• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Every so often, I like to browse old UK fanzines to see if any snippets jump out that fit with some of my UKPV research. Many do, as it turns out which adds to the comfort that I've captured them all correctly. More or less.

Here's one such snippet, from The Panelologist #5 from May 1976:

Here's another clipping from issue #6 (Aug-Sep 76):

737787001_FF176b.PNG.36427f225eed0b227a07910058b0033c.PNG

Did Fantastic Four indeed not come over for two months?

70211833_FF176.thumb.PNG.931033c5dbfdde69af8320f153db64d7.PNG

Not bad! Explains why I've never found #176 I suppose.

And did X-Men, Premier and Spotlight stop?

879453049_FF176c.thumb.PNG.3bcdbf6890ff9b964d361c3b90c9ff4f.PNG

Yup.

Nice :cloud9:

For those who find UKPV history interesting, my early UK distribution review thread below is developing nicely and touching on many UKPV related points (e.g. gap theory):

A nice read on a rainy afternoon if you fancy it :)

3 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

They are not Marvel Pence copies, they are British reprints

as in

Marvel Pence Variant Verses British reprint

01.thumb.jpg.ad02b0eaba703a636121f4901a127959.jpgP5250008.thumb.JPG.141ea3b5e84809685bcb7c0f9c6ee6d9.JPG

They do look like some nice copies though :) 

Dang my bad, and I filled the whole page and got all excited hahaha :shy: WHOOPS!!

Thank you for clarification!

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Dang my bad, and I filled the whole page and got all excited hahaha :shy: WHOOPS!!

Thank you for clarification!

Hey a lot of us here in the UK started on this stuff, its printed on cheap newsprint type material and doesnt fair well condition wise, so its always nice to see these nice copies from a nostalgia point of view, back in the day when my collection was far from complete, it was filled with  these as gap fillers so I could read all the stories :x

1 minute ago, Kevin.J said:

Hey a lot of us here in the UK started on this stuff, its printed on cheap newsprint type material and doesnt fair well condition wise, so its always nice to see these nice copies from a nostalgia point of view, back in the day when my collection was far from complete, it was filled with  these as gap fillers so I could read all the stories :x

Ya I had missed part of the stores video, when I tuned in he was touting the color and presentation  :)

I tried to to at least make the pictures smaller or less cumbersome 

glad to see really any UK copies here, whenever I find something that looks to have pence on the cover, it tends to be a Charlton. 

this time my excitement got the best of me lol

glad to hear they served a purpose if even reader filler!

4 hours ago, comiczguy2 said:

great thread, have a question i have a bunch of tarzans and westerns but they are from the 1950's but you mention they started in 1960???

Hi comiczguy2.
This thread is about the UK Price Variants which were produced in the US for the UK market EXACTLY the same as the US editions (right down to the indicias and ads).
The ones you have will be UK reprints and will have UK publishers and printers in  the indicia as well as UK ads.:)

Edited by Redshade

On 11/4/2020 at 10:07 PM, AJD said:

I would now like to be considered for the "least interesting book posted in this thread for quite some time" award please. :grin:

A great suggestion for the next thread! I think I've got that beat, but I can't be arsed to dig anything out.:insane: