• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, GARYSTAR said:

The confirmed pence list is a great piece of work, I had assumed that common titles like FF or Spider-man had pence copies of all distributed issues. No work for me today so just spent morning comparing pence list to my comics and they match almost exactly, as I collected most of my silver age collection in UK pre-internet I have a lot of pence issues but my pence/cents list mirrors Marwood's. I noticed a number of issues you list as no pence copies Duncan McAlpine's guides show as scarce or uncommon in UK, my copies of several of these are unstamped cents copies making me wonder whether there are more UK non-distributed issues than previous guides have suggested. I could only find one pence issue in my collection your list isn't showing, I can't believe its not common in UK so probably glitch in your list. (What a bargain, Barry Windsor-Smith double sized issue for 6p!)

Cheers Gary!

The Conan 11 is a typo - I do have that on the master list, just a slip on the numbered list so it's still 72 issues:

Conan The Barbarian

11-35, 41-53, 57-81, 121-129

conan.thumb.PNG.ba6c1ca14121f679de214db46397c3a4.PNG

I've shared emails with Duncan McAlpine a few times down the years - he was very complimentary about my research and at one point offered to add it to his site but then we lost touch. I think he's a very talented, busy man and spends less time on comics now than perhaps he did in the past. His site is great, but it has many errors. It also sometimes clouds the distinction between non distributed cents copies and pence priced copies, a common issue with all pence research that I've seen. In my world, there are only pence printed copies and cents copies. Cents copies which did or did not come to the UK, stamped or otherwise, are still cents copies. The non-distributed aspect is interesting historically as to why certain books were hard to find over here but, in my view, all books are now freely available via online mechanisms so it's a bit of a moot point.

Keep posting Gary. The fact that your collection numbers mirrors my list is further evidence of its integrity. Hopefully, the best (only?) online list in the world :headbang:

Cheers, Steve

20 minutes ago, GARYSTAR said:

The confirmed pence list is a great piece of work

...and don't forget to check out my other pence threads if you have other publishers in your collection Gary - you can access them from my signature line at the bottom of each of my posts (if you have them turned on) or from the 'about me' page of my profile:

am.thumb.PNG.3d944382e74ed140da56c5d73d060ec7.PNG

1 minute ago, Harry Lime said:

Have you got any Yuan priced variants, Steve?

Don tak tha pi Hah 

wahthafah.PNG.093be884bc2c538a2dc0b0ba4d6a5a2f.PNG

Edited by Get Marwood & I

My collection, bar a few Adams Batman trades, is all Marvel. As collection has grown and also branched into Marvel memorabilia I've had to make room by letting go of everything bar main collection so sorry can't help with other publishers. There are still silver age westerns and humour mags I look out for so if I come across any more pence copies from your list I'll post. 

On 7/20/2018 at 11:36 AM, GARYSTAR said:

My collection, bar a few Adams Batman trades, is all Marvel. As collection has grown and also branched into Marvel memorabilia I've had to make room by letting go of everything bar main collection so sorry can't help with other publishers. There are still silver age westerns and humour mags I look out for so if I come across any more pence copies from your list I'll post. 

Thanks Gary.

@tv horror Maurice and I were discussing this book by PM recently, currently on eBay for a comparatively eye watering sum:

tgk63.thumb.PNG.17ff42604ebde72d1668ca9a34f9fa1b.PNG

Ordinarily I would pick copies like this up for under ten pounds just for research - to post here and have for the files. Those days seem to be fading as I've noticed an increase in books selling for more and more lately. Modesty aside, I wonder if these threads actually draw attention to the scarcity of these books and perhaps influence some sellers? I always assume only three men and a dog read my pence threads but maybe they are actually part of the cause for the wider recognition?

When I was a Spidey completist group member we would say that it's best to keep quiet on discoveries and trends until you have the books yourself. I like to share info however but I'm wondering now if I'm my own worse enemy by posting this stuff! Still, I only collect the Millers, Charltons and a few other pence publishers now. Though I wish I had done so sooner, the Marvel and DC boat of opportunity has long since sailed and only a lottery win would push me to go for the pence sets there (3,017 pence and 839 DC).

Ah well...

Have a search of eBay uk Two Gun Kid 64 for an even more eye popping asking price. I used to set my upper limit for westerns and sgt fury at 50p (pence,  cents, condition unimportant) and was still picking them up at that price into the early 2000s which makes It hard to comprehend asking prices such as these.

The vast knowledge of all things comics by the guys on this site is what attracted me, and i’m Sure many others, to it so please keep sharing. 

54 minutes ago, GARYSTAR said:

Have a search of eBay uk Two Gun Kid 64 for an even more eye popping asking price. I used to set my upper limit for westerns and sgt fury at 50p (pence,  cents, condition unimportant) and was still picking them up at that price into the early 2000s which makes It hard to comprehend asking prices such as these.

The vast knowledge of all things comics by the guys on this site is what attracted me, and i’m Sure many others, to it so please keep sharing. 

That TGK 64 for £350 has been up for over a year. It's a fairly common issue, so the price is ridiculous even if it is 'NM'. At least the #63 is a scarce book which hardly ever comes up as a pence or cents copy. Either way, the prices are increasing so my days of picking up cheap copies for research are under threat. Given that we're talking westerns, the phrase 'dagnabit' seems appropriate...

On 6/9/2018 at 12:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers Jim!

When you look at the updated chart, it's easy to see why you'd put your money on certain books not existing:

mp.thumb.PNG.7e8bf5d901de6c9406f3e330a65a49a7.PNG

Further to the above speculation, when you see the same books crop up, with the same gaps, it cements the theory still further:

1448142893_kco919698.thumb.PNG.bd4c5ba0d039ef46524caa7aa1483b56.PNG

This seller has (had) 3 pence KCO's, and none happened to be 90, 92, 93 or 94. Again.....

It doesn't mean they definitely don't exist, but it does strengthen the theory a little. Time will tell, when it learns how to speak. 

Further to the previous post, and sticking to the subject of what may or may not exist, I think I've made a bit of a breakthrough in my research :)

In my 'font variations' thread, I posted yesterday that I was compiling a summary of all the early Marvels which I had found to have US Cents price font variations - here's the post:

In it I say "There is a tangible link, oddly enough (given it's me) to the presence or otherwise of pence priced books"

Have a look at this extract from the summary chart I have produced for some of the 'funny girl' titles (sorry I can't enlarge it):

1792485946_missinglist.thumb.PNG.6e7a473eaac1de26f87e47642f0caf3b.PNG

I have yet to find a pence copy for 'A Date With Millie', 'Kathy' and 'Love Romances'. Look at the summary and you'll see that every cents copy has the same 10c US font. I have found no variations of them. Each has this style of bold 10c font: 1799940170_6USFatcrop.PNG.c01982acd3ea0f6c77c9d922c7ded916.PNG

Now look at 'My Girl Pearl', 'Patsy And Hedy' and 'Patsy Walker'. In all three cases, the presence of a confirmed pence price has a corresponding cents price with a different font to the US copies that have no pence copy. For the pence copies, I have found no examples of the bold 10c font style - only the style that mirrors the pence font.

Where there is a pence copy, the US cents font mirrors it. Where there is no confirmed pence copy, the cents font reverts to the bold 10c style only.

The pattern is so clear and consistent that it could be argued that the presence of this font style 1799940170_6USFatcrop.PNG.c01982acd3ea0f6c77c9d922c7ded916.PNG for these titles indicates no pence copy will be found hm

Here's an enlarged shot of 'Patsy & Hedy'. If my theory holds water, we'll never find a pence copy of 72, 73 or 74:

pah.PNG.2aac4fb6a26cfc6383d677a60e45ac68.PNG

It's still early days though, and I have 20 titles to process in the font variation research, but I thought this was a significant enough early observation to share. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

somewhat off-topic, but kinda related...

message sent to Customer Service...

After perusing the census at length, I've concluded that the census differentiates between the US & UK versions on SOME comics but not all. Can you tell me if that is correct?

Example: X-men #101 - the census differentiates between the two, but Rawhide Kid #38 - it doesn't.

Thanks,
Mike

47 minutes ago, Gaard said:

somewhat off-topic, but kinda related...

message sent to Customer Service...

After perusing the census at length, I've concluded that the census differentiates between the US & UK versions on SOME comics but not all. Can you tell me if that is correct?

Example: X-men #101 - the census differentiates between the two, but Rawhide Kid #38 - it doesn't.

Thanks,
Mike

If it's about pence books, it's on topic here. Let us know if you get a response Mike :wishluck: