• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

Note that Spellbound 56 uses the splash page from Avengers 5 as its cover, whilst Spellbound 41 uses the actual cover of TTA 35 and in both instances the fuller original artwork is used. How on earth could CGC say that  SB 56 is a "UK Edition" of an American comic when no such comic with that cover was ever produced in the US?

SpellboundSplash56.jpg

TTA35.jpg

Edited by Redshade

7 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Note that Spellbound 56 uses the splash page from Avengers 5, whilst Spellbound 41 uses the actual cover of TTA 35 and in both instances the fuller original artwork is used. How on earth could CGC say that  SB 56 is a "UK Edition" of an American comic when no such comic with that cover was ever produced in the US?

SpellboundSplash56.jpgTTA35.jpg

Yep, that's my point Stephen. It's misleading. It can take time to get people to change their perceptions though, especially when they have been long held. And lets face it, if anyone at CGC was even the tiniest bit OCD it would drive them nuts to contemplate changing their approach and, in doing so, have different examples of labelling practice out there.

But, as they did with the UK Price Variant label change, over time the 'incorrectly' labelled slabs will be in the minority and many may get reholdered or broken out. Its a bit like asking them (CGC) to specify newsstand vs directs.

But at the end of the day, it gets dark, and the quicker you do it, the less pain you'll have in the long run.

15 hours ago, CJ Design said:

Great Thread...Thought I'd throw this in the mix. Love the pence, but what I really love...Double Cover.

thor uk (2).jpeg

Nice. Did it cost two shillings then?  :)

Hi Geoff

Welcome to the boards and great first post.

I think most of the UK guys here can appreciate what you are saying, I always wondered why every collection or comic shop I seen always had the same issues missing as I did.

I traveled all over the UK and still couldn't fill my gaps, then I started to read about some comics being ND ( not distributed) and suddenly it all made much more sense.

I have managed to keep hold of most of my comics I bought as a kid and read to death, I have upgraded a lot to better condition but I still like to have a quick read of new (old) comics as I buy them :) 

23 hours ago, Pinkerton said:

Then I found this thread. Suddenly I was taken back to 1963, written by people who love those books that I once read, without worrying about tatty covers.

Ah, bless you Geoff. What a lovely post to log on and find this evening. I hope my love for the medium came through as you endured read through the thread. Who gives a hoot what the big copies are worth, eh? Look at all those lovely tatty old books hiding at the other end of the spectrum (see also 'Charlton Comics')

Just in case you may have missed it, many do here, you can find the up to date summaries and issues numbers for all seven pence publishers in the link below, as well as some other old research ramblings:

Morlar's Doom Palace of Doom

You're welcome to pop back any time Geoff. I like hearing from people like you who understand.

Thanks for posting my unknown friend and welcome to the forum - it made my evening :)

Steve

23 hours ago, Pinkerton said:

Thank you, and all your colleagues who helped along the way. The work is appreciated - it would be good to see it published.

Keep well, Geoff

May I add my welcome to the threads. Marwood has done a ball-breaking amount of work and I too have been exhorting him to publish his findings in one medium or another. Maybe one day.:wishluck:

27 minutes ago, Redshade said:

May I add my welcome to the threads. Marwood has done a ball-breaking amount of work and I too have been exhorting him to publish his findings in one medium or another. Maybe one day.:wishluck:

If I do, I'll publish it under the pseudonym of 'Buster Gonad' :)

9 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Buster Bollock has a better ring to it don't you think?

Like a piercing do you mean Stephen? :eek:

34 minutes ago, Redshade said:

Hi Kevin J, Marwood and Redshade and thanks for the great welcome. I prefer Buster Gonad, of course. :)

As far as publication of the accumulated pence data goes, my opinion (as someone not very knowledgeable about the Overstreet Price Guide) is that it belongs in the Price Guide as a stand-alone expert article. I don't have the Guide from ?2010 when Jon McClure (I think) defined the variants including 1A for the first time, but I think the page count for that article was around 20 pages or more? I would argue that what the Price Guide needs far more than endless very dull lists of record prices achieved (which those genuinely interested can find on GPA or CGC - and much more up to date too!) is information about the breadth of comic book lore around the world. The richness of it, not the money.

I would also very tentatively suggest that the list of Overstreet advisors (all I am certain deservedly eminent in the fields) might benefit from a few more non-North American voices. Among the 150 or so listed advisors there are around a dozen from Canada, one from Australia and one based in China, the rest being our friends in the US. None from the UK or indeed anywhere else in the world. Heavens to Betsy, surely four or five UK-based collectors or dealers should be invited. Or maybe they have been, and declined.... It would be just great to see some UK-based people in the Market Report section.

1 minute ago, Pinkerton said:

Hi Kevin J, Marwood and Redshade and thanks for the great welcome. I prefer Buster Gonad, of course. :)

As far as publication of the accumulated pence data goes, my opinion (as someone not very knowledgeable about the Overstreet Price Guide) is that it belongs in the Price Guide as a stand-alone expert article. I don't have the Guide from ?2010 when Jon McClure (I think) defined the variants including 1A for the first time, but I think the page count for that article was around 20 pages or more? I would argue that what the Price Guide needs far more than endless very dull lists of record prices achieved (which those genuinely interested can find on GPA or CGC - and much more up to date too!) is information about the breadth of comic book lore around the world. The richness of it, not the money.

I would also very tentatively suggest that the list of Overstreet advisors (all I am certain deservedly eminent in the fields) might benefit from a few more non-North American voices. Among the 150 or so listed advisors there are around a dozen from Canada, one from Australia and one based in China, the rest being our friends in the US. None from the UK or indeed anywhere else in the world. Heavens to Betsy, surely four or five UK-based collectors or dealers should be invited. Or maybe they have been, and declined.... It would be just great to see some UK-based people in the Market Report section.

John McClure kindly did an introduction for me to become an advisor a while back. I followed that up and never heard back from them (Overstreet). John was mystified as I recall. I'd have loved to have put something together but there you go. John has encorporated my research data into his own market report though which was nice of him, and for me to see in print. Maybe this stuff is just too niche for them, I don't know. It's important to us, but outside of a small group, few care alas.

...I thought they might be interested in the US Price Font Variant work I did though, Overstreet, and it's link to my pence research. That would have made a cool article I think and may have appealed to both US and UK collectors. It's the way it is though. Look at all the work John did, especially on IW Super Comics. And barely a flicker of interest from anyone. Money, it seems, is all the majority can think about.

Not all of course, we have a merry band here on the boards who appreciate the esoteric. For myself, I've always been a bit of a loner so it doesn't bother me that much if few pay attention. I have a moan every now and again, too often probably, as do others here who post largely under the radar (and in some cases have given up posting due to the lack of interest) but that's life isn't it. I like it outside of the circle though, truth be told. Always have. 

Night boys :)