• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm completely confused.

I'm going for me dinner now Mr D, in case you reply, and I don't, and you think etc <3

11 minutes ago, GARYSTAR said:

hi Steve, here's scan of Kid Colt 96 indicia you sought in earlier post. Well done looks like your long journey (into mystery) may soon be completed.

Cheers Gary - it's actually the cents copy indicia I need to see (nice to see another pence 96 though). If I'm right, the cents copy will have a Thorpe & Porter indicia too :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, GARYSTAR said:

My mistake, still gave me an excuse to go looking through some old comics I don’t usually look at. 

Any excuse :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello Ducky :)

I call them "pence priced variants" because:

• They are first printings, produced in the US of A at the same time, in the same location, and on the same printing presses as their cents counterparts (according to online folklore)
  • They have differences and therefore 'vary' from the cents copies
  • They are priced in the currency of the pence

So, "pence priced (the 'd' is important) variants" is factually accurate in my opinion.

"UK Editions" to my mind suggest the UK reprints. 

Now I could call them "Dave" but that would just be silly.

Have I converted you? :)

You haven't converted me.  Seems like you are just trying to make foreign editions sound like a U.S. comic to American buyers. Since they are published by a foreign publisher for a foreign market, they are just a foreign edition comic to me.  That's not uncommon in the book world.  But it doesn't convert a UK edition into a variant of a U.S. edition or vice versa.  Harry Potter books have first U.S. editions and first U.K. editions, for example.  

I agree that they are not "re-prints" if released at the same time as the U.S. editions.  The term "U.K. reprint" would seem best to describe, well, U.K. reprints.  

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What's up with everyone's stress levels lately?

People - they ruin everything.

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:
6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

• They are first printings, produced in the US of A at the same time, in the same location, and on the same printing presses as their cents counterparts (according to online folklore)

So, "pence priced (the 'd' is important) variants" is factually accurate in my opinion.

You haven't converted me.  Seems like you are just trying to make foreign editions sound like a U.S. comic to American buyers. Since they are published by a foreign publisher for a foreign market, they are just a foreign edition comic to me.  That's not uncommon in the book world.  But it doesn't convert a UK edition into a variant of a U.S. edition or vice versa.  Harry Potter books have first U.S. editions and first U.K. editions, for example.  

I agree that they are not "re-prints" if released at the same time as the U.S. editions.  The term "U.K. reprint" would seem best to describe, well, U.K. reprints.  

Hey fellow duck - you're bucking history. 

They were printed at the same time on the same presses in the same country, but were shipped by slow boat to England and distributed from there.  Or so the history goes.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Hey fellow duck - you're bucking history. 

They were printed at the same time on the same presses in the same country, but were shipped by slow boat to England and distributed from there.  Or so the history goes.

Lots of U.S. comics are printed in other countries, notably Canada, for U.S. publishers.  That doesn't make them U.S. variants of Canadian or Chinese, etc., comics.

Why should a comic printed in the U.S. for a UK publisher become a variant of a U.S. comic?

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I get it now the "d" in priced... that makes sense that there are variables that Change In different pence issues. :foryou:

Well have fun you guys :)

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Lots of U.S. comics are printed in other countries, notably Canada, for U.S. publishers.  That doesn't make them U.S. variants of Canadian or Chinese, etc., comics.

Why should a comic printed in the U.S. for a UK publisher become a variant of a U.S. comic?

You actually just played into what would be my argument. They are just a variant of the same book. Printed on the same presses at the same time.  And, in the case of pence copies, they are much rarer than the U.S. Equivalent.  Remember, printed on the same presses at the same time, so not like they are second printing, done later.

Cheers for holding the fort while the lights were out in Englandville boys @lizards2 @ADAMANTIUM :headbang:

@sfcityduck Sorry I couldn't convert you. You were kind enough to dive into my price font thread a while back so I was hoping I might convince you. I like the challenge, but I think my earlier post was clear enough and I can't really add any more to it - they're Marvel books, they're pence priced, and they're variants. The variant word is key for me, as this is the only word that conveys that they are first printings. Many US collectors still believe them to be reprints. 'Editions', 'copies' and such words do not convey what they are for me.

