• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, rakehell said:

And adding  (& removing incorrectly added) pence variants to GCD

Give em this one Petunia. Make sure you crop it so that you can't tell for sure that it's a comic though won't you:

37.thumb.jpg.5f3c925931c7c10ac1c0801e2332dff6.jpg

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sounds fun. What are they calling them nowadays? Shillipennies? 

They insist on "British" only, which bugged me until I remembered that I was adding a variant. So, really they're noting a UK Pence Price variant as simply a British variant. Sounds sort of anticlimactic, but at least it's accurate. :)

1 minute ago, rakehell said:

They insist on "British" only, which bugged me until I remembered that I was adding a variant. So, really they're noting a UK Pence Price variant as simply a British variant. Sounds sort of anticlimactic, but at least it's accurate. :)

Their site, their rules. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I know. Well done for finding it(thumbsu

I never. Chap called Rich did. The jammy :censored:

21 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Their site, their rules. 

Yeah. And I don't envy them, trying to maintain consistency throughout a project so vast. It's a pain in the hay-ho having to trim your scans, and word your entries exactly right. Plus, they'll only let you add 6 changes at a time. I know you had some back & forth about your scans. At 6 scans a go, it would take years to load all of your images. I think your files are just too...umm...comprehensive. 

I tried to edit the entries for some of the Greek editions I had last year, using Google translate to try to identify the story titles. Every last one was rejected. Don't know who to blame for that one. hm

On 8/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, Iron Man 63 said:

Hi all, I've been working on sorting out the collection, and I got a few graded:

IMG_7752.JPG

Cor :cloud9:

On 8/24/2020 at 5:45 PM, Timeless icons said:

I was attempting to identify some Disney books in another thread and it was suggested that I post these in the "Marwood" thread.

What wally told you to do that?! :grin:

Only joking Timeless. Welcome. Nice books you have there.

I've found another new one. Will post it next week along with some other pence ramblings :)

On 9/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What wally told you to do that?! :grin:

Only joking Timeless. Welcome. Nice books you have there.

I've found another new one. Will post it next week along with some other pence ramblings :)

Nice to see you back Steve.

We await agog for any ramblings, coherent or otherwise that thou hast.

1 hour ago, Redshade said:

Nice to see you back Steve.

We await agog for any ramblings, coherent or otherwise that thou hast.

Coherent? Me? Never!

Come on then :)

A while back I put out an all-points bulletin on the 20p version of Marvel Super Heroes #104 for which only one copy has surfaced in all my years of researching UKPVs. Details on page 64.

No one has come forward since with sight or confirmation of a second copy and I haven’t found another one myself despite extensive trawling.

What I have found though – bizarrely - is an eBay listing for the original printing plate of the 20p copy. Here are the pictures from the listing:

876952743_MSH104PrintingPlate.thumb.jpg.2c837ca4831a795ba985dcab1a96f856.jpg

1114258973_MSH104PrintingPlate2.thumb.jpg.289a4f7258c01d0c6981098ffb3a2a40.jpg

453344738_MSH104PrintingPlate3.thumb.jpg.c6267fc1840fc54a37150f9cde9a0aae.jpg

How cool is that. I do love a production related thing.

The eBay listing description is quite interesting and acts as yet another anecdotal scrap of evidence that the UKPVs were printed in the US of A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-MARVEL-SUPER-HEROES-THE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-104-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-PRINTING-PLATE/124304813148?hash=item1cf124ec5c:g:0cgAAOSwyFBfPUAM

1940619814_MSH104PrintingPlate4.thumb.PNG.e09f06e9d777e4416cd135a0ca7a76b7.PNG

Rotten to think of all those melted down plates isn’t it :eek:

It’s far too expensive a thing for me to consider buying of course but I do find it amazing that I can only find one copy of the book that it printed over here in the UK. That’s not to say that there aren’t any others of course – but the absence is telling and perhaps indicates a low print run being the final UKPV month. Plus it would likely be a low print run book anyway, being a reprint title. I've said that before, probably.

Anyway, the things you find when trawling the interweb, eh....

104.thumb.jpg.9c16e5da3c7bfb5e394f8bbf2cc3bc6c.jpg

Now, Marvel Super Heroes stood at two UKPVs (numbers 72 & 80) for sixty thousand years until I happened across the aforeposted lone number 104 at a fair last year. That lead me to research the title all over again to see if I could have missed any others and, of course, none surfaced.

Until the other month that is, when #103 inexplicably appeared not once, but twice in quick succession (I bought them both):

103.thumb.jpg.237bca7a69dce086449d8e372475aa47.jpg 103b.thumb.jpg.3ef862afae3eafa77010e1053353f49d.jpg

Flippin' Nora!

Now, again, the casual reader must be thinking how rubbish my research methods must be if a book like this can evade capture for so long with me being Mister Pence Stuff and everything like that. And I won’t bore you with my ‘how long and hard I looked for it for ten years’ defence again. But my God in Heaven, how scarce must some of these damn things be?

It begs the question, again, whether others are missing and, of course, I’ve reassessed all the 20p books again and again in recent months. I always look for the patterns though remember, and this one may tell a story – both MSH and MTU both have the two final issues sitting there in 20p covers:

1003634635_MSHvsMTU(220peach).thumb.PNG.7e1d04aeeb384ea33c6172c3f827dfbf.PNG

A kind of symmetry that may or may not be telling.

And for those not wondering, I’ve done the ‘adding all the 20p books each month up’ thing and can find no pattern which might indicate a consistent UKPV production limit per calendar month as indeed there has been in other periods of Marvel UKPV history:

20p.PNG.6eba896375928733aad029e9cf642c14.PNG

This may mean there are some missing still. Or that there aren’t because there was no specific UKPV limit by cover month. Or that any limit was set by something other than the cover month (e.g. 'on sale date') if it even existed. Or something else.

My gut tells me that that’s the last one that will surface now though, MSH #103.

Probably.

Oh, what do I know.

Anyway, 3,022 UKPVs! :headbang: