:
12 hours ago, tv horror said:

Here's a question for you, other than keys do you think that it would be cheaper to collect U.K Silver age runs? I'm feeling like it would be nice to start collecting the Astonish Suspense Strange lines as I've always loved their covers.  

If you mean collecting those titles, rather than true UK copies I wouldn't say cheaper I would much harder.  Not sure they exist in great numbers.

I agree with nmtg9 TVH (cool avatar by the way nmtg9 (thumbsu)

Whilst pence copies may be cheaper, due to those old factors that still seem to persist to this day, the pence copies are infinitely rarer. Indeed, if you look at my 'missing list' you'll see that some copies have yet to be confirmed at all:

5a83f71b81ffa_10_10.17PenceMissingList.PNG.53d4954231dfe92615233393c2f7dbcb.PNG

On 2/13/2018 at 8:04 PM, tv horror said:

At the risk of sounding twee the old advice about collecting what you like is the best way to go.

Whilst the print run of pence variants was much smaller than the cents run this scarcity has not in the past translated into higher prices. The pence copies have traditionally sold for 50% - 70% of the cost of their US counterparts. This may be that for various reasons higher grade copies of pence variants are very scarce and I think that in higher grade then they would tend towards nearer the cents prices.

I think Pence copies will be selling for close to, or in some cases, above their cents counterparts, relatively soon.

Part of the stigma was that collectors, certainly those in the US, always assumed these to be UK reprints printed over here after US versions. Those of us old enough to remember the originals know that this is not the case.

This view has been rectified over the years and  the fact that these were printed in the US (sometimes in Canada!) along with the cents copies with the same ads and indicias has long been common knowledge.

This was  "officially " endorsed by Overstreet who acknowledged that these  were printed simultaneously with the US Editions & are now   officially considered "VARIANT" Originals (See Overstreet #41 Article on pages 1010-1038).

I do not have the current (2017) Overstreet but am reliably informed that "Overstreet finally notated pence copies as 1st Print variants of cents copies, in the 2017 Overstreet".

So, lower grade pence copies can still be had for less than similar grade cents copies with higher grade pence copies fetching nearer the cents price. I think that in a few years near parity will be the norm.  

Edited by Redshade

3 hours ago, Redshade said:

At the risk of sounding twee the old advice about collecting what you like is the best way to go.

That was very interesting Redshade and sounds a bit like an uphill climb, so I think I'll just go for the re-printed stories such as the Monsterbus editions which I have already bought.  Then I'll try to find other re-print titles, thanks again for the advice.

614g248D77L.jpg

6187a+823CL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I Still am at a loss on these, years of bad rumors and under appreciation. It is coming to light that these are 1st prints . These have to be the rarest variant there is ! I see most other variants going for a premium over a regular copy . Time will tell but at some point ,these are books to own. The AF #15 5.0 went for a great price but still under the price of a Regular copy.

Greetings All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. 

I know it's a little off topic, but only a little...

Anyone ever seen an Archie pence cover? I hadn't until this morning.

Spotted it on E-bay. It's a dog, really, but I've never seen an Archie pence cover. Didn't know they did any.

Marwood? Will there be an Archie page on your list of other publishers with pence variants? Don't mean to add to your workload (Sterling job so far, BTW). lol

archie-fly6.jpg

Edited by rakehell

Hello Rakehell. welcome to the forum. Now that you've brought it to our attention we'll all be seeing Archie pence issues in our sleep.

But yes, I have seen Archie pence issues before and some Dell and probably others that I can't recall.

And yes, Marwood's work is awe inspiring and not just the vast amounts of research. The technical stuff is way beyond anything that I am capable of vis-a-vis rearranging them all into folders like that.

Show us any more you find. Perhaps Marwood (our glorious Leader) could start another non DC/Marvel thread?

Edited by Redshade

Cheers Redshade. I've seen some Dell as well; a few with just pence & a few with pence and cents. Also some Gold Key & a ton of Charlton.

Marwood deserves serious credit. I'm using his lists to compile my own Excel charts for each publisher, listing price changes by issue number. It's a PITA & I'm only doing about a third of the work because Marwood has already done the hard stuff.

Maybe a miscellaneous pence thread would be an idea. Just to catch all of the oddments.

Anyway...

Getting back on topic. Four of my favourites. These are a good example of the whole black plate swap out idea. Printed at the same time as the 30 cents copies, and, in the case of #s 2, 3 & 4, at the same time as the 35 cent price experiment copies. So, two slug changes.star wars 2.jpg5aa27b01bdb35_starwars3.jpg.10ae82343519dfa428998405c0f084c1.jpg5aa27b0ec1e22_starwars4.jpg.72d8e91f4c4496211a69d957b8a995ac.jpg

star wars 5.jpg

Edited by rakehell
photo sizing/spacing

On 24/02/2018 at 2:37 AM, OrangeCrush said:

Wow, just wanted to give a tip of the hat to such a great thread and the sheer amount of time and research that was put into this topic by Marwood & I. Great work!

Thanks for the kind words OC - it's nice to get some feedback once in a while, You're welcome back any time! (thumbsu

On 07/03/2018 at 10:49 AM, rakehell said:

Greetings All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. 

I know it's a little off topic, but only a little...

Anyone ever seen an Archie pence cover? I hadn't until this morning.

Spotted it on E-bay. It's a dog, really, but I've never seen an Archie pence cover. Didn't know they did any.

Marwood? Will there be an Archie page on your list of other publishers with pence variants? Don't mean to add to your workload (Sterling job so far, BTW). lol

Welcome Rakehell! Thanks for dropping by and welcome to the boards. Sorry I haven't been attending to my thread and your posts - I've got some stuff going on which is taking up most of my time but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I've created a new thread for pence priced variants for other publishers (i.e. not Marvel, DC or Charlton) and have invited you to it. By all means post away there and I promise to join in very soon :headbang:

On 09/03/2018 at 12:19 PM, rakehell said:

Cheers Redshade. I've seen some Dell as well; a few with just pence & a few with pence and cents. Also some Gold Key & a ton of Charlton.

Marwood deserves serious credit. I'm using his lists to compile my own Excel charts for each publisher, listing price changes by issue number. It's a PITA & I'm only doing about a third of the work because Marwood has already done the hard stuff.

Maybe a miscellaneous pence thread would be an idea. Just to catch all of the oddments.

Anyway...

Getting back on topic. Four of my favourites. These are a good example of the whole black plate swap out idea. Printed at the same time as the 30 cents copies, and, in the case of #s 2, 3 & 4, at the same time as the 35 cent price experiment copies. So, two slug changes.

See above!

5 hours ago, rakehell said:

Found another Archie...archiejb47.thumb.jpg.09ffa3006ca00cc2bb8e205a75164f3f.jpg

The Fly above was released in May, 1960. Archie's Joke Book 47 was July, 1960. Don't know if that's indicative of anything yet.

Excellent book! Pretty much all pence printed variants started around May 1960. I'm doing a piece on it in my forthcoming Charlton thread so keep watching. I won't be away too much longer hopefully. :wishluck:

Before I disappear again - sorry, flying visit - here's a Marvel you don't see often:

kco95.thumb.jpg.99c22ca4d3a568820670d319300f1d44.jpg

kco95i.thumb.jpg.3074d3a2fbd26b59824b8510730db1bb.jpg

First one I've held in my hands. Gloriously tatty, but aren't they all?

I've got a book from the missing list coming in the post so, all being well, my next post here should be to confirm we're up to 3,008 :headbang:

See ya!

On 08/03/2018 at 7:27 PM, Redshade said:

And yes, Marwood's work is awe inspiring and not just the vast amounts of research. The technical stuff is way beyond anything that I am capable of vis-a-vis rearranging them all into folders like that.

Stoppit Stephen, you're making me blush! :$ :foryou:

On 08/03/2018 at 7:27 PM, Redshade said:

Perhaps Marwood (our glorious Leader) could start another non DC/Marvel thread?

Here she be: :headbang:

Glorious leader? hm

:takeit: