• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

The indicia search is coming along nicely by the way. It's difficult to complete, as so many of the books I need to see inside are next to impossible to find, let alone get shots of their indicias. I was hoping to find a few at the London Fair yesterday but had no luck

Still, I think I'm nearly there. 

Here's the current (work in progress) '4 of 7' page:

1552182058_4of7.thumb.PNG.03e032817a7cfc540d3b752c4bfa2ecd.PNG

As I've probably mentioned once or thrice, this research strand crashes into my font work and also helps to inform the 'what pence copies may or may not exist' work. When the JIM #65 appeared last month (see previous posts) that blew a hole in my long held theory that JIM #64 & 65 did not get the pence treatment. But now that #65 has surfaced it now seems likely that #64 will too.

Look at JIM #64 on the page there above, conspicuous as a copy where the US version has a Thorpe & Porter interior. It makes more sense for it to have a pence copy and to move across accordingly

(Anyone reading have a cents Kid Colt Outlaw #96 that they can post a shot of the indicia please? It should have the T&P wording)

As it stands, every Marvel issue cover dated January to April 1961, where there is a pence copy in existence, has the T&P indicia in both cents and pence copies. So it seems likely therefore that JIM #64 will eventually join his colleagues in the pence column doesn't it?

Hope you can follow what I'm saying here. When I have gathered a few more books I will post all the conclusions here. There are always exceptions in this kind of research I find - you can see on the page above that JIM #67 has no T&P indicia in cents or pence copies - but the overall picture is fairly robust / telling.

I know this is not a subject that will interest many but I enjoy doing it and, to my knowledge, I don't think anyone else has ever looked at this. Lot's of interesting stuff in them folders below...

ind1.thumb.PNG.c4ea4a27f6fbe784c4ef8244cf6f05dd.PNG 

Comic minutiae :cloud9:

Joking aside, this is a significant find here. God, I wish there were some people on this board who understood / appreciated it. 

11 hours the chart lasted lasted. Eleven hours!

4o7.thumb.PNG.627ff6d699e27bdad94eca6323ef013a.PNG

Only been looking for it for ten years!

Dexter.gif.125c93f77c7fcabdd939f943160edc54.gif

Edited by Get Marwood & I
I wrote the chart and the, chart won. I wrote the chart and the, chart won.

I salute your diligent work into yet another rabbit hole this hobby presents :headbang:

That's a pretty nice copy of JIM64 no matter what the currency!

So what conclusions does this data point provide? This related to the fractured distribution system that occurred after the Atlas Implosion or a devious plot by our Lizard Overlords?

1 minute ago, bc said:

I salute your diligent work into yet another rabbit hole this hobby presents :headbang:

So what conclusions does this data point provide? This related to the fractured distribution system that occurred after the Atlas Implosion or a devious plot by our Lizard Overlords?

It's got to be the Lizard Overlords hasn't it. 

Image result for the lizard ditko spiderman

Amazing (Adventures L Miller Indicia Copies) that they keep turning up abroad isn't it. We only need Wyatt now and I can retire! :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I wish there were some people on this board who understood / appreciated it. 

You have my support Steve, I'm just sorry I don't know enough about comics to help you, although if you need me to troll Ebay I'm your man...My doctor recommends retail therapy for my LITTLE problem.:bigsmile: 

9389f56e32eaea50073e46cd46918155.gif

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Joking aside, this is a significant find here. God, I wish there were some people on this board who understood / appreciated it. 

I appreciate it, but as I don't understand it as well as you do, I'm not fully aware...

I'm really just a big giant purple people eater! :ohnoez:

5 hours ago, bc said:

Your Lizard Overlords will reveal their intent when they are good and ready.  :sumo: 

49 minutes ago, rakehell said:

I both understand and appreciate your work, Steve. I just like to stand silently in the corner, watching...

:fear:

I know Stephen, I know. But when people find JIM 64s and 65s only instant gratification will do :bigsmile:

28 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

From GCD so it does in fact exist.

Cover for Wyatt Earp (Marvel, 1955 series) #29 [British]

Yep, that's the image that currently sits in the files. It's the only pence image I've ever seen, never mind the comic itself! Such a tough book - I'm dying to see whether it will have a Miller or a Thorpe & Porter indicia. After all this time, knowing my luck, it will have neither!

