• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, r100comics said:

Excellent research and analysis ! (worship)

Point 7 ties to the fact that I was once told that Thor #304 & #305 were N.D. (non-distributed) in the UK.

They are cover dated Feb & March 1981.  

Thanks!

Yep, you won't find Thor 304 or 305 for that reason. Or 300 it seems, probably because it was a double size issue.

Here are the titles with no pence issues at all - but I'm always happy to be corrected!

Titles With No Pence Printed Price Issues Produced / Found

A Date With Millie

Adventures On The Planet Of The Apes

Amazing Adventures Feat. X-Men

America's Best TV Comics

ARRGH!

Battle

Beware!

Captain Savage

The Cat

Chili

Combat Kelly & The Deadly Dozen

Crazy

The Deep

Dennis The Menace

Devil Dinosaur

Doc Savage

Doctor Strange (1st Series)

Dragonslayer

Dynomutt

Fantasy Masterpieces (2nd Series)

The Flintstones

For Your Eyes Only

Francis, Brother Of The Universe

Fun & Games Magazine

Giant Size.. Titles

Godzilla

Groovy

Gunhawks

Gun-Slinger

Harvey

Homer The Happy Ghost

Iron Man & Sub-Mariner

Island of Dr. Moreau

Kathy

Ka-Zar (1st Series)

King Conan

Laff-A-Lympics

Life With Millie

Li'l Kids

Li'l Pals

Linda Carter, Student Nurse

Love Romances

Mad About Millie

Man From Atlantis

Marvel Adventure Featuring Daredevil

Marvel Collector's Item Classics

Marvel Feature 

Marvel Spectacular

Mighty Marvel Western

Millie The Model

Modeling With Millie

My Love

My Own Romance

Nick Fury Agent Of Shield

Night Nurse

Our Love Story

The Outlaw Kid

Patsy Walker

Patsy Walker's Fashion Parade

Peter The Little Pest / Petey

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Red Wolf

Ringo Kid

Scooby-Doo

Shanna The She-Devil

S.H.I.E.L.D, Nick Fury And His Agents Of 

Special Marvel Edition

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends

Spidey Super Stories

Spoof

Spotlight (Hannah-Barbera)

Tales of Asgard

Teen-Age Romance

Tower Of Shadows

TV Stars, Hanna-Barbera

Uncanny Tales (From The Grave)

War Is Hell

Western Gunfighters

Western Kid

Western Team-Up

What If?

Where Creatures Roam

Yogi Bear

21 hours ago, r100comics said:

Was there ever a pence Conan #1 ? 

There was a lot of debate on here a while back with people offering bucks if someone could find one....hm

If there is one, it's very well hidden. The first pence Conan is number 11 at 6p.  The date, Nov 71, coincides with the introduction of decimalisation prices so you can kind of see the natural starting point there.

conan.thumb.PNG.df95d71b1c3f1243cec6d33d0da77b18.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I
Added a pretty picture

5 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I just sent a low grade TTA 35 pence version to Mycomicshop on consignment if anyone is interested. It will be available in a week or so.

If I didn't already have a scan of one, I'd be on it!

35.thumb.jpg.36f8f36c2ee3e9e92b155e13b931e95f.jpg

On 3/10/2017 at 5:40 AM, Marwood & I said:

Almost every title which crosses the cover dates of October 1966 to December 1966 has a two issue Pence gap. This may explain why ASM Completists haven’t found #42 and #43 yet. They probably don’t exist. Ditto Avengers 33/34, Daredevil 21/22, Fantastic Four 56/57, Sgt Fury 35/36, Tales To Astonish 85/86. However, Strange Tales only misses one issue (#151) as does Tales of Suspense (#84). Two-Gun Kid has all issues as Pence copy but as a bi-monthly title you can see there may have been a missing issue had it been monthly

So in instances like this, the books (e.g. ASM 42 and 43) just weren't sold in the UK or were they sold as regular U.S. cents issues?

If not sold at all, that must have been a little hard on UK fans to miss two issues out of a book's continuity. 

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

So in instances like this, the books (e.g. ASM 42 and 43) just weren't sold in the UK or were they sold as regular U.S. cents issues?

If not sold at all, that must have been a little hard on UK fans to miss two issues out of a book's continuity. 

Well it's a long time since I had the collection but my dad definitely had them in his original collection bought at the time of release.

Don't have them to check but my guess would be that they were stamped copies.

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On 10/03/2017 at 10:40 AM, Marwood & I said:

Almost every title which crosses the cover dates of October 1966 to December 1966 has a two issue Pence gap. This may explain why ASM Completists haven’t found #42 and #43 yet. They probably don’t exist. Ditto Avengers 33/34, Daredevil 21/22, Fantastic Four 56/57, Sgt Fury 35/36, Tales To Astonish 85/86. However, Strange Tales only misses one issue (#151) as does Tales of Suspense (#84). Two-Gun Kid has all issues as Pence copy but as a bi-monthly title you can see there may have been a missing issue had it been monthly

The US copies were imported during the gaps so you got your comic in the end. I've added a scan of my old stamped copy of #42 below. Over here, you'll only ever see US cents copies or stamped US cents copies:

43.thumb.jpg.f2b389625cf23d7da0acb765bd29e518.jpg

7 hours ago, kryptospidey said:

I'm not a Pence collector but THIS is definitely one interesting read. I love learning new information in a hobby that i've been involved in for 30+ years.

Thanks @kryptospidey (thumbsu

I managed to get two issues on the 'missing' list this weekend - Kid Colt #91 and 96 (scans below)

This means we now have 2,995 confirmed pence printed issues:

y.PNG.7d97b0cbf98e5cc7fa15117890ed5f67.PNG

I'm hoping the existence of the 91 means that 90 and 92-95 also exist, so will keep looking out for them. That would take us to a round 3,000 comics.

Here's the updated 'missing' list:

y3.PNG.905e868c183984aa776f1842ec85826f.PNG

Dive in if you have a pence copy of any of these.

Oh, and here are my two lovely Kids:

91.thumb.jpg.6eecf459868f2d029d6c3565433864f9.jpg

96.thumb.jpg.5d3a4c1a72b154c173e64a86c15f1b57.jpg

Aren't they good looking kids!

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, kryptospidey said:

I'm not a Pence collector but THIS is definitely one interesting read. I love learning new information in a hobby that i've been involved in for 30+ years.

@kryptospidey, you might enjoy this thread too - it has a related 'UK' theme: