• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Even better.

Take that!

247557457_WonderComics8(6dinGt_Br.).thumb.jpg.e15bc32d0b444957bdc80d3734084e4d.jpg  1026481892_WonderComics810cCopyB.jpg.8f9f12d1b056e380c345e36f82412cdb.jpg

hm

That is quite remarkable although I am not too erudite in this area. Is the the first ever pence "variant" "?" (Oct 1946 according to the GCD which does not have an image of it)?

Edited by Redshade

8 hours ago, rakehell said:
20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Even better.

Take that!

247557457_WonderComics8(6dinGt_Br.).thumb.jpg.e15bc32d0b444957bdc80d3734084e4d.jpg  1026481892_WonderComics810cCopyB.jpg.8f9f12d1b056e380c345e36f82412cdb.jpg

I knew it! :headbang:

Intriguing isn't it. I found the images online some time back and on first glance thought it looked like a 'proper' price variant. Everything looks the same (front and back) and the UK price sits alongside the 10c price indicating that it might not be a reprint. I ran it by Andy @goldust who knows much more than me about the history of comics and he advised it was a Canadian book printed at the same time as the Canadian copy, but with a 6d price added for the UK market.

It's the only one of it's kind that I've seen and I doubt I'll ever get the chance to buy both to compare them. Being Canadian, it sits outside of my research strand anyway (UK price variants of US published / printed material) so it's not like it's the eighth confirmed publisher or anything. Interesting difference in the colouring between the two copies, although that could be the image / scanner. 

56 minutes ago, rakehell said:

Anyone else watching this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-OF-VISTA-ATLAS-THORPE-PORTER-COMICS-1960s-SILVER-AGE-VERY-GOOD/143331721027?hash=item215f3c7f43:g:Az0AAOSw5eRdL5DD

I was really keen when it started at £19. Went a bit nuts overnight. Sigh...:whatthe:

If they weren't they are now Rake!

Nice to see so many pence copies together like that isn't it. Not the best condition from the looks of it and a few appear to be suffering from some dodgy trimming with garden shears. 

A good set to snag low, but these pre- hero pence copies rarely go low anymore, alas. 

On 6/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks to those who spotted and liked my two Marvel test galleries in the gallery section. What I'd like to do is post all 3,019 of the scans I have in the files, and then move on to the other 6 publishers. The gallery format isn't working out for me though, so it's currently on hold. I have some questions out with the admin team but I'm finding it really hard to get any dialogue going lately. Hopefully I'll get somewhere with them - it would be nice to see all 5,000+ images up on the site in an easily accessible format. Wish me luck!

Arch tried to help (:headbang:) but the limitations of the current board gallery software as it stands makes the task of adding 5,000 images in the order / format I want too onerous alas. Back to the drawing board...

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Arch tried to help (:headbang:) but the limitations of the current board gallery software as it stands makes the task of adding 5,000 images in the order / format I want too onerous alas. Back to the drawing board...

You need minions.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:41 AM, rakehell said:

Anyone else watching this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-OF-VISTA-ATLAS-THORPE-PORTER-COMICS-1960s-SILVER-AGE-VERY-GOOD/143331721027?hash=item215f3c7f43:g:Az0AAOSw5eRdL5DD

I was really keen when it started at £19. Went a bit nuts overnight. Sigh...:whatthe:

Sold for £441, about £40 each (I can do maths and everything me). Not sure why, but there's something about them. I suspect trimming and hidden stuff. I'm not sure this lot was a bargain really. 

These arrived today. They are lower grade but all sound inside except for browning to edges. No internal cut-outs, writing, tears or folds etc. This was a private "classified" purchase and as I think that they are all hovering around 3.0-3.5 that both parties got a fair deal at £10 ea +pp. (Phew, I had to unplug the fan to connect my scanner and it ain't half 'ot in 'ere now. Soon be time for a refreshing snifter). Any opinions at all greatly accepted.

EDIT. There should be five comics (29,30,32,33,34) so I don't know what went wrong there. I'm b*ggered if I'm unplugging the fan again.

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Edited by Redshade