• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

Just now, Kevin.J said:

Whatever they are called they will always be Pence copies to me.

Outside the CGC boards I bet most Americans think they are UK comics, as in printed in the UK no matter what we call them.

As price variants I dont think they will ever be accepted outside the UK except by a few niche collectors.

Lets face it, its only us that care about them anyway 

You might be right Kevin. Let's discuss it further at the next Annual UKPV Appreciation Society gathering shall we? I've booked the usual broom cupboard. 

10 minutes ago, Antoni Veys said:

Just returned from this auction:

https://www.hartleysauctions.co.uk/sales/toy-collectors-sales/ag031020/view-lot/611/

Many early pence copies, great shape, but great prices too.

FF 1 and Spiderman 1 both fetched 5 figures.

Nice copies. Did you buy anything?

Another anomaly in distribution dates was that Amazing Adventures # 6 arrived before # 5.

At that time, the cover date on the latest available DCs was 3 months or so behind real-world time, and the Atlas/Marvel titles roughly kept pace with the calendar.

On browsing in my local papershop in late September 1961, I unearthed Amazing Adventures # 6, dated November, a situation I had not come across before. I pointed this out to the newsagent, but for some unaccountable reason he did not consider the matter worthy of further investigation.

Issue # 5 arrived at a nearby shop about 3 weeks later, in line with expectations, and order was restored to the Universe.

3 minutes ago, Antoni Veys said:

Another anomaly in distribution dates was that Amazing Adventures # 6 arrived before # 5.

At that time, the cover date on the latest available DCs was 3 months or so behind real-world time, and the Atlas/Marvel titles roughly kept pace with the calendar.

On browsing in my local papershop in late September 1961, I unearthed Amazing Adventures # 6, dated November, a situation I had not come across before. I pointed this out to the newsagent, but for some unaccountable reason he did not consider the matter worthy of further investigation.

Issue # 5 arrived at a nearby shop about 3 weeks later, in line with expectations, and order was restored to the Universe.

Probably due to the Miller to T&P distribution handover Antoni. Must have confused everyone :bigsmile:

I invested in lots 591, 593, 594 and 596, setting me back some £2700.

I would have like to have gone for the FF and Spiderman, as many would have upgraded my own copies, but the prices were a bit over my budget.

This auction house charges 17 and a half %Buyer's Premium (21% with VAT), not as bad as some.

I met the vendor after the sale, and he was unaware of the dded Buyers' Premium, but he declared himself happy with the outcome. Total realised was roughly 40K, out of which he can expect 27K or so, but, as usual, the auctioneers did not rush to bring the 2 commissions they charge to the attention of the vendor, preferring to tuck it away in the small print.

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

I prefer UK Price Variant. This defines it as nothing but the price being different from the regular US version, whereas UK Distribution Variant might be construed as being something completely different to and produced separately from US version or even UK Produced. I think UK Price variant ties in with terminology of 30c/35c price variants and Canadian price variant both of which are terms used in the hobby.
It’s been an uphill battle to get collectors to understand what UK Price variants are, collectors know what 30c/35c price variants and Canadian price variants are and if UK price variants are going to get acceptance I think it’s best to tag along with these and keep similar naming terminology. 
Although I might be completely wrong. 

You took the words right out of my mouth Garystar. I was formulating just such a reply in my head as i read Marwood's post.

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Seriously, what do you guys think? Is the existing terminology too embedded now do you think for the community to support a change? Give me your thoughts.

I think that is is best left alone Steve. It's been such a struggle (by you) to get to where we are. If there should have to  be any change in the nomenclature I would be happy enough with just "UK variant" but that is just a personal preference and not one that I expect others to agree with.

Edited by Redshade

2 minutes ago, Redshade said:

I think that is is best left alone Steve. Its 'been such a struggle (by you) to get to where we are. If there should have to  be any change in the nomenclature I would be happy enough with just "UK variant" but that is just a personal preference and not one that I expect others to agree with.

I know Stephen, I'm just thinking out loud really. Despite being one of those who have championed the greater understanding of pence copies I've always retained a slight niggle in my mind that the term "UK Price Variant" impacts the purity, for want of a better word, of a price variant of a book priced with the same currency. There's no question anymore about what pence copies are and how they were produced if you're prepared to look, and it can often be difficult to arrive at a nomenclature that satisfies all. There's just something about that 'distribution' word that appeals to me though and I just felt like discussing it.

Anyway - new Dell UKPV over the road if anyone's paying attention. 

2 hours ago, Antoni Veys said:

https://www.hartleysauctions.co.uk/sales/toy-collectors-sales/ag031020/view-lot/611/

I was watching that auction even though I knew that the prices were going to be well out of my reach. It looks as if it was an original owner collection of pence variants and very well looked after. I would have given my left leg to have been able to afford that AS-M 1. £13,500 !!! Plus fees on top of that.

EDIT. That's $16,800 dollars. And I believe that fees are usually 20-25% or thereabouts for a total of  $21000 or £16875. Why do I torture myself so?

image.thumb.png.d1e0d0c5bd8b69f64c47c7c19a1af0cc.png

Edited by Redshade

3 hours ago, Antoni Veys said:

I invested in lots 591, 593, 594 and 596, setting me back some £2700.

I would have like to have gone for the FF and Spiderman, as many would have upgraded my own copies, but the prices were a bit over my budget.

This auction house charges 17 and a half %Buyer's Premium (21% with VAT), not as bad as some.

I met the vendor after the sale, and he was unaware of the dded Buyers' Premium, but he declared himself happy with the outcome. Total realised was roughly 40K, out of which he can expect 27K or so, but, as usual, the auctioneers did not rush to bring the 2 commissions they charge to the attention of the vendor, preferring to tuck it away in the small print.

You picked up some nice lots there Antoni (especially those GL), these are exactly the comics that I would have had a bid on if I were a lottery winner and had the cash. :)

Thank you.

I should have put in a bit higher bid for the Atom lots as well - the 3 Showcase were there.

But I think the best value for money was the Flash bundle - No 123 was there, in tip top shape.

All you have to do is win the lottery and you will scoop these up next time around. Keep risking your quid.

It was indeed an original owner collection, spoke to him after the sale.

First question obviously was 'have you got any more?', alas the response was in the negative.

Oh, and they had the cheek to charge a fiver for the catalogue, most of which was Meccano and Dinky toys, etc.

Room was full of sad old codgers trying to recapture their childhood, not a bit like us, eh?

At least viewing and bidding was live. Fed up of not being able to see the stuff up close.

It has been a long, long time since i saw such quality stuff in such condition. The publicity it will no doubt generate may tempt some coffin dodgers to cash in.

8 hours ago, Antoni Veys said:

Some lovely books there, The FF1 is one of the best copies I have ever seen, the AMS 1 is a beauty too, I would love to upgrade to those, I doubt I would pay that price without seeing the books in hand though as you never know the true story from just a cover scan ;) 

1st time I have seen this auction house, thanks for the link, I will watch for future actions.

Some of their estimates looked very low, especially the early FF stuff, catch them on a quiet day there may be some nice bargains

2 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

Some lovely books there, The FF1 is one of the best copies I have ever seen, the AMS 1 is a beauty too, I would love to upgrade to those, I doubt I would pay that price without seeing the books in hand though as you never know the true story from just a cover scan ;) 

1st time I have seen this auction house, thanks for the link, I will watch for future actions.

Some of their estimates looked very low, especially the early FF stuff, catch them on a quiet day there may be some nice bargains

That's the point I think mate. Start with  low estimates to draw people in and then get the punters bidding against each other. All these auctions are online and there is no way to catch any "nice bargains" any more.

Edited by Redshade

On 10/4/2020 at 3:31 AM, Kevin.J said:

Now, Now Kev,

There will not be any quiet days, now you know about the auctions :foryou:

On 10/4/2020 at 6:00 AM, Redshade said:

That's the point I think mate. Start with  low estimates to draw people in and then get the punters bidding against each other. All these auctions are online and there is no way to catch any "nice bargains" any more.

I dunno, I still find bargains from time to time, just as well mind as I cant afford anything that I need  :shy:

8 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

Hi Brian my old pal, missed you man, you okay ?

Hi Kev,

Still around collecting those funny books, though given up on new titles as my OCD and being completist could not keep up with those darn variants.

Which has meant more funds to look backward, so working on my bronze age book.

You well?

8 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

I dunno, I still find bargains from time to time, just as well mind as I cant afford anything that I need  :shy:

I apologise if I seemed a bit abrupt with my answer to your post. It reflected, if anything, my frustration at being outbid in all the auctions that I tried to participate in and in no way was meant to be an admonishment to your goodself.
You are no doubt aware that all the auction houses put their sales online so that one doesn't have to be physically there to bid, some being audio only with others being video and audio?
I wish you well in your searches.

Stephen.