• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rakehell said:

Spotted this on the Magazine Collectors thread -

579202361_Epic8.thumb.jpg.75f2854b727ab45912fd229d2f98d1f2.jpg.f47e3978a4b76e3b888bd9d92968b105.jpg

Is this news to anyone else?

Marwood? Have you ever seen a UK pence price variant on a magazine? hm

Yes, I've got a folder somewhere. I never got around to doing a post on them. I'll have a look when I get home from work Alice. 

54 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, I've got a folder somewhere. I never got around to doing a post on them. I'll have a look when I get home from work Alice. 

Thank you, Juanita. As always, much respect to your probing...umm...nature (?).

3 hours ago, rakehell said:

Thank you, Juanita. As always, much respect to your probing...umm...nature (?).

Can't find it hm

I remember looking for a specific copy of Epic Illustrated at the fair for someone but I'm damned if I can remember who / why. And I gathered lots of images as I recall, including the dual pricing cut off point etc. There were some other magazines too but I was never as interested in them as the comics if I'm honest. I did the Treasury Editions and parked magazines for another time. Maybe next year.

Where do any of you Pence guys currently put the value of Pence copies in relation to their Cent counterparts?  50%? 60%? 70%? More?

I haven't really examined it in a while.  Are they trending upwards?

I figure key issues would get the highest percentage.  I've got a mega key Pence (AF15) and I'm always trying to figure out how I should value it.

@gadzukes, if I am selling pence copies, I tend to list them at an even price with cents counterparts.  I look at it as a niche market, like newsstand collectors.  High grade (9.2 and up) pence keys may command a premium due to there not being as many copies available.  Overall, the price disparity was around 15% to 30% less for a pence copy but the gap may be closing as collectors are becoming more educated on them.  I can only speak from my experience and don't have anything scientific to go on.  @Get Marwood & I may have better information for you.  

4 hours ago, mec3437 said:

@gadzukes, if I am selling pence copies, I tend to list them at an even price with cents counterparts.  I look at it as a niche market, like newsstand collectors.  High grade (9.2 and up) pence keys may command a premium due to there not being as many copies available.  Overall, the price disparity was around 15% to 30% less for a pence copy but the gap may be closing as collectors are becoming more educated on them.  I can only speak from my experience and don't have anything scientific to go on.  @Get Marwood & I may have better information for you. 

What he said.

Check out the census as well. High grade pence copies are few and far between & they seem to appeal to high end collectors.

How's about you stick up a picture of your AF15? :baiting:

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Putting aside completists and run collectors most Marvel pence copies seem to be worth / prized notably less, especially the later ones. But some early books are now so scarce in any denomination that I find that they sell extremely well regardless, e.g. pre-hero. It all depends on the seller, buyer and appeal of the comic. Some UK dealers price pence and cents equally, others with a reduction for pence. Some dealers actively avoid pence. If money were no object, I would pay the same without hesitation. Others wouldn't. AF15 is a tough one as it is so highly prized and also highly expensive. Any suggestion that pence copies are somehow inferior will put off uneducated buyers. Who wants to slap down 30k for a book with a question mark? So you will need the right buyer to achieve parity. Some say that one day pence copies will carry a premium being as rare as, say, 35c variants. I don't see it myself. There will be a small group of people chasing them, and therefore only the basic rules of supply and demand will dictate what prices they achieve. Good luck @gadzukes

Thanks for your thoughts Marwood.

I think 1 extra thing I have going for my AF15 is that it's the highest graded on the census, which might give it a little bump in value.  I suspect though, that there are many pence Af15s that haven't been slabbed yet because they're sitting raw in the UK.  7.0 is a pretty high grade for a pence copy, but I suspect there's gotta be a higher grade than that.  Even Hulk 1 and TTA27 have higher graded pence copies which doesn't make sense to me.

Here's another question.

When you check the census on all Silver Marvel keys, it shows the Cent copy census and then you can scroll down and see the Pence copy census.  But for AF15 it doesn't have the pence copy census with the cent copy census.  You have to search out the AF15 pence census separately.  As far as I can tell Af15 is the only marvel silver key that the census handles this way.  Anyone have any idea why?

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

When you look up the census on AF15 it shows the pence copy as coming out one month later.  Weird.  None of the other keys show that.

I posted about that here:

On 11/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Meanwhile, and this is nothing new, just worth repeating, Amazing Fantasy 15 has a potentially unique indicia scenario.

There are two first printing copies - the pence and cents copies like so:

af15ci.thumb.jpg.eeb401a275612b3a7ba82f57118d5476.jpg af15pi.thumb.jpg.6e1a17d445d2a046521d373aa4e97e81.jpg

The pence copy has an additional line of indicia data - 'SOLE DISTRIBUTORS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM - THORPE & PORTER LTD' - just below the usual cents details.

In keeping with the practice at the time (to eliminate the confusion caused by long shipping times), the pence copy has the cover month removed like so:

af15p.PNG.4eeaa0c90a27a7301ff61ccbcef46160.PNG

And the US copy has the month of August:

af15c.PNG.cec3b65e502f06ccaa6480367e34fe25.PNG

But in what may be the only example of it's kind, both pence and cents indicias list the month as September 1962, not August:

530533653_af15cicrop.jpg.f5ac9a951c6ad9263f8c13a8504c255f.jpg

1538414813_af15picrop.jpg.37a97528488cb84c5b0ef20789fbb074.jpg

Hope you can make them out.

The GCD has this to say on the matter:

1285406573_af15augsep.2.thumb.PNG.c7af0632dfa1270b8952b0e9acf54a33.PNG

They say September is the correct date. 

So that's what I put in my spreadsheet. Thing is, when you look at the title - which was formerly Amazing Adult Fantasy (which itself was formerly Amazing Adventures) you can see August is missed as a sequential month:

334168270_af15augsep.thumb.PNG.3ba0b8a6334592e8826e3e36e14e0c14.PNG

Issues 3 to 14 are all sequential. It would make so much more sense for AF15 to be August wouldn't it....:wink:

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

So, what you're saying is that the Census lists the pence copy as Sept, when it really should be Aug.  

Good detective work.

Both cents and pence should be recorded as September, as both carry that date on their indicias. The pence copy has no cover date, the cents says August. So the cents copy has the contradictory info. Interesting that CGC take the indicia as the pence date, given the lack of cover month, but take the August cover date on the cents copy over its September indicia. I was taught to take the indicia as the correct detail. 

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Both cents and pence should be recorded as September, as both carry that date on their indicias. The pence copy has no cover date, the cents says August. So the cents copy has the contradictory info. Interesting that CGC take the indicia as the pence date, given the lack of cover month, but take the August cover date on the cents copy over its September indicia. I was taught to take the indicia as the correct detail. 

And I was always taught (here on the boards) that the Cent and Pence copies were printed at exactly the same time, not one month apart.

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

And I was always taught (here on the boards) that the Cent and Pence copies were printed at exactly the same time, not one month apart.

They were. Did I imply otherwise? 

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

No, I was agreeing (just worded it weird)

Ha! I was watching the final of Master Chef and thought I'd mistyped or something :bigsmile: