• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2019 at 2:55 AM, Aman619 said:

Problem for the UK here was that given their large masthead, the art area left over was very square.  They couldn’t fit the vertical US cover artwork in the square box. Normally they just take what they were given and reduce the size to crop something out to fill the wider shorter area.  But on this cover, they have to cut off the dead body, OR, Spidey!  Looks like they ponied up the dough to have somebody add some artwork on the right. 

doh!:roflmao::makepoint:

Edited by Redshade

I don’t know why you are laughing.  The first book you showed last week with test tubes etc is the only one yet that looks like they had access to wider artwork. All the rest, especially these last three Marvels are just a little studio work to extend or modify the US artwork.  Nothing very technical was created at all. 

And, further strengthening my argument of simple extension of what was given to them to fill their cover area is the Spidey cover. Look at the upper left bkgnd of NYC buildings.  It’s all different to the left of the word balloon (that was incorporated into what they were given which is why it remains in exact same position, and not added as an overlay like when they moved the word balloons in the test tube cover on Astounding #1). They needed to recreate the buildings that would have been UNDER the corner box because they did not have access to the artwork under it — because it was never drawn.  So they replaced that whole area with a few amateurish lines.  Same level of talent that extended the sides.  The brick wall technique is completely different, not drawn as one wall area by the same hand. 

Look at the DD cover... they replaced the whole trap door area.  And added a few floor lines off to the right to finish off that area. This is pen and ink work a pasteup bullpen jockey could do in a half hour. Tops.  Find more like the astounding #1 that are harder to take apart please. 

30 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

as for the Batman cover.  I think ANYONE could have reduced Batwoman's sign shape and added a few shading lines off to the right edge.

batmancover.jpg

As I stated above there are thousands of examples in the GCD. I'm sorry Aman but I fear that this conversation is going nowhere. Good day sir.

well, I suspect the answer rests as a publisher by publisher thing. I dont know these smaller and foreign publishers, but I know about pre press  work and how the artwork becomes a printed cover. IF the american publishers asked for or were given artwork with plenty of extra art (bleed) in the pieces delivered to them, AND it was supplied overseas, the result would explain why cropping took place. Clearly we have seen such from Charlton.  Their practices were much looser than DC and Marvel and may in fact have worked with wider drawn art at their directions or by the artists.  

but none of the other examples needed wider art to extend the peripheral areas at all. 

and overall, Im just pointing out what was done on covers you have contributed, no reflection on you personally. No need to get al TOOTSIE on me!  : )  "I said GOOD DAY sir!"

On 5/5/2019 at 9:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

In the case of pence variants, the books themselves have been around for nearly 60 years! Whether it has taken 58 or 59 of them for the grading companies to catch up, I'm not too fussed. The fact that they are correctly labelling them now is the good news. 

Forgive me if this has been pointed out but these UK Pence Variants were also newsstand editions. I hope this is also picked up on with the new nomenclature.

7 hours ago, Redshade said:

Forgive me if this has been pointed out but these UK Pence Variants were also newsstand editions. I hope this is also picked up on with the new nomenclature.

This is only really relevant for the tail end (late 70's early 80's?) of the single price pence variants. Prior to that, there was no direct market for comics in the UK. Not sure when the first dedicated comic shop opened here, but it was all newsstand in the early years.

48 minutes ago, rakehell said:

This is only really relevant for the tail end (late 70's early 80's?) of the single price pence variants. Prior to that, there was no direct market for comics in the UK. Not sure when the first dedicated comic shop opened here, but it was all newsstand in the early years.

Morning Rakehell.

You are quite right of course, I should have made my meaning more evident. Up until July 1979 all UK editions were newsstand editions. It was the very short period between then and the onset of dual pricing in Jan 1982 that  UK pence variants had the barcode struck through identifying them as direct editions. What I meant to say was that the vast majority of all pence editions were newsstand editions. (I hope that that doesn't sound too pompous, I'm a bit foggy until my second cup of coffee:)).

Edited by Redshade

1 hour ago, Redshade said:

What I meant to say was that the vast majority of all pence editions were newsstand editions. (I hope that that doesn't sound too pompous, I'm a bit foggy until my second cup of coffee:)).

I thought that's what you meant. I hope I didn't come across as overly pedantic. I have a similar pre-coffee condition, we only differ in quantity. I'm foggy until about halfway through my second pot(thumbsu

On 5/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, xcomic said:

These indicia scans were shared with me today by Paw K.  The first is the Journey Into Mystery #65 Pence Price Variant:

JIM-65-indicia.thumb.jpg.85b897e361dfe4e5704e912c00f27784.jpg

Second is the Tales To Astonish #16 "No Cover Price" Variant:

TTA-16-NO-PRICE-indicia.thumb.jpg.cd201c3b90199982165b179ce1e32154.jpg

Cheers Ben! Two more for the pence pot :)

Here's a nice misprinted pence copy of TTA #40, currently on eBay:

417518273_printerror.jpg.6dc68e09b4feeb7a53bd87d3635bf874.jpg

I'd buy it if it wasn't so damn expensive. When did these books become so expensive? I don't like it. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:36 AM, Redshade said:

212.thumb.jpg.f31e45858fb2b4cec2d4edd78a3ccc8a.jpg 212.jpg.03b91f65350bbf2f452d63e104cdd49f.jpg 212b.thumb.jpg.e5957fff208b3225b09723f6a33acb4c.jpg

hm

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

212.thumb.jpg.f31e45858fb2b4cec2d4edd78a3ccc8a.jpg 212.jpg.03b91f65350bbf2f452d63e104cdd49f.jpg 212b.thumb.jpg.e5957fff208b3225b09723f6a33acb4c.jpg

hm

Hello Steve. I trust that you had an enjoyable holiday?

Rakehell has already pointed this out. When I mentioned the barcode strike-through I should have mentioned that some had the Spidey face as well, although my point was that the vast majority of all pence editions were newsstand editions.:foryou:

On 5/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, Redshade said:

Hello Steve. I trust that you had an enjoyable holiday?

I did thanks Stephen, yes. Very relaxing. I found an old shop on the coast and my God if it didn't have a load of old pence copies in a box on the floor. AF#15, ASM#1, Gorgo#6. I couldn't believe it. Shame I had to wake up really... 

But it was a nice dream while it lasted 112795559_DrWhoIsolated.gif.85eae82609cf29c87101f4e3c6be1055.gif

On 5/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, Redshade said:

Rakehell has already pointed this out. When I mentioned the barcode strike-through I should have mentioned that some had the Spidey face as well, although my point was that the vast majority of all pence editions were newsstand editions.:foryou:

Yes, I know. Any excuse to post a picture though, eh? Especially one with a 'newsstand' price box and a 'direct edition' UPC.....

hm

I was hoping to snag a 9d JIM#58 while I was away, having had one cruelly snatched from my grasp by a last minute off the books accepted offer a week earlier (don't you hate that? Especially when it's not you doing the offering?). Alas, I was then outbid on the second copy that surfaced. A bit like buses these books, they come along in pairs, after ten year waits:

jim58.thumb.PNG.c031bdf44b5416f1f3663eb2e39ae7f7.PNG

I'll get one one day. Hopefully. 

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I did thanks Stephen, yes. Very relaxing. I found an old shop on the coast and my God if it didn't have a load of old pence copies in a box on the floor. AF#15, ASM#1, Gorgo#6. I couldn't believe it. Shame I had to wake up really... 

But it was a nice dream while it lasted 112795559_DrWhoIsolated.gif.85eae82609cf29c87101f4e3c6be1055.gif

Yes, I know. Any excuse to post a picture though, eh? Especially one with a 'newsstand' price box and a 'direct edition' UPC.....

hm

I was hoping to snag a 9d JIM#58 while I was away, having had one cruelly snatched from my grasp by a last minute off the books accepted offer a week earlier (don't you hate that? Especially when it's not you doing the offering?). Alas, I was then outbid on the second copy that surfaced. A bit like buses these books, they come along in pairs, after ten year waits:

I'll get one one day. Hopefully. 

They are getting too expensive to take a chance on raw copies from civilian sellers where  "an excellent looking comic" invariably turns out to be absolute $h*te.

I bagged this one at the weekend although it has not arrived yet. Someone somewhere really doesn't like NRs.

ttttaa.jpg

1 minute ago, Redshade said:

They are getting too expensive to take a chance on raw copies from civilian sellers where  "an excellent looking comic" invariably turns out to be absolute $h*te.

I bagged this one at the weekend although it has not arrived yet. Someone somewhere really doesn't like NRs.

ttttaa.jpg

Begone UK Edition! Is thou not a UK price variant!  :bigsmile:

14 minutes ago, rakehell said:

Professional looking job either way. And a mix of cents and pence copies I see, so likely bound in the UK. Interesting item