• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Senormac said:

How cool is that !!  A piece of English culture right here !! Thx 

The Book Exchange was another - their stamp blighted enhanced many a comic cover down the years :cloud9:

4 hours ago, Senormac said:
23 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The Popular Book Centre - exchangeable at half price

Seen on many a tatty old comic over here Mike  :)

1903354178_download(1).jpeg.f160cbaaed34440451a1fedde1e51a65.jpeg

How cool is that !!  A piece of English culture right here !! Thx 

I like the juxtaposition of the "Toilets" sign as well...,

Evening Steve.

I've just been idly perusing the Ebay US site and came across this item. The cover is a 12c issue but the note by the CGC graders call this a "pence edition".

I have contacted the seller for clarification but no reply as of yet. Is this something with which you are familiar,or is it a mis-attribution?

Amazing Spider-Man #1 Cgc 4.5 United kingdom Pence edition which says 12 cents.
treborweber (680 )

31 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Evening Steve.

I've just been idly perusing the Ebay US site and came across this item. The cover is a 12c issue but the note by the CGC graders call this a "pence edition".

I have contacted the seller for clarification but no reply as of yet. Is this something with which you are familiar,or is it a mis-attribution?

Amazing Spider-Man #1 Cgc 4.5 United kingdom Pence edition which says 12 cents.
treborweber (680 )

That, my Dear Stephen, is what we in the trade affectionately term a 'right Royal cock-up'.

Either that, or the 'pieces added to cover' were a 12c price, a month and a ton of tippex over the Thorpe & Porter indicia 9_9

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4c72cb3fa7ee41268e12d589ea42738f.jpg

20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That, my Dear Stephen, is what we in the trade affectionately term a 'right Royal cock-up'.

Either that, or the 'pieces added to cover' were a 12c price, a month and a ton of tippex over the Thorpe & Porter indicia 9_9

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4c72cb3fa7ee41268e12d589ea42738f.jpg

If this is a 'cut and shut' (I can't stop laughing at that @Kevin.J :bigsmile:), shouldn't CGC have noted it on the label? "Inked to look like US edition". Something like that. Otherwise, we may assume it's just yet another one of their labelling errors. It still may be, as it looks quite good. Not as obvious as Kevin's #10. 

19 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Someone has done a cut and shut on it, changed it from a pence to cents.

I have one too

10.thumb.jpg.3f3be28707f04b706493969244cec7ad.jpg

Great Caeser'sGhost! What does the indicia say Kevin?

Edited by Redshade

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

hm

cut.PNG.7620fa9f265d09690b743921d0ecd4a7.PNG shut.PNG.43a87865074bfb1d3ff55d97c1240590.PNG

Not a bad effort. Missed the full stop though.

Did they tippex out the T&P indicia Kevin?

@Kevin.J

Yeah, not tippex but something else, you can see it up against the light.

I bought it with full disclosure years ago as I needed it for my ASM collection at the time, I have long since replaced it but kept it as a curiosity.

Just now, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, not tippex but something else, you can see it up against the light.

I bought it with full disclosure years ago as I needed it for my ASM collection at the time, I have long since replaced it but kept it as a curiosity.

Unbelievable. Odd issue to do it on too, number 10. 

Better send it to PGX. 

Just now, Redshade said:

Wow Steve thine eyes are better than missen's. I would never have noticed the absent full stop.

And they'd've gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids!

Well I have probably had it 30+ years, so it wasnt such a valuable book at the time and Pence issues were thought of as reprints by US collectors at the time, so you can see why someone would have done it.

BTW my pic is a scan, it shows up a lot more, in hand it looks fine and a blurry pic would look okay I bet.

I think t he Ebay pic looks dodgy to me, smudging around the month and number, I bet its a cut and shut for sure :bigsmile:

Just now, Kevin.J said:

Well I have probably had it 30+ years, so it wasnt such a valuable book at the time and Pence issues were thought of as reprints by US collectors at the time, so you can see why someone would have done it.

BTW my pic is a scan, it shows up a lot more, in hand it looks fine and a blurry pic would look okay I bet.

I think t he Ebay pic looks dodgy to me, smudging around the month and number, I bet its a cut and shut for sure :bigsmile:

It's been blown over :bigsmile:

2 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

The dark black stands out a mile doesn't it, compared to the rest of the cover. 

It seems that the seller doesn't know either. I've just received this reply :

Hi Stephen,
Actually I'm not 100% sure. Have almost every spider man comic, even your Super Spider-Man & super heroes, like the horizontal an old magazine editions.
Definitely not one of those, l picked it up for a few hundred less than the start price about 5 yrs ago. As it intrigues me as an oddity and honestly l never opened the CGC seal to look.
There's another 4.5 refurbished someone posted for about a Grand more up for the list price but doesn't say UK edition with the American .12price on definitely unique and unusual from cgc.
Either it's an error or a misprint ie. British comic with a US cover touched up.
Honestly Steph I'm glad someone from your side of the pond is interested as its been my one favorite comic, displayed in an antique glass cabinet as simply a conversation piece for the last half a decade!
Rare refurb at a reducible price to start just for the possibility of a one of a kind kinda factor, of course international shipping an insurance included.
Thanks!
Rob

Edited by Redshade