24 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep, that's the image that currently sits in the files. It's the only pence image I've ever seen, never mind the comic itself! Such a tough book - I'm dying to see whether it will have a Miller or a Thorpe & Porter indicia. After all this time, knowing my luck, it will have neither!

I'm completely confused.  Why do you call these "pence priced variants" when they are, in fact, UK editions published by UK publishers?

I've not heard the term "variant" applied to a "foreign edition," not do I think it should be.  A "variant" is a U.S. edition that "varies" from the regular U.S. print run, either in content or price.

Here's a fun eBay story (is there another kind? 9_9)

Browsing away, I spot a KCO #97 with a 9d price on the bay. Terrible looking listing, tatty looking comic. But I collect the Kid in pence, and my current copy looks like this:

97.thumb.jpg.19721246fbb62ff405525d40a8295f47.jpg

Quite ironic that a book famed for it's 'hand written issue number' has been subsequently scribbled on!

Anyway, because my copy is defaced, I bid on the other eBay copy and, despite a halfhearted attempt I win it for £8.61. Being of weary mind at the time, I see the same seller has a listing for, '3x vintage Superman comics'. Two are showing, one is not. The two look tatty. Curious as to what the third might be, I bid the 99p current price.

And win, at 99p! Yay! :)

So, I pay for both lots and incur double postage costs in doing so as I can't be bothered to wait for a combined invoice. You do that sometimes, don't you, when it's £1.26. Don't you?

Anyway, they turn up, in the crappiest envelope ever. The Kid looks like this:

97.thumb.jpg.9b7ede883beced6fbce39b3d084816b7.jpg

OK, not great, but no writing (apart from the 'handwritten issue number' that is).

Now, the two 'vintage' Supes are present, and they suck. 1986 'vintage'. But what's this - five additional books, one an old sixties Batman! The other books are terrible, suitable only for lining a budgie cage, and I leave the seller feedback thanking him for the 'freebies' which I assumed he added out of embarrassment given the state of the aforementioned 'vintage Supermans' (which I throw in the bin, with the freebies.

I then get this eBay message from the seller. And I quote "send back purple vintage batman comic"

Yes, just that. And then two more messages, giving me the address and telling me effectively to 'do it now'. No apologies, but my return postage 'will be refunded'. After I've sent them back.

Laughing my sorry arse off, I duly return all the 'freebies' in a sturdy card backed envelope paying for recorded delivery 'as requested'. I note that three of the books that I was sent in error are still listed by the seller, and one has sold! Someone with a budgie I ponder.

Days pass, and the recorded delivery confirmation tells me they have been delivered so I enquire accordingly with the seller - "Did you get the books back?"

His reply (in full): "yes"

I'm going to leave it there, as there is a swearing filter on the boards and I want to keep my record clean for judgement day (it's a coming). But it turned out that the seller had 'broken his arm' and was in 'a lot of pain' so I decided to withdraw graciously.

Did you enjoy that story? It's moral is simple. Don't bid on a whim on comics that look like horse sh:censored: on the off chance of getting something exciting.  Even if it comes with a 9d Kid with a hand written issue number.

Nothing more will I teach you today

2083540917_YodaWaiting.gif.594e8048e47d2bf8139253db4cbe48ea.gif

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm completely confused.  Why do you call these "pence priced variants" when they are, in fact, UK editions published by UK publishers?

I've not heard the term "variant" applied to a "foreign edition," not do I think it should be.  A "variant" is a U.S. edition that "varies" from the regular U.S. print run, either in content or price.

Hello Ducky :)

I call them "pence priced variants" because:

• They are first printings, produced in the US of A at the same time, in the same location, and on the same printing presses as their cents counterparts (according to online folklore)
  • They have differences and therefore 'vary' from the cents copies
  • They are priced in the currency of the pence

So, "pence priced (the 'd' is important) variants" is factually accurate in my opinion.

"UK Editions" to my mind suggest the UK reprints. 

Now I could call them "Dave" but that would just be silly.

Have I converted you? :)