As long as we now both understand what we're talking about, it's OK to have a different view. Take our board titles:

diapers.PNG.7feafdc41f6b5bd9d5e357092aeb57d1.PNG  nappies.PNG.1f633ffad55a4adddbbef005199477f3.PNG

You wear diapers, I wear nappies. Different words for the same thing.

As lizards2 said, "pence variants" is an age old collectors term now. Maybe one day CGC will get around to considering it too. Maybe they won't. I understand what they mean by "UK Edition", but I don't think it is an accurate enough description. I try to make my descriptions as factually accurate as possible. Hence thread titles like:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/406704-marvel-oct-1999-~-feb-2000-newsstand-price-variants/

and

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/412313-marvel-price-font-variations-jun-1960-~-feb-1961/

and

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/404397-marvel-first-printing-australian-priced-variants/

See - I don't just do pence books you know 

Anyway, have a good day boys. The sun is shining for once. I'm off to work now (how else can I afford to spend £8.61 on crappy 9d KCO's?) :)

On 4/8/2019 at 6:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello :)

Someone posted this Strange Tales the other day and reminded us that it had two US prices on it:

1134080642_86doubleprice.jpg.061b7f95f120dececf7bd016fbd76c37.jpg

Cool isn't it.

I like the fact that someone actually spotted this when they made the pence copy:

• Change price 
  • Remove month
  • Remove second price!

86.jpg.cd84aa2713101dfd0b5afc73b6f039aa.jpg 1134080642_86doubleprice.jpg.061b7f95f120dececf7bd016fbd76c37.jpg

I always thought there was something odd about the 9d price on this one. White box in a blue circle. Why not white box in the existing black circle.... hm

One for @Aman619 to ponder :wishluck:

I feel like ive been rumplestilskinned, but in a good way! Ok. Hers what I can add to the blue mystery.  In printing, black ink is the darkest of the 4 inks.  But, even black ink can look NOT dark enough when printed over white paper. The reason has to do with paper stock, even glossy paper, is really at a microscopic scale actually like a lawn of grass.  It’s not perfectly flat, but rather “hairy” as the wood pulp resembles a pile of twigs, or as I said, a lawn of grass.

when the presses lay down the inks, you don’t get total coverage, some of the white shows and reflects light making the black are look not quite black enough.

so printers developed what they called a 4 color black.  That is, when they want a large solid black ares, they print 100% black on top of 40% cyan/blue.  This gets a richer black.  As I describe it, the first ink, the blue presses down the paper fibers, and the they get hit with the black ink and never recover!

so the blue circle could have been a case where the strippers cleaned out the circle from the black plate but forgot to get the blue plate done.  Then they stripped out a white rectangle with the price in it.

whats odder perhaps if how they handled the removal of the ten cents and the month July. They just stripped away the black July, as I’d expect, but used a white box to eliminate the 10C. Which is odd because both were surprinting on the artwork’s light blue dots! They should have used the same solution for each given that they had access to the same film they used to create the US cover printing.  

And another her thing I just noticed.  Both editions have the IND distributor logo. Which is strange ... because IND distributes in the States, and Marvel used British distributor over the pond!  Why leave the IND logo on these books?? Easy enough to,fix while fixing the price etc...

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

This is an important point, but one answered by the fact that the pence variants are variants because they vary. They were not printed for a UK publisher, but for distribution in the UK by a US publisher. They all have cents indicias. All of the foreign books I own have either a foreign indicia or no indicia at all.

The interior pages of the pence variants are identical to the US distributed copies because they came from the same pile at the printers. The only difference to the book as a whole is the price point on the cover.

In my early days in the UK, I looked down on pence variants as well, because they weren't what I was used to. Looking into the history, though, these are dictionary definition variants. No different from US price experiment or Canadian or newsstand or Canadian newsstand or what have you.

That's me done for a few weeks...

:baiting:

6 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I feel like ive been rumplestilskinned, but in a good way!

I knew you'd come through Aman :bigsmile: Just be thankful they actually noticed the second 10c price!

Thanks for the explanation - it was a great period for casual practices wasn't it. There are seven different Thorpe & Porter indicia scenarios, cents copies with T&P details, unexplained font variants. Random as anything. Great comics, from a great period in time when everything was seemingly crashed out with little care for consistency. I love it :cloud9:

5 hours ago, rakehell said:

That's me done for a few weeks...

:baiting:

You tell 'em Stephen! 

Now, get back in your box :grin: